Bali Holiday? Has anyone been?

Que Sera Sera

As I have a good female friend who is actually english but lives in Oz who spent some time working in an international SOS type clinic over there working as a nurse helping foreigners who had accidents or got I'll and she told me that it is so much more common than actually reported. It only got a bit of media hype last year after there were a couple of young Aussies who died from it. 9 times out of 10 people don't die and just get very unwell. You seem very challenging towards me as I have given a negative opinion of Bali. Fair play if you love it. Personally I think it's a sh!thole but I'm sure the OP has a good mixture of opinions to make her decision and knows what to look out for should she decide to go.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have a good female friend who is actually english but lives in Oz who spent some time working in an international SOS type clinic over there working as a nurse helping foreigners who had accidents or got I'll and she told me that it is so much more common than actually reported. It only got a bit of media hype last year after there were a couple of young Aussies who died from it. 9 times out of 10 people don't die and just get very unwell. You seem very challenging towards me as I have given a negative opinion of Bali. Fair play if you love it. Personally I think it's a sh!thole but I'm sure the OP has a good mixture of opinions to make her decision and knows what to look out for should she decide to go.

I actually hated bali the first time I went. Thought it was a bit of a **** hole. Hated the hassle the begging etc.. It wasn't until I went back a 2nd time that I fell in love with the place.

Anyway. Each to their own. Someone has to hate it - it's busy enough as it is without everybody loving it. :-)

Lol. You got scammed into believing everything bad that happens is down the the javanese. This is a huge myth.

There are plenty of balinese who will rip you off as well. But you can only be ripped off if you let them wherever they are from.

Didnt say Balinese didnt, but theres no doubt of majority foreign negative influence. Bali was once a different place before mass migrations to cash in on tourism. Dont know what you mean by being scammed by this knowledge..Ive travelled all round Indonesia, from Irian Jaya to Sumatra, speak the language and have seen a lot first hand. Probably more than you have. .. so lets not make this descend again into a bali bashing thread which is not what the OP intended ...

Edited by gee13

I found Bali to be a bit like Aussies version of Benidorm and I think it comes with living in the most isolated city in the world. It's basically a cheap getaway from Perth as the options of a cheap holiday from Perth are extremely limited. Hence the reason the place is busy with mostly Aussies wearing Bintang vests. It seems to be a big attraction to the bogan community of Australia. Another reason why I didn't like it.

Didnt say Balinese didnt, but theres no doubt of foreign negative influence. Dont know what you mean by being scammed by this knowledge..Ive travelled all round Indonesia, from Irian Jaya to Sumatra, speak the language and have seen a lot first hand. Probably more than you have.

Debatable but I'm not going to enter a contest on knowledge.

I am married to an Indonesian who lived and worked in bali so I got to meet a lot of balinese and javanese on a real social level rather than as a tourist. They all laugh at the myth too.

Anyway.. If that's what you want to believe, that's fine.

Just my opinions based on my experiences there. Obviously given your marital status you get to experience a different side of Bali.

Yeah my response wasnt to you - it was to gee who seems to think the balinese are too kind and spiritual to scam people - and that anything bad is a result of the javanese :-)

Yeah though - i do get to experience a different side to the island. And a lot of the rest of Indonesia and south east Asia. Ah.. everyone likes different things. Nothing wrong with that.

I found Bali to be a bit like Aussies version of Benidorm and I think it comes with living in the most isolated city in the world. It's basically a cheap getaway from Perth as the options of a cheap holiday from Perth are extremely limited. Hence the reason the place is busy with mostly Aussies wearing Bintang vests. It seems to be a big attraction to the bogan community of Australia. Another reason why I didn't like it.

Im sorry that you didnt really experience the real side of Bali. Perhaps if you went to Munduk falls, or even Lovina and spent a week there you may have a slightly different perception..

Im sorry that you didnt really experience the real side of Bali. Perhaps if you went to Munduk falls, or even Lovina and spent a week there you may have a slightly different perception..

Perhaps. I did mention that my opinions were based on holidays to Kuta and Seminyak (I also visited Nusa Dua during my second trip).

I have no doubt that there are lovely places out with the grimy tourist spots. It's just not for me.

Yeah my response wasnt to you - it was to gee who seems to think the balinese are too kind and spiritual to scam people - and that anything bad is a result of the javanese :-)

not everything bad, just a few right ?... :wink:

Perhaps. I did mention that my opinions were based on holidays to Kuta and Seminyak (I also visited Nusa Dua during my second trip).

I have no doubt that there are lovely places out with the grimy tourist spots. It's just not for me.

yeah...its why Ive never stayed in kuta or seminyak.. I must admit early on I did bring the family to Nusa dua to avoid the aussie 'typicals' and there were more Russians about.. nowadays we like to go further into more remote places, still accessible, the more of the old charm Bali to see ..

Edited by gee13

Thanks for your input everyone. I've been looking so obviously seen a lot good and bad. I've survived The Gambia 23 years ago and Benidorm, Shagaluf , Blackpool etc so II'm sure we'll muddle by. My OH just wants a flop out and chill type holiday to rest from the Fifo . Also we will have our 13 year old with us so family but not too young will be the order of the day. Also a place with two bedrooms. We don't need or want to explore too much this first trip anyway.

Thanks for your input everyone. I've been looking so obviously seen a lot good and bad. I've survived The Gambia 23 years ago and Benidorm, Shagaluf , Blackpool etc so II'm sure we'll muddle by. My OH just wants a flop out and chill type holiday to rest from the Fifo . Also we will have our 13 year old with us so family but not too young will be the order of the day. Also a place with two bedrooms. We don't need or want to explore too much this first trip anyway.

and thats exactly what you'll get...in abundance. 5 star luxury, great food/drink/pool/heat/massage/beautiful relaxing holiday...not everyone wants/needs a stimulating sightseeing type hol...take it for what it is...when we went, we just wanted to chill for 5 days...we were going offshore to get our PR granted, it was better than any med holiday we'd had, different....all inclusive sounds good but we did like the local restaurants where the staff were just awesome....a very good experience, I think you'll love it cath, just PM Laney she's got heaps of Bali experience. I just love the music/the atmosphere/the sights/the smells...it really was a good holiday.....Thailand and Singapore may be 'classier' but also more expensive...stick to 4 or 5 star places and you won't go far wrong, the beach at the Grand Mirage was pleasant, not Perth standards but certainly not dirty as Ive heard reported...was lovely lying on a lounger supping a bintang and getting some snacks, then cooling off in the pool, then off for a massage, then the pool, then a gorgeous dinner, few drinks in the bar...sitting on the balcony listening to the frogs and cicadas....lovely.

and thats exactly what you'll get...in abundance. 5 star luxury, great food/drink/pool/heat/massage/beautiful relaxing holiday...not everyone wants/needs a stimulating sightseeing type hol...take it for what it is...when we went, we just wanted to chill for 5 days...we were going offshore to get our PR granted, it was better than any med holiday we'd had, different....all inclusive sounds good but we did like the local restaurants where the staff were just awesome....a very good experience, I think you'll love it cath, just PM Laney she's got heaps of Bali experience. I just love the music/the atmosphere/the sights/the smells...it really was a good holiday.....Thailand and Singapore may be 'classier' but also more expensive...stick to 4 or 5 star places and you won't go far wrong, the beach at the Grand Mirage was pleasant, not Perth standards but certainly not dirty as Ive heard reported...was lovely lying on a lounger supping a bintang and getting some snacks, then cooling off in the pool, then off for a massage, then the pool, then a gorgeous dinner, few drinks in the bar...sitting on the balcony listening to the frogs and cicadas....lovely.

Sounds perfect . :cool:

Can't imagine the beaches being better than Perth.

Australia has the world's best beaches, however Bali offers you the chance to have a beer for a couple of dollars in an infinity pool while you wait for your food.

Had a good day here...

Potato head.jpg

Potato head.jpg

We have been to Bali 3 times over the last 25 years the last time being 3 years ago. The first time we went we had 3 nights each in Nusa Dua, Kuta, Sanur and Ubud, which was a good way of getting the feel of the place. If you are a party animal Kuta is the place for you. I like the quieter places like Sanur or Ubud. I would recommend a couple of nights on Lembongan Island which is a short ferry ride from Sanur and is more like the old Bali. We had a lovely night at the Ubud Palace enjoying the Balinese dance and gamelan music. My favorite activity in Bali is the cooking classes where they take you to the market to buy the food - then teach you to cook it - then you get to eat it.

We are in Bali now for the first time and are really enjoying it. One thing to be prepared for though is the airport, get ready to queue and queue and queue! Perhaps we were just unlucky with our timing, but it took us almost two hours to get out of the airport. You also need to buy your visa on arrival, so to make life easier it's good to have $35 US per person so you can quickly get sorted. Apart from that, we have found everything to be fine. We are in Sanur and the people are very friendly, they especially seem to enjoy my attempts to speak their language!

Must admit I would have some worries being a westerner there, given the Bali bombing, as well as drink poisoning etc that seems to happen.

I guess you would need to be unlucky for something to go wrong, and just be careful and not take silly risks like accepting drinks that aren't from a sealed container.

Was that the whole of Bali you're comparing to Benidorm Weegie, or just the place you stayed? It's like going to Benidorm and then assuming the rest of Spain is like that, which it isn't. I've been to Benidorm as a teenager with mates and loved it, one of the best holidays I've ever had. Been to Majorca and Ibiza too. All lively hell holes when you get older but great for teens early 20's who go for guaranteed sun, cheap booze, nightclubs that don't close, acts you can't see when your at home (be that Aus or UK) things to do you can't do at home, sex like you only seem to get on holiday when everyone else is in the same mood looking for the same thing.

When I got a bit older and had a partner we went to different places that had a totally different vibe. Still went to Spain a few times and even small Islands like Ibiza and Majorca have some fantastic quiet places to go that don't get much publicity.

We've never been to Bali ourselves but have friends who shoot off there every chance they get. My eldest (24 now) went 3 times in one year. I'm sure he went to the most lively place, did things we wouldn't do as a couple, went to clubs, pubs, hired motorbikes. I'm sure he did some risky things that he didn't tell us about but he had a fantastic time.

I'm sure Bali has something for everyone, it's just a matter of doing a bit of research and finding a place that suits what you are looking for.

Guest Guest66881

Just wouldn't feel safe their, not so much the touristy places everyone goes too (not for us) the out into the real country i mean, you hear so many stories lately.

We stayed in Singapore on the way back from the UK last year. Stayed at a lovely hotel on Sentosa. We were there for a relaxing time so the hotel suited us perfectly. Had a big pool, a bit of it sectioned off from kids using it so you could get a decent swim. I usually don't like hotel pools that much and thought I would be swimming in the Ocean as the Hotel was right on the beach too. The beach was dirty, full of party poppers, cigarette butts, bits and pieces that would get cleaned up by the council or a grader here. The Ocean had a thin film of what looked like oil on the surface and just didn't look clean at all. Not surprising really as the view out to sea is of about 1000 tankers and ships either waiting to get into or out of port. Took one look at the Ocean and went back to the pool.

Didn't see one person swimming in the Ocean the whole time we were there. Luckily the hotel was inclusive of meals as outside, anywhere on the Island was a rip off. Really expensive even for a bottle of beer.

Thought we might find something cheaper if we had a walk round but the place is so controlled and well run that every bar had the same price for booze and there was nowhere cheap. Made Perth look cheap by comparison, specially for booze.

Nothing really classy or cheap about Singapore that's for sure.