Bali Holiday? Has anyone been?

Que Sera Sera

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are looking at going in December , the wet humid season but I`m told it normally rains at night ? as our first time to Bali I think Nusa Dua would be a good place to stay just to get a feel for the place .....

I would avoid horrible Nusa Dua totally. It's an artifical, soulless, sanitized place created for westerners. You will probably end up in an expensive high rise hotel. Shops and restaurants there are extremely expensive for Bali. I would suggest Sanur for a first timer. The Griya Santrian is a good hotel on the beach - but anywhere close to the heart of Sanur would do. There are some good cheap hotels that aren't on the beach but are only a few minutes walk away. There are plenty of restaurants on the beachfront and along the main street or you can join the locals at the night market. Tours are cheaper from Sanur - there's a great day tour from Sanur to Lembongan with lunch and water activities.

I would avoid horrible Nusa Dua totally. It's an artifical, soulless, sanitized place created for westerners. You will probably end up in an expensive high rise hotel. Shops and restaurants there are extremely expensive for Bali. I would suggest Sanur for a first timer. The Griya Santrian is a good hotel on the beach - but anywhere close to the heart of Sanur would do. There are some good cheap hotels that aren't on the beach but are only a few minutes walk away. There are plenty of restaurants on the beachfront and along the main street or you can join the locals at the night market. Tours are cheaper from Sanur - there's a great day tour from Sanur to Lembongan with lunch and water activities.

I agree whole heartedly. Nusa Dua is a no go for me.

Any resort town that has a gate and security to keep locals out is off limits as far as I am concerned.

can't even sit on the beach watching the sunset there either - unless you've got your back to the sea lol.

I think as an introduction trip perhaps nusa dua is a safe bet. You are likely to get cleaner food overall. But its not a place you would crave to return to if you want more exposure to the character of bali. Its as tourist focussed as you can get...without the kuta culture bogan aussies of course....More Europeans and poms about...That said you can always do day trips and have that 'safe and sanitised place' to return to. Its more expensive than most other places of same standard though.. Id go further to suggest that Tanjung Benoa, the beach area just north of Nusa Dua has 4 to 5 star resorts for 3 star rates. And you get a better bang for your buck. Melia Benoa is one that comes to mind.

Edited by gee13

I disagree about the food. There are absolutely fantastic food places across the island, where cleanliness is second to none.

Nusa Dua wouldn't be an introduction to bali. It would be an introduction to 4 / 5 star generic hotel resorts which could be anywhere in the world.

I agree with that. Nusa Dua is a world onto itself and a very fake one at that.

I think as an introduction trip perhaps nusa dua is a safe bet. You are likely to get cleaner food overall. But its not a place you would crave to return to if you want more exposure to the character of bali. Its as tourist focussed as you can get...without the kuta culture bogan aussies of course....More Europeans and poms about...That said you can always do day trips and have that 'safe and sanitised place' to return to. Its more expensive than most other places of same standard though.. Id go further to suggest that Tanjung Benoa, the beach area just north of Nusa Dua has 4 to 5 star resorts for 3 star rates. And you get a better bang for your buck. Melia Benoa is one that comes to mind.

Aha thats where we went Tanjung Benoa...so we weren't in Nusa Dua itself then?? Because I thought the local prices were really good tbh...$1 a bottle of beer, maybe cheaper and $4 for a main course, authentic friendly clean restaurants...

Aha thats where we went Tanjung Benoa...so we weren't in Nusa Dua itself then?? Because I thought the local prices were really good tbh...$1 a bottle of beer, maybe cheaper and $4 for a main course, authentic friendly clean restaurants...

$1 for a bottle of beer? In bali? You can't get it in the supermarkets for that.

I found that a bit od as well. Under 10 R? Been a long time since it was that price. Try double plus. 25 R was about the cheapest I think I found.

You can still get it for around 15,000rp in some places (small bottles) 25,000rp big bottles. But usually in a bar you would pay 20,000rp upto 25 for a small now.

15k in a supermarket or mini mart though.

You can still get it for around 15,000rp in some places (small bottles) 25,000rp big bottles. But usually in a bar you would pay 20,000rp upto 25 for a small now.

15k in a supermarket or mini mart though.

hmm dont talk in Rp, sure when we were there supermarket over road sold small bottles for a dollar..pretty sure anyway..how much is that in Rp??..in 2009 also...

hmm dont talk in Rp, sure when we were there supermarket over road sold small bottles for a dollar..pretty sure anyway..how much is that in Rp??..in 2009 also...

In 2009 $1 would have been about 8000rp.... beer prices back then wouldn't have been much different to now. 15 - 20k in a bar. 12 to 15k in a mini mart. 25k in most restaurants.

In 2009 $1 would have been about 8000rp.... beer prices back then wouldn't have been much different to now. 15 - 20k in a bar. 12 to 15k in a mini mart. 25k in most restaurants.

maybe it was around $1.40 and in my mind I rounded it down, sounds likely because I can remember a big bottle was about $3...in the hotel the prices were nearly double...all useless to me though as I'm not a big beer drinker..the OH was impressed though, he also got other beers which from memory were well priced after 11 months of higher Au prices...

Having enjoyed the food in Bali so much (and no Bali belly to date), we have signed up for a mornings cookery class tomorrow. Having never done anything like this I am not sure what we have let ourselves in for, has anyone tried it?

I love my food spicy (pedas sekali was one of the first phrases I learned), and everything has tasted amazingly good..but I made sure that beef rendang was one of the recipes on the list as it's certainly been my favourite so far!

Edited by TescoValue

Having enjoyed the food in Bali so much (and no Bali belly to date), we have signed up for a mornings cookery class tomorrow. Having never done anything like this I am not sure what we have let ourselves in for, has anyone tried it?

I love my food spicy (pedas sekali was one of the first phrases I learned), and everything has tasted amazingly good..but I made sure that beef rendang was one of the recipes on the list as it's certainly been my favourite so far!

Great stuff. Enjoy. I love hot food as well. Language course there would be pretty good as well. Already reasonably good at speaking and would be more inclined to go to Java in order for total immersion.

Great stuff. Enjoy. I love hot food as well. Language course there would be pretty good as well. Already reasonably good at speaking and would be more inclined to go to Java in order for total immersion.

Absolutely, I love (trying) to learn the language wherever we go on holiday. I can manage a conversation at the moment, as long as it consists of good morning...how are you...good thank you. Unfortunately at this point I get lost and just keep repeating 'baik' or 'bagus' so they laugh and revert to English.