We moved back 4 years ago

carrotcruncher

Surely you're missing the middle ground? No one's asking you to fall in love with the place. There are two ways to make friends - sometimes you hit it off straight away, and sometimes the friendship grows gradually. Right now, you're turning your back, folding your arms and refusing to play, so there's no chance of a friendship ever developing. You will never feel at home in Oz, but you might, if you give it a chance, feel comfortable with it.

With respect, as someone who knows EW pretty well, I don't think its friendships (or lack thereof) that presents a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong mate, but I think the issue with Aus is turning off the 'meh' and allowing yourself to think 'this is home'*

*for now

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect, as someone who knows EW pretty well, I don't think its friendships (or lack thereof) that presents a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong mate, but I think the issue with Aus is turning off the 'meh' and allowing yourself to think 'this is home'*

That's exactly the impression I got, actually. I doubt he'll ever get to the point of thinking "this is home", but right now he's not even opening the door to that possibility. And if he did, he might find himself getting to a halfway point where he could feel much more comfortable, even if not completely at home.

I was using friendship as an analogy - he was saying he never fell in love with Australia, I'm saying just because you didn't fall in love, doesn't mean you should refuse to attempt to be friends.

Edited by Marisawright

:cry: Big big big mistake. Can't wait to get back to the sun. Record snow falls, record low temperatures, record rain fall, record winds......UK weather ERRRRRR!

I will kiss the tarmac at Perth airport when we arrive.:biggrin:

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone

(apologies to Joni Mitchell)

At least you tried it and you won't have the what if's ? Life is too short to stay somewhere that doesn't do it for you.

- too true, no regrets at either having gone in first place, or returning

But it does seem to be a city that people either love or hate! It's one mistake immigrants often make - assuming that because we all sound pretty much the same, that all Australians are the same and the only difference between the states is the climate.

That wan't the mistake that I made - I was seduced by the attraction of a higher standard of living (higher salary, the house, the space, the sun etc) but what I overlooked and took 6 months of living in Oz (could be anywhere in Oz btw) to figure out was that, for me at least a perceived higher standard of living does not mean the same as an improved or better quality of life.

Bit hard to define, but for me there just isn't enough choice of things to do in Oz - skiing is pretty marginal, sandflies can destroy a beach trip, newspapers spend too much time reporting on what is happening in the UK, Woolworths, Coles and....? for a 1st world country the price of books is obscene, TV (when I watched it) was dire (apart from BBC World)...there are some really really good places to go but there are so few of them (Exmouth and Coral Bay get booked up months or years in advance)..airfares are a complete rip off.

2 years was enough for me....just had a week skiing in La Plagne, M+S. Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys,....Country Pubs, Balti restaurants. Bluebells are out....Easyjet to anywhere in a couple of hours. Proper newspapers...Waterstones..just bought a Chromecast for BBC iPLayer and to see if Netflix is any good. If I want a really decent outdoors BBQ, I'll spend GBP550 on an airfare to South Africa and nip over to the Kruger Park and do it properly..Amazon.co.uk

So that's about it for me...so many people just can't see or understand the difference between Standard of Living and Quality of Life - maybe that's why so many people want to return/retire to the UK when they get older.

Edited by TerryDXB

Why was luvcornwall's post and the others deleted?

Because the member is currently banned and posted using a duplicate account. Once the post was deleted, it made no sense to leave replies on the thread as they are now out of context.

*for now

Very much so mate. It is a case of not comparing, not criticising the place or concentrating on the deficits attached to living here, but trying to focus upon what I enjoy. I am slowly getting towards a mindset which accommodates the bad stuff and really enjoys the good, but it's taken me over five years to get to this point.

At least you tried it and you won't have the what if's ? Life is too short to stay somewhere that doesn't do it for you.

- too true, no regrets at either having gone in first place, or returning

But it does seem to be a city that people either love or hate! It's one mistake immigrants often make - assuming that because we all sound pretty much the same, that all Australians are the same and the only difference between the states is the climate.

That wan't the mistake that I made - I was seduced by the attraction of a higher standard of living (higher salary, the house, the space, the sun etc) but what I overlooked and took 6 months of living in Oz (could be anywhere in Oz btw) to figure out was that, for me at least a perceived higher standard of living does not mean the same as an improved or better quality of life.

Bit hard to define, but for me there just isn't enough choice of things to do in Oz - skiing is pretty marginal, sandflies can destroy a beach trip, newspapers spend too much time reporting on what is happening in the UK, Woolworths, Coles and....? for a 1st world country the price of books is obscene, TV (when I watched it) was dire (apart from BBC World)...there are some really really good places to go but there are so few of them (Exmouth and Coral Bay get booked up months or years in advance)..airfares are a complete rip off.

2 years was enough for me....just had a week skiing in La Plagne, M+S. Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys,....Country Pubs, Balti restaurants. Bluebells are out....Easyjet to anywhere in a couple of hours. Proper newspapers...Waterstones..just bought a Chromecast for BBC iPLayer and to see if Netflix is any good. If I want a really decent outdoors BBQ, I'll spend GBP550 on an airfare to South Africa and nip over to the Kruger Park and do it properly..Amazon.co.uk

So that's about it for me...so many people just can't see or understand the difference between Standard of Living and Quality of Life - maybe that's why so many people want to return/retire to the UK when they get older.

I feel homesick just reading the bit I've put in bold Terry!. Love the signature by the way!

The boozers here seem to be less so. Even if the clientele is rough the pub at least has nice toilets.

Really ??? I don't spend much time in the bogs to check out the ambiance.so I take it you drink your pint in the toilets then because its much nicer lol .that says a lot about the establishments you drink in.bloody hell Harrogate pubs must be really rough then:biggrin:

Head kicked in in Liverpool, nearly murdered by mafia like gang in Bristol, threatened in Yeovil, but nothing in 34 years in Perth other than theft from taxman, councils, utility providers and employers,

That crap happens everywhere.wrong place wrong time unfortunately.one poor bloke just been killed in adelaide Cbd had his head kicked in he was 44 so not your average thug I presume.

I feel homesick just reading the bit I've put in bold Terry!. Love the signature by the way!

Sorry - by way of balance, I could add the following:

Ed Milliband, The M25, November, Alex Salmond, Daily Star, Poundstretchers, Katie Price, Cardiff City Football Club (not all of it, just Vincent Tan), Milton Keynes.............if it helps, the bluebells will probably be gone by next week

Edited by TerryDXB

It might not have the same class system as UK, but I think it has something. I am in a pretty senior job and so I tend to work and mix with other senior people. I am telling you they boast and brag about the schools they send their kids too, it would be deeply shameful to use a public school, they are also very, very suburb conscious and I have even heard conversations bragging about their investment portfolios, wanted the ground to open up and swallow me first time I came across that. Class no. Brash, yes can be at times.

But as someone going through a deliberation between two countries that I love, I envy your clear thinking about where you want to be. Good luck with the move back.

I 100% agree!! I am quite happily settled here but OMG there really is a 'class' system here, and it's very much more aggressive!!

I 100% agree!! I am quite happily settled here but OMG there really is a 'class' system here, and it's very much more aggressive!!

No **** Sherlock but where is here you are not allowed to generalise you know .you wil have to give a map reference so we know where here is then we might be able too divulge info and give advice on where (here is)pm if you want lol:laugh:

The bluebells have been amazing this year. Actually the whole garden is looking fantastic. But I digress.

I think a lot of it come down to attitude. Verystormy was a classic example. I've never seen anyone moan about oz as much as him. But then he bit the bullet, took citizenship, and he seems to see everything in a new light.

My English wife still refers to Australia as home, and she only lived there for a year. But for some it's hard. Letting go can be hard to do.

Sorry - by way of balance, I could add the following:

Ed Milliband, The M25, November, Alex Salmond, Daily Star, Poundstretchers, Katie Price, Cardiff City Football Club (not all of it, just Vincent Tan), Milton Keynes.............if it helps, the bluebells will probably be gone by next week

The bluebells have been amazing this year. Actually the whole garden is looking fantastic. But I digress.

I think a lot of it come down to attitude. Verystormy was a classic example. I've never seen anyone moan about oz as much as him. But then he bit the bullet, took citizenship, and he seems to see everything in a new light.

My English wife still refers to Australia as home, and she only lived there for a year. But for some it's hard. Letting go can be hard to do.

what do you prefer...oz or the uk?

Head kicked in in Liverpool, nearly murdered by mafia like gang in Bristol, threatened in Yeovil, but nothing in 34 years in Perth other than theft from taxman, councils, utility providers and employers,

Wasn't me honest! i was in the house watching Cagney and Lacey

I don't think I can answer that.

But my family are in Perth, and that is a big pull. But whether I'd have the balls to put the kids through a move I don't know.

You're doing what's best for "immediate" family,that's to be commended Jez,as is your selfless attitude

That wan't the mistake that I made - I was seduced by the attraction of a higher standard of living (higher salary, the house, the space, the sun etc) but what I overlooked...was that, for me at least a perceived higher standard of living does not mean the same as an improved or better quality of life.

Bit hard to define, but for me there just isn't enough choice of things to do in Oz...

2 years was enough for me....just had a week skiing in La Plagne, M+S. Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys,....Country Pubs, Balti restaurants. Bluebells are out....Easyjet to anywhere in a couple of hours.

We're having a discussion about this on another thread, with some people insisting there's plenty to do in Oz - but I know exactly what you mean. A lot depends on what your interests are. For me, living in Sydney, the lack of choice didn't bother me when I was working. My main hobby is dancing and I was so involved with that, I didn't have much time for anything else anyway. Now I'm too old (who wants to watch a 60-year-old belly dancer?), I'm struggling to fill the void.

If we go back to the UK it's going to hurt financially - not because of lower salaries (we're retired) but higher tax, which will savage our retirement nest egg. But I'm like you, I do value quality of living above standard of living, and we've been trying to assess whether it would be worth it anyway for that reason.

Edited by Marisawright

Deteriorating NHS, rising prices, I know prices in OZ are high, but you don't have heating costs, also the ridiculous class system especially here in the SW. In my 34 years in OZ I was never made to feel any different to anyone else.

No heating costs because there is no central heating. The houses in WA are freezing in the winter.