Things we do that Aussies don't get!

LauraF

Since living in Aussieland, has anyone been told about any pom-isms you hadn't noticed you had before?

Some I've been told about:

- Apparently poms screw up our dollar notes in our purses/wallets rather than neatly tidy them away.

- Poms from the north just can't say "nuts" or "bus" right no matter how hard we try. That sound is not in our alphabet!

- We don't wash our bed sheets often enough. Plus it's not called a duvet it's a doon-ah, or something.

- Sandshoes are just sneakers or trainers, apparently they need yet another word for them.

- Aussies can't always tell when we're making a joke/being sarcastic.

- We can sound English, Irish or Scottish depending on who you talk to ;)

- We automatically sound "proper" or posh even if we have a common-as-muck accent.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We shower everyday!!:laugh:Yes,thats true Aussies!The time of bathing once a week (and we never had that in our family either,even when I was a small kid)went out in the dark ages!

Yes we can have BBQ's!Despite what some people think,we do have nice weather and yes can spend time outside!!!!

We can take cheaper OS holidays!People are genuinely shocked when this discussion comes up,how little money you can spend on holidays!

The UK is a small country,but.......its not filled end to end with housing!Only 92% of it is urbanised!!!

That most of the UK is accessible to walking,with public by ways in most of it!

[quote name=LauraF;1936567252

Plus it's not called a duvet it's a doon-ah' date=' or something.

- Sandshoes are just sneakers or trainers, apparently they need yet another word for them.

"Sandshoes" used to be the word used exclusively in Australia. "Sneakers" was gradually adopted with the influence of the US media - around the 1980s if my memory is correct...or maybe a little earlier.

There can also be regional variations with words - different words used in different parts of Australia.

Actually, Wikipedia says "trainers" is a British English word....

They are also known as trainers (British English), sandshoes, gym boots or joggers(Australian English) and Geordie English in the UK,[1] running shoes, runners or gutties(Canadian English, Australian English, Hiberno-English), sneakers, tennis shoes (North American English, Australian English) ......

"Doona" is anglicisation of the Scandinavian word "dyne" for the same article, whereas the UK stuck with the French word "duvet".

I'm sure there will be some Aussies who screw their notes up!

I'm from the North and I've never had a problem saying 'nuts' or 'bus'!

I've never heard an English person call them 'sneakers', when I was young they were called sandshoes, when I moved down South they called them 'pumps'!

I'm a Geordie and I've never heard them called 'gym boots' or 'joggers' anywhere, ever!

They were sandshoes, and I think it was sometime in the 80's when they became trainers.

I'm sure there will be some Aussies who screw their notes up!

I'm from the North and I've never had a problem saying 'nuts' or 'bus'!

I've never heard an English person call them 'sneakers', when I was young they were called sandshoes, when I moved down South they called them 'pumps'!

I'm a Geordie and I've never heard them called 'gym boots' or 'joggers' anywhere, ever!

They were sandshoes, and I think it was sometime in the 80's when they became trainers.

Geordie nuts = noots

geordie bus = boos

When POMS have parties and BBQs, they bring their wine + beer for everyone to share. This must look a bit weird to those that I see huddled round their eskies who take the leftovers back home with them when they go...Perhaps they're all drinking Dom Perignon and don't want it quaffed by the masses?

Its true.

"Am gettin the boos doon the toon to buy some noots pet. It's a canny way to go for some noots but I like gettin in the boos pet"

I've no idea what that means am I'm English so how the hell can Aussies understand it ?

Since living in Aussieland, has anyone been told about any pom-isms you hadn't noticed you had before?

Some I've been told about:

- Apparently poms screw up our dollar notes in our purses/wallets rather than neatly tidy them away.

- Poms from the north just can't say "nuts" or "bus" right no matter how hard we try. That sound is not in our alphabet!

- We don't wash our bed sheets often enough. Plus it's not called a duvet it's a doon-ah, or something.

- Aussies can't always tell when we're making a joke/being sarcastic.

- We can sound English, Irish or Scottish depending on who you talk to ;)

- We automatically sound "proper" or posh even if we have a common-as-muck accent.

Yeah agree about the posh thing. My wife couldn't believe it when I told her that a receptionist down at the gym said that I sounded like I was part of the royal family - and I'm from Liverpool. Maybe that's Jim Royale !!!!!

Its true.

"Am gettin the boos doon the toon to buy some noots pet. It's a canny way to go for some noots but I like gettin in the boos pet"

No Wedgie, it would be. "Am gannin' ower the toon on the bus for sum nuts, a naa it's a canny lang way ti gan for nuts so al hev a coupla bottles (of Broon Ale) while am there!" :)

Archived