Bali Holiday? Has anyone been?

Que Sera Sera

Was that the whole of Bali you're comparing to Benidorm Weegie, or just the place you stayed? It's like going to Benidorm and then assuming the rest of Spain is like that, which it isn't. I've been to Benidorm as a teenager with mates and loved it, one of the best holidays I've ever had. Been to Majorca and Ibiza too. All lively hell holes when you get older but great for teens early 20's who go for guaranteed sun, cheap booze, nightclubs that don't close, acts you can't see when your at home (be that Aus or UK) things to do you can't do at home, sex like you only seem to get on holiday when everyone else is in the same mood looking for the same thing.

When I got a bit older and had a partner we went to different places that had a totally different vibe. Still went to Spain a few times and even small Islands like Ibiza and Majorca have some fantastic quiet places to go that don't get much publicity.

We've never been to Bali ourselves but have friends who shoot off there every chance they get. My eldest (24 now) went 3 times in one year. I'm sure he went to the most lively place, did things we wouldn't do as a couple, went to clubs, pubs, hired motorbikes. I'm sure he did some risky things that he didn't tell us about but he had a fantastic time.

I'm sure Bali has something for everyone, it's just a matter of doing a bit of research and finding a place that suits what you are looking for.

As mentioned earlier in the thread my opinions were based on 2 separate holidays where in went to Kuta, Seminyak and Nusa Dua. Wasn't impressed with any of them. I'd rather just spend the money and go somewhere that'd I'd enjoy. It's one of the unfortunate things of living in Perth is the isolation and the cost of travel further afield than Bali / Asia. I love living in Perth but many West Australians are very insular and just go to Bali for a holiday every year due to the high costs of going elsewhere and IMO the place is highly overrated. Look, each to their own and that. I just won't be going back there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit I would have some worries being a westerner there, given the Bali bombing, as well as drink poisoning etc that seems to happen.

I guess you would need to be unlucky for something to go wrong, and just be careful and not take silly risks like accepting drinks that aren't from a sealed container.

The bali bombings were 11 years ago. would you feel safe in London? London has suffered many many more bomb attacks that Indonesia ever has and from a variety of sources.

Not saying there isn't a risk but these things could happen anywhere. And bali is the only place I have been to where you are swiped with a metal detector thing upon entering large venues.

The drinks - really just need to avoid arak if your that worried about it. There are similar risks everywhere, in the UK or spain you don't have to worry about arak - but there is a chance some sleaze will put drugs in your drink. It's all about being sensible.

We are in Bali now for the first time and are really enjoying it. One thing to be prepared for though is the airport, get ready to queue and queue and queue! Perhaps we were just unlucky with our timing, but it took us almost two hours to get out of the airport. You also need to buy your visa on arrival, so to make life easier it's good to have $35 US per person so you can quickly get sorted. Apart from that, we have found everything to be fine. We are in Sanur and the people are very friendly, they especially seem to enjoy my attempts to speak their language!

Depending on time of arrival, and time of the year a long wait to get your visa and through immigration control is fairly normal.

People moan and complain - but it's taken me just as long to get through Heathrow on many occasions.

I've also gotten through denpasar airport in a flash many times.

anyone that lives in Sydney - if you fly Garuda you can get your visa sorted on board during the flight and then go straight through at the airport.

We stayed in Singapore on the way back from the UK last year. Stayed at a lovely hotel on Sentosa. We were there for a relaxing time so the hotel suited us perfectly. Had a big pool, a bit of it sectioned off from kids using it so you could get a decent swim. I usually don't like hotel pools that much and thought I would be swimming in the Ocean as the Hotel was right on the beach too. The beach was dirty, full of party poppers, cigarette butts, bits and pieces that would get cleaned up by the council or a grader here. The Ocean had a thin film of what looked like oil on the surface and just didn't look clean at all. Not surprising really as the view out to sea is of about 1000 tankers and ships either waiting to get into or out of port. Took one look at the Ocean and went back to the pool.

Didn't see one person swimming in the Ocean the whole time we were there. Luckily the hotel was inclusive of meals as outside, anywhere on the Island was a rip off. Really expensive even for a bottle of beer.

Thought we might find something cheaper if we had a walk round but the place is so controlled and well run that every bar had the same price for booze and there was nowhere cheap. Made Perth look cheap by comparison, specially for booze.

Nothing really classy or cheap about Singapore that's for sure.

Thats interesting! I'll stick to Bali then...just to add I felt safe as I do anywhere in Bali. Must say the hotel security was thorough when we went in 2009. We just stayed in and around the resort. It was really great and cheap prices outside the hotel were a real novelty.

Thats interesting! I'll stick to Bali then...just to add I felt safe as I do anywhere in Bali. Must say the hotel security was thorough when we went in 2009. We just stayed in and around the resort. It was really great and cheap prices outside the hotel were a real novelty.

That was the great thing about Nusa Dua, The whole area is in a security zone which means every car is checked prior to entry being given - I can understand that some may feel caged in but for us the holiday was the most relaxing we have had in many many years. If you stay in one of the many 4 and 5 star hotels in this region, you don't need to worry about security, your drinks being tampered with, being scammed etc. You just enjoy the great nights sleep, the pools, the beaches, the cocktails, reading books, the massages etc etc etc. If you want to experience the 'real' Bali then my guess is that this is not the location for you, same goes for an activity filled holiday, but for a place to rest and recuperate it doesn't get much better!!

NWM

We stayed in Singapore on the way back from the UK last year. Stayed at a lovely hotel on Sentosa. We were there for a relaxing time so the hotel suited us perfectly. Had a big pool, a bit of it sectioned off from kids using it so you could get a decent swim. I usually don't like hotel pools that much and thought I would be swimming in the Ocean as the Hotel was right on the beach too. The beach was dirty, full of party poppers, cigarette butts, bits and pieces that would get cleaned up by the council or a grader here. The Ocean had a thin film of what looked like oil on the surface and just didn't look clean at all. Not surprising really as the view out to sea is of about 1000 tankers and ships either waiting to get into or out of port. Took one look at the Ocean and went back to the pool.

Didn't see one person swimming in the Ocean the whole time we were there. Luckily the hotel was inclusive of meals as outside, anywhere on the Island was a rip off. Really expensive even for a bottle of beer.

Sentosa's artificial, it was a swamp island for years and they thought they'd never be able to build on it, plus the currents bring all the rubbish past it. It was known for being a body trap for dead bodies floating across from Singapore during WWII and the Japanese occupation.

The beach by the Golf course is also one of the sites of the WWII Sook Ching massacre of hundreds of Chinese where they were marched into the sea and machine-gunned. Occasionally, they still dig up skeletal remains.

It's why the hotel pools are so good and "beachy"...they don't expect people to want to use the real beach or swim in the pollution.

Blimey, sorry for providing the OP with some valid information by saying it took as a while to get through the airport. If you read my post I didn't moan and actually stated we were possibly unlucky with our timing. I thought a heads up may have been useful thats all. As it turns out I have now managed to speak with some people who have visited Bali more than us, and they say to try and avoid arriving on a weekend as this is when you are more likely to hit the airport queues.

That was the great thing about Nusa Dua, The whole area is in a security zone which means every car is checked prior to entry being given - I can understand that some may feel caged in but for us the holiday was the most relaxing we have had in many many years. If you stay in one of the many 4 and 5 star hotels in this region, you don't need to worry about security, your drinks being tampered with, being scammed etc. You just enjoy the great nights sleep, the pools, the beaches, the cocktails, reading books, the massages etc etc etc. If you want to experience the 'real' Bali then my guess is that this is not the location for you, same goes for an activity filled holiday, but for a place to rest and recuperate it doesn't get much better!!

NWM

Exactly! It's my only experience of Bali so I can't comment on the rest of the place apart from our couple of taxi trips to Denpasar where we thought the scenery was fantastic...

Blimey, sorry for providing the OP with some valid information by saying it took as a while to get through the airport. If you read my post I didn't moan and actually stated we were possibly unlucky with our timing. I thought a heads up may have been useful thats all. As it turns out I have now managed to speak with some people who have visited Bali more than us, and they say to try and avoid arriving on a weekend as this is when you are more likely to hit the airport queues.

I wasn't having a dig or saying you were complaining - i said people do whinge and complain. Not specifically you.

Apologies if it came across that way but that really wasn't how it was meant.

To be fair my second trip was just after the bali bomb. Tourists had stopped going to the island so there was a feel of desperation from the locals. Probably tsinted things a bit. I loved all the parades and things like that. We even went to a funeral which was fascinating. We were welcomed but obviously we stayed in the background. I was so ashamed when some western tourist pointed his camcorder almost inside the dead mans open coffin :-(

To be fair my second trip was just after the bali bomb. Tourists had stopped going to the island so there was a feel of desperation from the locals. Probably tsinted things a bit. I loved all the parades and things like that. We even went to a funeral which was fascinating. We were welcomed but obviously we stayed in the background. I was so ashamed when some western tourist pointed his camcorder almost inside the dead mans open coffin :-(

A lot has changed since then. Parts would probably be almost unrecognisable. Despite how busy it is, you still get a fantastic sense of the local culture and customs, still occasionally see massive parades, even more so when you travel away from the immediate tourist confines. (that can be as little as two minutes away from legian street). There are still tourists sticking their cameras in the most unwelcome of places though, probably even more so with the advent of the camera phone. :-)

It still has its downfalls, traffic being one of them especially in the south. Even ubud is crazy busy nowadays. But, I still love it. Just no skygarden / paddies bar or bounty for me.

Edited by benthomas010

A lot has changed since then. Parts would probably be almost unrecognisable. Despite how busy it is, you still get a fantastic sense of the local culture and customs, still occasionally see massive parades, even more so when you travel away from the immediate tourist confines. (that can be as little as two minutes away from legian street). There are still tourists sticking their cameras in the most unwelcome of places though, probably even more so with the advent of the camera phone. :-)

It still has its downfalls, traffic being one of them especially in the south. Even ubud is crazy busy nowadays. But, I still love it. Just no skygarden / paddies bar or bounty for me.

We were worried when my son went with his mates. They would be the kind of places they headed straight to I bet. He's had a ball though. every time he's been. Sounds like it's one continuous party atmosphere if you end up with the right crowd, no aggro and last time he was there he met some locals who were taking them round different places on their motorbikes. Said they got on with them great. He told me that the guys were crazy on the bikes though and he was just hanging on the back with his eyes shut sometimes.:laugh:

My wife has been against going since the bombings but we have some holidays in September and I'm slowly talking her around as I reckon it would be a good place to go and see. I don't think it would be much different than our first trip to Corfu in the 70's.:cool:

I've heard good things about Lombok too, a few friends with a lot of experience of Bali have siad it's like Bali used to be. Is September a good time to go?

We were worried when my son went with his mates. They would be the kind of places they headed straight to I bet. He's had a ball though. every time he's been. Sounds like it's one continuous party atmosphere if you end up with the right crowd, no aggro and last time he was there he met some locals who were taking them round different places on their motorbikes. Said they got on with them great. He told me that the guys were crazy on the bikes though and he was just hanging on the back with his eyes shut sometimes.:laugh:

My wife has been against going since the bombings but we have some holidays in September and I'm slowly talking her around as I reckon it would be a good place to go and see. I don't think it would be much different than our first trip to Corfu in the 70's.:cool:

I've heard good things about Lombok too, a few friends with a lot of experience of Bali have siad it's like Bali used to be. Is September a good time to go?

Yeah September's good. Most of the year is good the only time I'd avoid is Feb March due to the rubbish that washes up on the beach.

Is Lombok like bali used to be? Some people say so... Others say it's a different beast. Lombok is great in its own right, it's a Muslim island so a different culture but still fantastic.

The Gili Islands are also brilliant for a few days. Proper Paradise Isles.

But if you want old bali, (quieter, more relaxed, less of a nightclub scene) head to Lembongan or maybe Lovina.

Even Kuta and Legian with all the hustle and bustle it's not all nightclubs and non stop partying unless that's what you want. There are a wide variety of really good restaurants, bars with excellent live music, brilliant hotels - i find it to be a great base.

Or there is Sanur which is a bit sleepier, ut with water sports on the beach.

And for culture and things to do - you are inundated with opportunities. Temples. Parks. Dolphin Watching. Waterfals. Parades. And I'm sure your wife will love the shopping [emoji156][emoji159][emoji160] while you can love the beer [emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

I wasn't having a dig or saying you were complaining - i said people do whinge and complain. Not specifically you.

Apologies if it came across that way but that really wasn't how it was meant.

Absolutely no problem, apology gratefully accepted, my fault for taking your post the wrong way in the first place!

we are looking at going in December , the wet humid season but I`m told it normally rains at night ? as our first time to Bali I think Nusa Dua would be a good place to stay just to get a feel for the place .....

If you want a 5 start resort holiday it's fantastic for that, and just because your in Nusa Dua doesn't mean you can't take trios out to see the rest of the island.

Not my scene, but if that's what your after you'll love it.

Wet season - generally if it rains in the day it's not for long. Just a downpour then it's hot and dry again. Sometimes big downpours at night yes.

If yiu are very unlucky it can rain for a week, but you'd have to be very unlucky. I have never found the humidity a problem either.

Whats it like in April? We are yet to book our accommodation but hoping to go back to Nusa Dua, I dont want anywhere rowdy, loud or full of bintang singlet wearing Aussies....

I've never been in April.. but it's towards the end of the wet season so yiu could still get the occasional showers, that's not a bad thing though. The humidity will be coming down and the temperate would still be brilliant.

A benefit to this time of the year will also be that it's quiet season, so you don't have the crazy traffic which you get in July August making it a bit better for trios out.

I've never been in April.. but it's towards the end of the wet season so yiu could still get the occasional showers, that's not a bad thing though. The humidity will be coming down and the temperate would still be brilliant.

A benefit to this time of the year will also be that it's quiet season, so you don't have the crazy traffic which you get in July August making it a bit better for trios out.

I went in the last week of March (2013). It didn't really rain at all, a couple of very light sprinkles lasting a few minutes - I like a good tropical downpour so was a bit disappointed! It certainly wasn't quiet though and the traffic was definitely still crazy (Seminyak to Legian in a cab - 90 minutes! - I kid you not!) as far as I'm concerned! I would say if April actually means Easter then it's still quite a peak holiday time regardless of the general season.

Sanur sounds good, thanks.

We are currently in Sanur and absolutely love it! It's nice and relaxed, not too busy, but there are plenty of bars/restaurants to choose from. This being our first trip we were not sure what to expect, but would definitely come here again.

We also decided to book our taxi man from the airport to take us on a tour of the island. He was fantastic and made suggestions as to where we could go, but left the choice up to us, if we said no then that was that, no pressure at all...he even saved us money by taking us to areas where we could view the rice terraces for free instead of paying an entrance fee. We are not really ones for doing all the tourist hotspots, preferring to make our own way around, but I can say the Monkey Forest was fantastic fun (but very busy), plenty of monkeys to see and very tame. Be warned though, they do like to jump onto your back and lie on your shoulders! Also had a fantastic lunch at the rice fields in Ubud, again one for the tourists but the view was spectacular., with a lovely cooling breeze blowing in from the fields. We were lucky to virtually have the restaurant to ourselves and left just as the crowds began to arrive (we had an early lunch at 11:30, it was filling up by 12:30).

Only downside is the fact that my wife has been bitten by the mosquitoes. No matter where we go or the amount of sprays, creams and coils we use, they always get her...and she reacts badly to them. Currently she has two bites that have swollen up, one is about the size of an orange. She is now sat on the bed covered in wet cloths to try and stop the itching. Luckily the chemists here seem very knowledgable and have given her some antihistamine tablets!

Nothing wrong with Bali if a short break is what is desired. Back from there last night. Every visit notice the price rises and more fixed prices as locals are increasingly displaced by Aussies, French, Belgians and Americans in setting up fashion/clothing stores but on the other hand the quality has improved remarkably than decades back as well.

Bali is hardly real third world. In fact tourists are remarkably sanitised these days with road accidents being the main danger as in most Asian countries. Beaches experience strong under tow and large surf, which often result in beach closures. I have witnessed a near drowning there on a previous visit so best to take care.

Bali is increasingly a favourite for retirement for price conscious Aussies but again prices are on the rise. Still for $330,000ish a very nice place in a gated community can be had.

Bali is a remarkably safe place to travel. There is little personal danger regardless of time of day and the resorts are on par with many more expensive locations around the world. Not sure how exotic a location it remains but certainly ideal for an Asian novice.

Indonesia is corrupt but a pretty good country for those that like to experience travel as opposed to having a holiday being a massively diverse collection of islands, languages and cultures. A great destination for the more adventurous traveller as well.

I went in the last week of March (2013). It didn't really rain at all, a couple of very light sprinkles lasting a few minutes - I like a good tropical downpour so was a bit disappointed! It certainly wasn't quiet though and the traffic was definitely still crazy (Seminyak to Legian in a cab - 90 minutes! - I kid you not!) as far as I'm concerned! I would say if April actually means Easter then it's still quite a peak holiday time regardless of the general season.

I can walk that in less than twenty minutes. (road)The best way to cover that even shorter is along the beach.