Is OZ REALLY all that?

Huntersmummy

I'm always wary of the "if it doesn't work we can come back" - for many that is possible when you are both on the same page but every woman with kids needs to read the thread about removing children from Australia - basically, it ain't going to happen if one parent says no they can't go! I've no idea whether a legally witnessed statement of agreement that children could leave with one parent, signed before you leave UK would carry any weight but it might be a safeguard to try.

Personally I think the OPs DH is suffering under several delusions cost wise but, as one whose outgoings without kids or vices or mortgage/rent were of the order of $5k per month I'm seriously doubting that anyone could scrape by on £1k per month!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only things I would concede when it comes to costs is the saving on heating and winter clothes, at least in Perth. That's not to say plenty don't use heating during winter, but I personally have never done so. This does save in costs. But most everything else in the case of Perth is expensive and again on a purely personal level, I wouldn't leave a good job to come out to Perth these days unless pretty much assured of something.

When I touched down in 95 after a long absence, work was not forthcoming but the cost of living was cheap. Those conditions no longer prevail. Far better one part comes and checks out the reality before weighing anchor and sailing blindly in my view.

We came over with relatively little cash (£8000 as far as I remember), but my OH had a job lined up with a much bigger salary than his job in the UK (although it definitely isn't loads over here!). We have 4 kids and I am not working at the moment, but we have managed ok. Things have been very very tight at times though, and we have had to budget very carefully; we still do having been here a year.

So I would say it is possible to do the move on not much money, but as others have said, you will have to accept a possibly lower standard of living for a while, until you 'find your feet', which may take years.

Having said all this, we do feel better off here, and feel optimistic about our future here.

Just looking for advice from folks who have a reluctant partner...

Long story short, husband worked in OZ few years ago and said to me about emigrating.....mmmmm.....ok

Fast forward 3 years, 2 kids later and 1 marriage, we just put in our application for the visa.

I have my doubts that we wont be able to survive on his wages alone (i dont have a "proper job" as such, im a sales assistant) Husband is a carpenter.

Were going to perth hopefully.

I see OZ as stupidly expensive from what ive read online about day to day living. Im terrified our 30 grand savings wont go far and he'll work longer just to keep us afloat until we can put both kids into kindergarden.

Has anyone moved and done ok on one wage? I think my husbands looking through rose tinted glasses. :(

An honest answer ....hopefully balanced .....

What do you have in the U.k ...and what type of area and housing do you live in .....what type of school are your children at ......

These may not seem important questions now , but they are ....

I left Brum ,to go to oz when I was in my 20s ....houses were cheap , wages were high in oz ...it was a win win .....

If you were leaving some run down area of the u.k with nothing to lose then I would say go for it , its a great life for young kids

If your partner has a successful set up in kent , I would think long and hard .

I don't need to spell out the negatives of the u.k to you ...overcrowded and **** weather

on the plus side , you are a short train ride away from 2 of the worlds great cities, London and BLOODY PARIS ( and you don't have to live there ) , JAMMY SOD .

and iam envious that you are 3 hours closer to Europe than me ....I see loads of people from your neck of the woods over in le touquet ,in northern france for the weekend ...finish work at 2 0n a Friday ...you can be having a beer in the sun @ 5 , if you live in kent ...iam jealous

What do you have in the U.k ...and what type of area and housing do you live in .....what type of school are your children at ......

I left Brum ,to go to oz when I was in my 20s ....houses were cheap , wages were high in oz ...it was a win win .....

If you were leaving some run down area of the u.k with nothing to lose then I would say go for it , its a great life for young kids

I don't need to spell out the negatives of the u.k to you ...overcrowded and **** weather

on the plus side , you are a short train ride away from 2 of the worlds great cities, London and BLOODY PARIS ( and you don't have to live there ) , JAMMY SOD .

and iam envious that you are 3 hours closer to Europe than me ....I see loads of people from your neck of the woods over in le touquet ,in northern france for the weekend ...finish work at 2 0n a Friday ...you can be having a beer in the sun @ 5 , if you live in kent ...iam jealous

instead of looking at what you aint got ....look at what you have got .......if its all bad GO ! .....take a step back , and have a look at your lives. ......the answer will come .

Been here 36 years and its a much harder place to live now than even a few years ago. Living on a single income would be a real push today. I would be doing as much research as possible before sitting down with the other half and being totally honest with each other. Australia is a very depressing place if its not for you.

Been here 36 years and its a much harder place to live now than even a few years ago. Living on a single income would be a real push today. I would be doing as much research as possible before sitting down with the other half and being totally honest with each other. Australia is a very depressing place if its not for you.

You've do/ne the time so can see the present situation with a degree of clarity. I'd agree and say Australia is a hard place these days. It's a question of what the person has to loose.

Are you for real would rather be able o get to Sydney or Melbs with great ease. I don't really like any of europe.

Yer it is all that. Europe is finished imo. Oz has a much better economy/ lifestyle/ weather and beaches. Things like being far away from europe are a plus for me. Whats so great about europe anyway??! Everyone's foreign and speaks another language to you and the weather is only a bit better you still cant escape our winter. Wheras in oz you can escape winter altogether.

Yer it is all that. Europe is finished imo. Oz has a much better economy/ lifestyle/ weather and beaches. Things like being far away from europe are a plus for me. Whats so great about europe anyway??! Everyone's foreign and speaks another language to you and the weather is only a bit better you still cant escape our winter. Wheras in oz you can escape winter altogether.

If you need to ask such a question an answer would be wasted.

There is so much economic uncertainty around at the moment in both countries, I would not give up your job wherever you may be. If that is in Australia, then doubly so cause dream jobs in Europe are pretty rare at the moment.

(I had a dream job in Australia and gave it up stupidly).

Please be aware if you do decide to come over and it's not for you or you want to go back but hubby doesn't he can stop you taking the children back with you. There are many parents stuck here because their partner doesn't want to go back and won't allow the children to go back either. Under the Hague convention you cannot remove the children without consent from the country of residence which having migrated to Australia would be Australia. If as it seems you are reluctant i would consider everything very carefully. I know someone who is this situation and can't leave because of the children. Don't want to be negative at all just think all parents need to be aware of this. Good luck.

I never went to Perth, but the part of Australia I was in was also beautiful. We could have had a very good standard of living and afforded a lovely house in a good area, but I wasn't happy there. We both gave up good jobs and a lovely house in the UK for guess what...? The lifestyle, which when it comes down to it is weather and the beaches and being able to have a bbq all year round, lol. There were times when I'd have been happy never to see another beach in my life again!

If you're unsure about going then think about this. If you're not happy there and at times feel you made a mistake, will sitting on the most wonderful, cleanest bit of sand make it all worth it. If you can find happiness sitting on a beach then you'll be fine!

Seriously, if you have a good life in the UK be careful what you give up in the hope of achieving something even better as it doesn't always work like that. Chicken66 above has some very valid advice and I would echo that and suggest you make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for. The law about moving children to another country doesn't take in to account temporary moves or 'trial periods'. Once you go, that's it, even if it's for just a few months.

Well again thank you all for your opinions and advice. Its opened up a lot of questions especially regarding the kiddies that I didnt really think about. I mean id like to think my husband wouldnt be an arse and try to keep the kids there if we did go and it didnt work out but....

I know im gonna get shot down for this but I did say if we did move, I wanted to be in a city/big town near a hospital incase we get eaten by spiders....yes I know its a stupid reason.....google fills you with dread! Hence the reason we said perth....also seemed like the "it" place to go....again, google's fault!

Well see....if we did stay here we would move to cornwall but we still have to content with chavs/bad weather/expensive petrol! Although im cautious, oz does tickle me in a way that id like to experience. Either that or I have a rash ;)

Bad joke, but thank u all again! Time to chat with the husband i guess. :)

Why not come for a try? Your children are still very young, and are consequently very easy to move. I will be honest, we moved here (Sydney) on a 457, with two (small) children and with a job to come to for OH, which had a tiny salary ($65k per year). This was a bit over five years ago. We did come with savings (the proceeds of a house and business sale), but we also came with the attitude that we would give it a go, but that if it all went pear shaped we would simply go home. It was never meant to be a final decision. As it turns out, we have been happy here and are now citizens, but there would have been nothing wrong with going back to the UK had it not worked out.

Australia isn't perfect. We get bogans/bad weather (yes it can be too hot or too wet to go out)/expensive petrol, but at the end of the day life is what you make it. We loved loving in the UK - OH had a good job, we used to go out walking and so on on the weekends and we lived in a beautiful cottage in the countryside. Here we have a similar lifestyle. OH has a good job, we go out walking at the weekends and we live in a beautiful house on the edge of a national park. It didn't change our life, just moved it to another part of the world.

You need to talk honestly and openly as a couple. Migration is a very, very stressful procedure. Even the strongest of relationships would be tested, and you just have to be on the same side.

Ha ha. I remember on my first couple of days there I would open the back door and then look outside for snakes, red backs and white tips before I'd even put a foot outside! After a few weeks I relaxed a bit, and then in the end I didn't even think about it. If I was in the garden and saw a red back then I'd just get my flip flop and whack it. It's the big ones in the house that scared the life out of me when I first saw one - it was a whistling spider and about the size of a tarantula (but harmless). Forget catching it in a glass, I needed a pyrex jug! It's body was the size of a small mouse so flip flopping that would've made one hell of a mess. My ex got bitten on the hand by a small red back and it made his arm go numb, he went to hospital and got a jab of some sort and was fine. I never saw one snake. It's the sharks you need to watch out for. Four people got killed by sharks when I was there.

You know what though, now I'm back in England I can tackle any size spider in the house without fear and just pick it up and throw it outside. :smile:

Are you for real would rather be able o get to Sydney or Melbs with great ease. I don't really like any of europe.

I like Sydney & Melbs but come on...There is nothing like walking around and enjoying the history of Paris and London. I wouldn't want to live in either but they are amazing to visit

Probably the most ridiculous comment I have ever read on the internet. Europe has everything, not every country has everything but the continent as a whole does.

No it dosen't. There isnt anywhere in Europe where its hot 20 degrees plus in winter??

Or there is no tropics, rainforest ect.

You cannot live in a hot climate and live within the British language/ culture like Australia. I lived in greece for a long while too.

I hate history and stuff, means nothing to me. I love that Australia has no history because I cant be bothered with that sort of thing anyway. Honestly I like travelling but if I got a visa, i'd never leave Australia again only for perhaps one week a year to sit on a beach in bali with other Australian's drinking beer. That said I might even not ever leave Victoria. Victoria has it all! :)

No it dosen't. There isnt anywhere in Europe where its hot 20 degrees plus in winter??

You cannot live in a hot climate and live within the British language/ culture like Australia. I lived in greece for a long while too.

I hate history and stuff, means nothing to me. I love that Australia has no history because I cant be bothered with that sort of thing anyway. Honestly I like travelling but if I got a visa, i'd never leave Australia again only for perhaps one week a year to sit on a beach in bali with other Australian's drinking beer. That said I might even not ever leave Victoria. Victoria has it all! :)

No rainforest in Victoria and winter temps definitely not 20+ in winter but don't let facts get in the way of a good emotive argument.

You have said nothing to change my opinion that making such a sweeping statement is ridiculous at all. Even more so when your comment seems to contradict itself, I have been to Victoria in winter it was fairly grim from what I remember.

Sounds to me as if you're just being sensible which you need to be when you have young kids, different scenario if you didn't. However, sometimes in life you need to get out of your comfort zone and take chances. Depending on your expected standard of living will probably depend on how you get on, sure it is expensive living here in Oz but with bit of budgeting and determination for a while, there's a strong chance that it all could work out. Sure if it doesn't you can go back but remember that would cost a lot of money too.

Just make sure you and your husband are on the same page. I came over 12 years ago after persuasion from mine, I really didn't want to do it - big mistake. As the kids got older it just wasn't easy to move back and as he was always dead against it I never could. We're now apart and I'm going back next year as my kids are older but it's 13 yrs later and England has probably changed along with me. However saying that Australia hasn't been unkind to me, I've got a good life here but it's never ticked the boxes in my heart that's all. The majority of migrants love it and there is a lot to love, you just need the right positive state of mind to make it work.

Good luck with your decision making!

Archived