I'm done

Melbourne Valiant

Hi I hope your feeling more positive today. Maybe you should take any job until a better job comes along. It'll bring in some income and get you out the house meeting people it may even open up a lead for you. Try and remember why you went to live in Australia in the first place and renew your enthusiasm. Being stuck in applying for work will bring you down if nothing's coming up. Carry on with your life and set a few hours a day applying for work. I agree with chortlepuss join a gym and swim out in the sunshine it'll give you a boost. Also don't give up on your camper van try and get it fixed then you can move on and try somewhere else. Take any job for now it may just lead to a bright future for you :)

Edited by Elven

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally empathise! I have found OZ very difficult employment wise, whist hubby has just thrived. I had a 23 year career in UK and arrived with amazing references, I started at the bottom worked my way to the top, hard work and on the job learning, massive real life experience, it means nothing here because I don't have a degree. However, on the converse, through my struggles I've now decided to completely retrain and embark on a whole new career, I was accepted onto a degree course within 1 day of applying thanks to that previous experience and hard work, it's at a uni 5 minutes from home, 5 minutes from my 6 year olds school and 2 minutes from the beach so whilst feeling totally deflated by the Aussie employment market, I now feel so grateful to OZ for giving me the chance to retrain and I can honestly say coming from a city with 2 Universities I'm the UK, it still would never have been this accessible logistically and I'm not sure id have been offered a place so quickly!!!! just offering up my story as I would never have ever imagined this happening a few years ago!

Bunbury I'm off to Stroud Friday! Shame, we could have met and had a nice beer in a boozer somewhere.....not unless you made a 'data input error' in your diary ........

Bunbury I'm off to Stroud Friday! Shame, we could have met and had a nice beer in a boozer somewhere.....not unless you made a 'data input error' in your diary ........

Thanks for the offer Bora ....but iam genuinely rushed off my feet .....iam trying to wind down ....day off during the week for golf ...it isn't happening ....all over the midlands

Hi,

sorry to hear things are so bad. Rather than staying in the house for 8 hours a day why not try some voluntary work locally? I did this in Australia and started off helping out a church with a 'drop in' centre. They provided meals for the homeless and socially isolated people once a week and I helped out with preparing the veg, cooking the dinner, setting the tables etc. It was really rewarding and I made some great friends through it. After proving myself reliable I was offered a job in another organisation by a CEO of a business who had seen my voluntary work and was impressed.

There are so many organisations you could volunteer for and would welcome you with open arms. Whether you like working with animals, disabled people, young people, old people - there will be something for you. I couldn't sit around a house all day, I need to be working, even if it's for no money. You never know what doors it could open that will lead to paid employment.

Hi,

sorry to hear things are so bad. Rather than staying in the house for 8 hours a day why not try some voluntary work locally? I did this in Australia and started off helping out a church with a 'drop in' centre. They provided meals for the homeless and socially isolated people once a week and I helped out with preparing the veg, cooking the dinner, setting the tables etc. It was really rewarding and I made some great friends through it. After proving myself reliable I was offered a job in another organisation by a CEO of a business who had seen my voluntary work and was impressed.

There are so many organisations you could volunteer for and would welcome you with open arms. Whether you like working with animals, disabled people, young people, old people - there will be something for you. I couldn't sit around a house all day, I need to be working, even if it's for no money. You never know what doors it could open that will lead to paid employment.

That is a brilliant idea Rachel. In most cases I'd say it would be ideal but in the OP's case I think the thread title says it all: he's tried his best, flogged his Aussie dream like a dead horse and has decided he wants to go home and who can blame him?

But I still think your idea of volunteering is an excellent one

It really seems as bad in Oz to get a job as it is in the UK, why do they keep advertising for immigrants.?

As it is in the UK!? It took me six months to find a permanent job in Melbourne, I recently came back to London and have already been offered four in three weeks. I had forgotten what the luxury of not having to take the first thing that comes up feels like.

I very nearly went home after 4-5 months but am so glad I stayed and got to live a settled life. I decided to come back anyway but at least it was an informed decision as opposed to being forced and never knowing what a normal life in Australia is like.

That has to be one of the most obvious questions I can answer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ think about the revenue stream of $4-5k per visa application then there is the bogus $400 health check for the government owned Medibank. Undoubtedly, Australia for jobs least for me is the worst place I have ever worked including UK, USA, HK...in fact I just spoke to someone in East Anglia about work over the phone I have not even been i touch with this chap in 5 years and already got a bite - coming up on five years here and the only thing that bites are the mosi's. Australia overrated, ridiculously expensive and frankly not a fair go! Brits get sold on sun weather its Spain, Portugal, Australia et al. but reality is we all need a bit of rain, well I do.

I spoke to a guy the other day.His brother worked for Holdens,got laid off and has applied for 500 jobs,still no success!I know people in the UK would be thinking "I'd take any job"but try getting "Any job".I saw a job advertised in Adelaide recently.They wanted a Barrista (Why you need a cert to work in a cafe is beyond me???)but.......expected the successful applicant to work voluntary and they would provide travel expenses and lunch!!!Thats a big ask imho to expect someone to work without pay!Charities yes,cafe's no!You look around the supermarkets and its mostly kids working.Took Mum shopping the other day and the checkout chick was telling the person in front of me that due to her age she has now been reduced to working 1 day a week because they can't afford to pay her!This is a well know supermarket chain too,not some little family independant store.

To the OP best wishes on a successful return to the UK.

If you think jobs are easier to come by in the UK then why is Aussie unemployment lower?

Ps. You get the kind of crap from Tesco no doubt in the UK too.

I spoke to a guy the other day.His brother worked for Holdens,got laid off and has applied for 500 jobs,still no success!I know people in the UK would be thinking "I'd take any job"but try getting "Any job".I saw a job advertised in Adelaide recently.They wanted a Barrista (Why you need a cert to work in a cafe is beyond me???)but.......expected the successful applicant to work voluntary and they would provide travel expenses and lunch!!!Thats a big ask imho to expect someone to work without pay!Charities yes,cafe's no!You look around the supermarkets and its mostly kids working.Took Mum shopping the other day and the checkout chick was telling the person in front of me that due to her age she has now been reduced to working 1 day a week because they can't afford to pay her!This is a well know supermarket chain too,not some little family independant store.

To the OP best wishes on a successful return to the UK.

I see this happening more and more. Offering volunteer work until they 'prove' themselves or work there way up to a paid position. How the hell do people think this is ok. We all have rent and bills to pay. I understand the backpacker vacancies where they give accommodation and food as pay.... but it shouldn't be aloud for regular jobs.

Edited by mygirlies

By the same token, why is Aus unemployment currently trending upwards and UK downwards?

Because 986 people are leaving UK daily, and all the eastern Europeans have now earned enough benefits money to build their houses back home, and still claim child tax credit from their respected countries!!!

So are you saying UK is over-populated?

No!Is Oz?Much of Oz is uninhabitable,take out the middle and what are you left with?I don't know anyone out of a job in the UK,know quite a few in Oz though,alot of the jobs here are casual.How do you get a mortgage of that?

By the same token, why is Aus unemployment currently trending upwards and UK downwards?

Ok so that will last forever? Until Oz reaches 100% and UK reaches 0%?

It's easier to lose weight when you are already fat :wink:

No!Is Oz?Much of Oz is uninhabitable,take out the middle and what are you left with?I don't know anyone out of a job in the UK,know quite a few in Oz though,alot of the jobs here are casual.How do you get a mortgage of that?

Funny I know noone in either OZ or NZ out of work but a fair few in UK i suppose living in less populated areas of UK you don't tend to hit the unemployed so much, Uttoxeter has noone out of work at all hands up for JCB