We moved back 4 years ago

carrotcruncher

And Adelaide. Gets really really cold here in Winter, believe it or not. We've been having some lovely mild days, but you can tell Winter's on its way come sunset. My electric blanket is on right now (it's 12.05am as I type). It's lovely here though.

Yeah love Adelaide, central markets are brilliant, much better food choices than Perth. Keep on enjoying :biggrin:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Paul, I retired and we wanted to see a lot more of Europe which we have done and now we are pretty well travelled out and would rather be back in the sun.

That's interesting. We're in the same boat - looking at going back for the same reason. It's interesting that you've got to the stage of being "travelled out", as there seem to be considerable taxation obstacles to moving permanently and we've been debating whether to move lock stock and barrel, or leave most of our stuff in storage here for an eventual move back.

Did you have a base in the UK and have holidays from there, or did you move around?

:cry: Big big big mistake. Can't wait to get back to the sun. Record snow falls, record low temperatures, record rain fall, record winds......UK weather ERRRRRR!

I will kiss the tarmac at Perth airport when we arrive.:biggrin:

Record dry spring, record mild winter, record mildest year since 1987, the reasons you left oz are still there....good luck...:wink:

Funny how people want the OP to justify their decision but get stroppy when people ask someone to justify returning to the UK. Their decision their choice. Do what makes you happy. Good luck !

People?

This didn't chime with my impression from reading the thread, so I went back and checked

It's not *people* who want the OP to justify their decision - it was *person*

This post says as much about your bias as the supposed target of it - ie the "people" who you are implying are biased/partisan themselves

i ping ponged but coming back to oz was the best thing i could of done. just wish id stayed the fist time & saved the money:twitcy:

I kissed the ground when I got back to Melbourne too. Couldn't hack it in England at all like I had stepped back in

time.

Deteriorating NHS, rising prices, I know prices in OZ are high, but you don't have heating costs, also the ridiculous class system especially here in the SW. In my 34 years in OZ I was never made to feel any different to anyone else.

No so different here. Energy costs have gone sky high over recent years. Housing is some of the most inflated prices in the world and hospital admissions are often hard pushed to find beds. Besides cuts galore to the social security system look to be in the pipe line. Money or the appearance of replaces what passes as class in England just as obnoxious in my view.

The entire western world is going through a crisis largely of its own making

Yep, Victorian pubs....castles, magnificent stately homes, history...ahhhhhh

Yeah but how often do you bother with any of these? Ive seen Warwick castle a million times and who cares about stately homes?

Actually like the Aussie pubs because you can have a bet with your pint

No Paul, I retired and we wanted to see a lot more of Europe which we have done and now we are pretty well travelled out and would rather be back in the sun.

Hope you have the financial side sorted. UK pension will be frozen from day of departure from UK. One is required to live in Australia two years to qualify for an Aussie pension as I understand it.

Gosh travelled out from touring Europe? I guess you can take to the Grey Nomad trail or dip into Asia, which of course will be far cheaper and plenty of sun.

People?

This didn't chime with my impression from reading the thread, so I went back and checked

It's not *people* who want the OP to justify their decision - it was *person*

This post says as much about your bias as the supposed target of it - ie the "people" who you are implying are biased/partisan themselves

How am I bias please ? Biased against what exactly? I don't care if the want to live in outer Mongolia their choice!

Funny how people want the OP to justify their decision but get stroppy when people ask someone to justify returning to the UK. Their decision their choice. Do what makes you happy. Good luck !

Hi,

Lakelands eh! We still have a block at Wannanup, so will build there when we get back :daydreaming:

Hope you have the financial side sorted. UK pension will be frozen from day of departure from UK. One is required to live in Australia two years to qualify for an Aussie pension as I understand it.

Gosh travelled out from touring Europe? I guess you can take to the Grey Nomad trail or dip into Asia, which of course will be far cheaper and plenty of sun.

UK pension will only be 25 quid a week DWP inform me but I will continue getting my Oz pension (partial).

Wifey is not keen on caravans, so grey nomading is out. Probably will look around Asia, quite like Bali, but will do a lot of touring the Margaret River and SW vineyards.

That's interesting. We're in the same boat - looking at going back for the same reason. It's interesting that you've got to the stage of being "travelled out", as there seem to be considerable taxation obstacles to moving permanently and we've been debating whether to move lock stock and barrel, or leave most of our stuff in storage here for an eventual move back.

Did you have a base in the UK and have holidays from there, or did you move around?

We bought a house here on Exmoor. It looks like we've sold it now but despite the media hype we've lost money on it.

I think the exchange rate is on our side so a loss on the sale price is negated by the exchange rate.:skeptical: