Better quality of life or Not?!

JonandVicky

I dont know where you live but believe me, Adelaide had days of 46 this year and you can't go out in it, unless you're nuts. obviously you live somewhere better than me. i have no sea breeze and souless 'pubs' and I know I'm not alone in my experience.

Perth had a few days over 40 and I just checked what Adelaide got. You got 13 days above 40 and 5 consecutive over 42. Your hottest was 44.7. So maybe had it worse than Perth. Sounds like you just chose a bad place to live in Adelaide, no pubs, not near enough to the Ocean to get sea breezes. You can make those mistakes anywhere.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my view every western country and not a few Asian ones offer this elusive thing called life quality or at least are in the mix. The sun will certainly add to quality of life for those in search of that. If you don't like the sun, why come to Australia? Go to Canada or even New Zealand or Ireland.

There has been an exaggeration in my view of the past decade or two into the dangers to such an extent that so many are in fear of it. Of course some care must be taken but not forgetting the health properties resulting from sunshine equally. Especially important as we age. Anyhow I enjoy the sun for what's it worth wherever I am. Just as I enjoy a cold crisp day with snow. Or the tropics and the vegetation and nature resulting.

Far more relevant issues than the weather which appears to tax folk's minds to such a degree.

That's rubbish, we spend hours on the beach and have done since we got here. Never stayed in the house due to it being too hot. If we lived in land a bit maybe, but near the Ocean there are cooling breezes and if it's hot, jump in the Ocean for 10 minutes.

If it's going to worry you putting sunscreen on your kids then it will be a problem. I like the use of the "slathering" makes it sound a really onerous task that takes hours and the kids hate or something. Really you get used to doing it to young kids and then the kids do it themselves as they get older. There are loads of factor 30, waterproof sunscreens that last for hours without having to re-apply.

It is possible to get burned in winter yes, the sun is out and it was 24 degrees on Saturday. I've not started wearing sunscreen yet though and was down the beach all morning Saturday, as was the youngest and my wife. None of us burned.

We have a couple of pubs in walking distance, one of them very popular, right opposite the beach, coffee shop underneath, park across the road. I think we are on an average income for what we do but the lifestyle we have here we couldn't have in the UK. Maybe somewhere like the Algarve, if we could get jobs.

We've never felt the need to pop back and didn't go back for 13 years when we first got here. Only then under duress as everyone had been here at least once, it was also the in-laws golden wedding. It's expensive and there are loads of other places to go to before we would want a holiday back in the UK.

Well rubbish to you but I personally know folk that prefer to stay under air con than go out unless necessary during the heat of the summer. Hardly an unbelievable statement. Although wouldn't stop me, although some would want more than going to the beach as a pointer to a better life quality.

I am going to go against the majority and say I have found the people in Australia much, much more friendly and welcoming than those in the UK. We had moved house 3 times in the UK before emigrating and whilst we were happy enough we felt as though there had to be more to life. We didn't miss family that much, either, except for parents who have all gone now. In fact they didn't even bother to say goodbye to us and when they visited it was not a very good experience for any of us because they were total freeloaders. Ah well.

We expected to be blown away by Aus on our first visit having heard so much about dream lifestyles and opportunities. Looking back maybe that was the issue, and if we had gone with fewer expectations perhaps things would have been different. I sometimes read posts on PIO that could be written by people I know or have met in Aus, and it’s as though they see or experience something that eludes me, as much as I enjoy the country as a holiday destination, I have never wanted to live there.

I’ve thought about this a lot over the years and think it has more to do with leaving an old life behind and finding a new niche, where you fit and there are opportunities for you and your family to enjoy a life different to the one you left behind. A move several hundred miles within the UK achieved that for us, others go further afield. That doesn’t necessarily make one country or lifestyle better than another it just means that people need and value different things at different stages in life. Tx

Being in our first year of living in a new country like all things it is a real mix of emotions. Living in Adelaide is amazing and we frequently remind ourselves how lucky we are. The milder Winter is a real bonus but as we always knew, you really miss family and close friends, and the time difference makes keeping in touch a little challenging! Day to day living, working, supermarket shops are the same wherever you are, but our experience has been that overall lifestyle is better, people we have met have been very welcoming and friendly, and the more relaxed lifestyle is everything we were hoping for.

I hate to fall back on statistics, but then, just as it is true, statistically, that Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, so it is also true, statistically, that the vast majority of migrants to Australia have positive experiences and make a success of their lives. In addition, around half of that minority who go back to the UK, end up returning permanently to Australia.

The sad thing about threads like this, is that potential migrants assume that the unhappy minority are actually a majority. It's just not true!

I love meeting people with a proper Notts accent! Still cant get used to the 'Me duck' statement! Hubby says I have developed a Notts accent twang. I used to say No (prounounced 'now') now I say no (prounounced 'narw'). lol

yeah ...I like Nottingham city centre....trent bridge and the 2 football grounds , all within a stones throw .....that " eh up me duck " is very regional ...from tamworth up to leics ...derby and notts ....my other favourite is a friend from chesterfield who says " CHUFFIN HELL FIRE " ...I fell about the first time I heard that ...funny

I just heard scouse ex footballer peter reid talking about the cricket ....England v india ....how can people mix up the brummie and scouse accents .......

his pronunciation of Alistair cook was class .....Alistair cooooook ( where as nine would be cuck ) ....... ,his piece on the radio was that unintentionally good I pulled the van over just to listen to a scouser talking about cricket :biglaugh:

Our quality of life is better in Australia.

We liked where we lived in the UK but my husband had a long commute and worked long hours. We both worked full time but struggled to make ends meet.

We tried to get out every weekend, with the dog and the kids, but my ears are very sensitive and the wind would often make them very sore unless I wore ear muffs (which are uncomfortable and unsightly!).

I was working in the Nhs, I'd had no pay rise for several years and my case load was ridiculous and unsafe.

Things weren't all bad. We had family around and good friends and we loved exploring the local area when the weather was good.

We arrived in Australia just over a year ago and our expectations weren't huge.

We made friends quickly, we rent a large house with a pool, my husband was given the opportunity to retrain in a new career, my job is far less stressful and I earn more money, we get out every weekend in winter to take the dog to the dog beach and in summer we practically live outside. We love camping and walking etc.

i love the weather here, the blue skies and warmth (although not today, it's yuk!)

Things aren't perfect, we miss people and some aspects of Aussie culture still feel alien.

It all depends on personal circumstances - I wouldn't listen to people who say you won't settle if .... Or you will settle if ....

It depends on lots of things including: luck, preparation, personality and whether or not you get gripped by the dreaded homesickness.

For us, it's worked out. It doesn't mean I don't like the UK and you certainly won't hear me slag it off. But our life here is better.

I spoke to an English bloke today, working in the garage below my unit. 'You're a Pommie,' I said (hope he won't report me for 'racism'!!!!) We had a brief chat, 'where are you from?' 'Which footie team do you go for?' 'How long have you been here?' Then I asked him why he liked it here? The weather! He and his wife were sick of the dreary, dull, English days. I think he was happy here anyway, and just happy that his wife liked it too.

I think I meant isolation as in the physical ie not being able to interact with people. That to me is isolation. If you live in a city in Australia, you are not really isolation, as you have contact with other people. If your mind is wandering back to Europe as in your want to be there, then yes, you may feel isolated, but that is what i meant by a mindset. If you are happy to live and work in Australia then you surely do not think that way. To me it's a case of where is "home".

Perth had a few days over 40 and I just checked what Adelaide got. You got 13 days above 40 and 5 consecutive over 42. Your hottest was 44.7. So maybe had it worse than Perth. Sounds like you just chose a bad place to live in Adelaide, no pubs, not near enough to the Ocean to get sea breezes. You can make those mistakes anywhere.

What's being overlooked is that the high temperatures in Australian summer time is shade tempreture .. Stand in the sunlight and you can plus another 10 easy

Much of a muchness.

It depends on the life you left behind. I think a lot of people who left 'The North', places like Wigan, Bolton and Bradford, look on Australia as a dream destination.

I came from 'the South', I didn't leave because of Britain 'going to the dogs', 'to[sic] much immigration' and all that. I left because the wife had always wanted to go home, and I was keen to give Australia a(nother) try. Our quality of life is no better or worse here. Its just a place. With horrific politics (just thought I'd throw that in).

As such I'm very sceptical about people who bang on about Australia being an egalitarian utopia. Sure the beaches are stunning. The weather is mostly better than Britain. Also, the coffee is apparently awesome, but I drink tea.

Yeah coffee is a lot better as is the general stadard of living for most people.

So Australia on your own is better than UK with your wife and Kids???

WOW...you must have really hit the jackpot here...although I cant think of anything in the world that I would choose over my wife and kids. Each to their own I guess.

Much of a muchness.

It depends on the life you left behind. I think a lot of people who left 'The North', places like Wigan, Bolton and Bradford, look on Australia as a dream destination.

I came from 'the South', I didn't leave because of Britain 'going to the dogs', 'to[sic] much immigration' and all that. I left because the wife had always wanted to go home, and I was keen to give Australia a(nother) try. Our quality of life is no better or worse here. Its just a place. With horrific politics (just thought I'd throw that in).

As such I'm very sceptical about people who bang on about Australia being an egalitarian utopia. Sure the beaches are stunning. The weather is mostly better than Britain. Also, the coffee is apparently awesome, but I drink tea.

Is there anyone that still believes Australia is an egalitarian utopia? As for the coffee, at least here in Perth, is over rated, over priced and often made by uni students or WHV's folk. I returned a cup twice a few days ago as asked for it very hot. At $4 a pop sometimes more, I insist on getting what I ask and pay for.

I am going to go against the majority and say I have found the people in Australia much, much more friendly and welcoming than those in the UK. We had moved house 3 times in the UK before emigrating and whilst we were happy enough we felt as though there had to be more to life. We didn't miss family that much, either, except for parents who have all gone now. In fact they didn't even bother to say goodbye to us and when they visited it was not a very good experience for any of us because they were total freeloaders. Ah well.

Don't see either as being particularly friendly. Both somewhat reserved in manner and keep largely to themselves.

Sure, you can sit in it, if you want to end up like those shrunken old Aussies I've seen...also, i'm only 36 and have had to have 2 dodgy skin cancers removed- and i don't think the full effects of constantly using sunscreen have been fully investigated. They use very heavy chemicals and people rely on it way too much here instead of staying out of it. i enjoy my ten minutes in the sun, but it's not worth the risk long term.

I think it depends on skin types. I have known a young woman get skin cancer that never went into the sun and if did to play net ball for example, only did so when covered and creamed. On the other hand I am always tanned in summer never used cream and look far younger than my years. Sun gives a sense of well being and vital to good health. I prefer the tropics myself as find the humidity better for skin than the dry heat found here in Perth.

Melbourne has just been voted most liveable city in the world for something like 4 years in a row.

As well as most friendly city.

So yes I would say overall your life will be better.

There are many Australia haters on here, quoll, flag and others - so ignore them.

Archived