Mind made up :)

thelaurakate

Hi after visiting the uk for 6 weeks for my best mates wedding I have felt incredibly lost since coming back to oz. Anyway I have made my mind up Im moving back! I was watching the fault in our stars at the cinema the other day- anyone whos seen it knows its a horrendous tear jerker! also it happened to be my mums birthday back in the uk too :( I had a realisation that as much as I love my life here my family mean more to me. I have had the best 4 years of my life year but I don't feel in my heart that this is where I should be anymore. Oz fixed my broken heart after splitting with my fiancée and as much as I have good friends here they aren't my forever friends that I grew up with. With them is where I want to be. Its good to finally realise what I want but I have to stay and get my PR first. I know Citizenship is the golden ticket but I cant wait that long! I can apply for PR in feb so am going to have to wait until after then to move back. Will feel bad on my employer but they can see the difference in me after my trip and I think know one day I will leave. . Its horrible having this gut feeling that you want to go home but I know I would be silly if i left before getting PR specially after putting all these years in. Am moving into a new flat with my friend next month- 12 month lease then hopefully that will be me done . Don't know why im sharing this its just good to talk I guess Thanks :)

Hi after visiting the uk for 6 weeks for my best mates wedding I have felt incredibly lost since coming back to oz. Anyway I have made my mind up Im moving back! I was watching the fault in our stars at the cinema the other day- anyone whos seen it knows its a horrendous tear jerker! also it happened to be my mums birthday back in the uk too :( I had a realisation that as much as I love my life here my family mean more to me. I have had the best 4 years of my life year but I don't feel in my heart that this is where I should be anymore. Oz fixed my broken heart after splitting with my fiancée and as much as I have good friends here they aren't my forever friends that I grew up with. With them is where I want to be. Its good to finally realise what I want but I have to stay and get my PR first. I know Citizenship is the golden ticket but I cant wait that long! I can apply for PR in feb so am going to have to wait until after then to move back. Will feel bad on my employer but they can see the difference in me after my trip and I think know one day I will leave. . Its horrible having this gut feeling that you want to go home but I know I would be silly if i left before getting PR specially after putting all these years in. Am moving into a new flat with my friend next month- 12 month lease then hopefully that will be me done . Don't know why im sharing this its just good to talk I guess Thanks :)

Hey you sound like you are making a very level headed decision. What a great experience u have had. Feb will whizz round and then u will b back where your heart is. Enjoy your last months in oz

Nikey you just made me well up! thank you for your kind words

Nikey you just made me well up! thank you for your kind words

The thing is that once u have PR you really do have all of your options open so u can just do what suits u at the time. The world is your oyster and u r not giving anything up. BTW the uk is better than ever ;-) x

I know exactly how you feel. Good luck with your move back to the UK. I have made up my mind, but have to wait until 2016 as my daughter is going to finish her Year 12 schooling first. I'm trying to make sure that we spend the next two years enjoying life - it is very difficult when part of me has already left :)

Its horrible having this gut feeling that you want to go home but I know I would be silly if i left before getting PR specially after putting all these years in.

Once you've got your PR, it's only 1 more year and you can get your citizenship. Couldn't you hang out that long? PR gives you a cushion but it doesn't guarantee you can come back - rules can change, apart from anything else. You're feeling it worse right now because the memory of your trip is still fresh, but you say yourself you've had a fab time so far, so maybe once you've made the decision and you know it's not forever, you could make up your mind to enjoy it for a little bit longer?

The thing is that once u have PR you really do have all of your options open so u can just do what suits u at the time.

...but surely PR doesn't grant you forever access to Australia? I think it's only valid for a certain number of years and then, if you haven't lived in Australia for a reasonable amount of time during that period, they won't give you a return visa, so you can't get back in.

I thought PR was only "valid" for 5 years then you need to apply for a RRV which is dependant on a number of factors and if you haven't spent time in Oz, it may be an issue.

I would make sure you are fully aware of the implications if you are going back.

Good luck with the decision and doing what makes you happy - just make sure you have all the information for your future. x

...but surely PR doesn't grant you forever access to Australia? I think it's only valid for a certain number of years and then, if you haven't lived in Australia for a reasonable amount of time during that period, they won't give you a return visa, so you can't get back in.

That's correct in order to keep pr you most spend at two out of every five years in Australia otherwise you won't keep it.

I thought PR was only "valid" for 5 years then you need to apply for a RRV which is dependant on a number of factors and if you haven't spent time in Oz, it may be an issue.

I would make sure you are fully aware of the implications if you are going back.

Good luck with the decision and doing what makes you happy - just make sure you have all the information for your future. x

Pr is permanent as long as you don't leave Australia. If you do you need a rrv which you need to be able to return to Australia. You must spend at least two years in total out of every five in Australia to keep your pr visa.

It's a great feeling when you know without a doubt where you want to be, the rest of your time in Australia with fly past - do make the most of it!

I am not up on the detail of citizenship but I thought you had to be resident in Australia for 4 years? Do you have to have PR for a certain period before you can apply?

If there is any chance of getting citizenship it probably is worth it - it sounds like your feelings are like mine were, you don't dislike Australia it's just that all things considered you'd rather live in the UK. That could possibly change - I am assuming you are relatively young and single and 10 or even 20 years from now your priorities may change.

PR certainly protects you from a short term change of heart though and maybe that is enough for you. If you were to get citizenship under the current rules any future children would get it too, even if born in the UK which is quite a legacy to bestow.

Given my son's feelings about Australia I can't see him ever wanting to live there but who knows 10 or even 20 years from now :)

Good luck with the move back. I do agree with others though about the PR. When you said you would feel sorry for your employer - are they going to sponsor you for PR? If so you may find that you have to commit to them for a certain period of time.

Once you've got your PR, it's only 1 more year and you can get your citizenship. Couldn't you hang out that long? PR gives you a cushion but it doesn't guarantee you can come back - rules can change, apart from anything else. You're feeling it worse right now because the memory of your trip is still fresh, but you say yourself you've had a fab time so far, so maybe once you've made the decision and you know it's not forever, you could make up your mind to enjoy it for a little bit longer?

Oh god everyones saying I should get my citizenship... which I know in the grand scheme of life another year isn't that long, but if I can apply for pr in feb, that could take a few months to come through, so say this time next year. then only a year after that can I apply for citizenship. so that's June 2016 and then that could still take a few months. I want to go back now- but I don't want to be silly and give up my chances of ever coming back. Don't know what to do!

so I have been here 4 years already but because of changing jobs haven't got PR yet. I love Australia but yes all things considered I want to be near my family. Apparently you have to have PR for a year before you can apply for citizenship. Yes im 27 single and feel I want to start life back in the uk now ive done all my travelling etc but yes what if I change my mind, and god my kids would love me one day if they could come because I waited to get the passport! I prob wouldn't get it until end of 2016 and when everyday I feel like I should be back there now that's along time. I guess just see how I feel when I get my PR...? Don't get me wrong this is an amzing place to be for another 2 years its just another 2 away from my family when ive already done 4!

so I have been here 4 years already but because of changing jobs haven't got PR yet. I love Australia but yes all things considered I want to be near my family. Apparently you have to have PR for a year before you can apply for citizenship. Yes im 27 single and feel I want to start life back in the uk now ive done all my travelling etc but yes what if I change my mind, and god my kids would love me one day if they could come because I waited to get the passport! I prob wouldn't get it until end of 2016 and when everyday I feel like I should be back there now that's along time. I guess just see how I feel when I get my PR...? Don't get me wrong this is an amzing place to be for another 2 years its just another 2 away from my family when ive already done 4!

Tricky decision. I say even (as someone who now has to wait until 2016 to go back, and thinks about going home most days), try if you can to consider holding on for citizenship. You've almost done the hard work - what if you decide to come back at a later date, or fancy New Zealand? At 27 the scope for changing your priorities and wishes is huge and i wouldn't rule yourself out of the game when you're nearly there! Good luck on whatever you decide. I guess you have to take opinions with a pinch of salt - I spent my teens, 20's and early 30's in Brighton UK and looking back wouldn't have changed it for the world - I had a blast and miss it enormously!

Tricky decision. I say even (as someone who now has to wait until 2016 to go back, and thinks about going home most days), try if you can to consider holding on for citizenship. You've almost done the hard work - what if you decide to come back at a later date, or fancy New Zealand? At 27 the scope for changing your priorities and wishes is huge and i wouldn't rule yourself out of the game when you're nearly there! Good luck on whatever you decide. I guess you have to take opinions with a pinch of salt - I spent my teens, 20's and early 30's in Brighton UK and looking back wouldn't have changed it for the world - I had a blast and miss it enormously!

Do you mind me asking why you have to wait? I think it will be end of 2016 by time I get everything too. When I went back for my best friends wedding it was in Brighton- where she went to uni ! I know staying for citizenship would hands down be the more sensible thing I could do, I just well up when anybody asks if im ok now... I was fine before my blasted last trip back !

Do you mind me asking why you have to wait? I think it will be end of 2016 by time I get everything too. When I went back for my best friends wedding it was in Brighton- where she went to uni ! I know staying for citizenship would hands down be the more sensible thing I could do, I just well up when anybody asks if im ok now... I was fine before my blasted last trip back !

I have to wait because my son is doing another year at school due to illness. We can't interrupt his education at this point - but he wants to go back to study in the UK at uni. I am feeling impatient as I'm in my 50's and would go tomorrow if I could.... Not because I hate it here, but because I want to be back in my house (not renting!), exploring, walking the south downs, and spending time down the pub. I went back last year for three weeks and ended up spending five months (got a job!). Hubby sent me to get it out my system - Ha Ha! loved every minute. I absolutely understand why, at 27 the UK would seem preferable over Oz but I think as you have time on your hands it may be worth a bit of pain and patience now to keep your options open. To be honest, we have citizenship and much as I don't hanker to return right now, I'm glad we have it. After a couple of dismal winters - or a lottery win, even I could turn into a ping ponger!

Archived