I'm done

Melbourne Valiant

It's not so much the unions as the fact that if staff don't like you, they will ignore you. They will work around you, over you, under you. They will go sick the day something is due and leave you in the sh*t. They will give you bad advice, tell colleagues bout things you might say behind their backs, and not warn you of they see you heading for trouble. You can complain to your boss, but your boss will tell you that it is your problem to sort out. And if you don't sort it out, then at the next reorganisation, which tends to happen at least every couple of years, your job will be suppressed. You'll be out of work with no good stories to tell about your last job. That's why you need to find a way of working cooperatively with people.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much the unions as the fact that if staff don't like you, they will ignore you. They will work around you, over you, under you. They will go sick the day something is due and leave you in the sh*t. They will give you bad advice, tell colleagues bout things you might say behind their backs, and not warn you of they see you heading for trouble. You can complain to your boss, but your boss will tell you that it is your problem to sort out. And if you don't sort it out, then at the next reorganisation, which tends to happen at least every couple of years, your job will be suppressed. You'll be out of work with no good stories to tell about your last job. That's why you need to find a way of working cooperatively with people.

Sounds like my last Union Shop Steward in the UK :wink:

Sounds like my last Union Shop Steward in the UK :wink:

Seriously, Poms in Australian workplaces who come out with "sounds just like back in the UK" end up as the most lonely, hated and ultimately unemployable people in the workforce. Take the hint - for your sake, not mine.

Seriously, Poms in Australian workplaces who come out with "sounds just like back in the UK" end up as the most lonely, hated and ultimately unemployable people in the workforce. Take the hint - for your sake, not mine.

To be honest in all the countries i have worked I have never said that, I more say that it is a comparable, and if i do see things are done better in the UK than the other country i more ask the question why its done that way, than say in the UK we do it this way, thats like saying my Dad is better than your Dad not a good conversation to have, although my Kiwi friends do say that Aussies are idol,and there is a great advert over here to portray it :wink:

Yep, just like in the UK.:wink:

When we first came over one of the things I fell in love with about Australia was that they really respected tradies- unlike Britain which at that time looked down on them and called them 'working class'. We were what you would call 'professionals' complete with higher degrees but really, we had had a lot of advantages which was our good luck- why should we be paid more than they were? We both worked hard and neither of us had trouble finding employment which was lucky for us. I think here there is a different mindset - a degree is great but you have to have the skills required, and above all, the sort of personality that 'fits in'.

Is that Billy Idol or idle as in lazy buggers? Rol

To be honest in all the countries i have worked I have never said that, I more say that it is a comparable, and if i do see things are done better in the UK than the other country i more ask the question why its done that way, than say in the UK we do it this way, thats like saying my Dad is better than your Dad not a good conversation to have, although my Kiwi friends do say that Aussies are idol,and there is a great advert over here to portray it :wink:

Fact is 43% of all jobs in Oz are casual (2011) here is the link I read an article last year said 40% but damned if I can find it. The real question is how would Australia's economy looked over the past deacde without the mining sector - I would suspect an entirely different situation as many sectors are in and have been incontraction for several years.

Here is a link to support the 43% statement and the author is an academic at Monash so it is not some arbitrary specualtive remark.

http://theconversation.com/labour-in-vain-casualisation-presents-a-precarious-future-for-workers-8181

Completely right. The figures are manipulated as usual to make the country look like its the best place to be....Australia has to be superior to the UK at any cost of course. The country still feels insecure, after all these years (and gold medals !) :yes: