Things we do that Aussies don't get!

LauraF

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first lived here I used to forget and greet my Aussie friends with an "ay up" and they would look at me like I was speaking a foreign language (well I suppose I was!) then I had to remind myself that I was saying hello to my Aussie friends not my pommie friends. I have an Aussie colleague (with English heritage) and when I started working with him one day out of the blue he said "ay up" to me and it did make me laugh and also made me think of 'home'.

No Wedgie, it would be. "Am gannin' ower the toon on the bus for sum nuts, a naa it's a canny lang way ti gan for nuts so al hev a coupla bottles (of Broon Ale) while am there!" :)

Haddaway hinny, you divvent need to go ower the toon for some scran...I have a canny bag of tudor back hyem :)

No Wedgie, it would be. "Am gannin' ower the toon on the bus for sum nuts, a naa it's a canny lang way ti gan for nuts so al hev a coupla bottles (of Broon Ale) while am there!" :)

We had a Geordie guy who works on the boat that takes us to Guernsey, he started talking earlier and I just started laughing thinking about these posts :laugh:

Even I don't understand that Geordie stuff and I was born in South Shields. I find Aussies easier to understand than Pommies from north of London!

You're a sandancer! I don't speak broad Geordie, people do understand me :)

mood swings ... you cannot do anything right ! ...

That's women not poms ;)

When I first lived here I used to forget and greet my Aussie friends with an "ay up" and they would look at me like I was speaking a foreign language (well I suppose I was!) then I had to remind myself that I was saying hello to my Aussie friends not my pommie friends. I have an Aussie colleague (with English heritage) and when I started working with him one day out of the blue he said "ay up" to me and it did make me laugh and also made me think of 'home'.

YES! I haven't even moved quite yet, and I already have had arguments about this. "You alright?" as a greeting. "Why do you keep asking me if I'm feeling ok, do I look not ok? What's wrong?" Nothing, this is how we say hello.

• 1 month later...
The Aussies don't understand the expression "Here's one I made earlier.." because they didn't have Blue Peter growing up (like most of us English-raised kids did!)

Yes we do. Well, we do if we were watching after-school TV in the 70s or 80s. I've heard of Blue Peter, but no idea of its format, but we had the Curiosity Show, which was a couple of young, nerdy science teacher types with bad haircuts who would do experiments of the "get mum or dad to help you with the scissors" variety. They may or may not have knocked off "here's one I prepared earlier" from the British show, but they certainly used it.

Archived