We love it here but too expensive to settle!

Tomawa

Sorry in advance if I sound ungrateful!

We were asked to move to Australia just one year into an overseas posting to Kuala Lumpur, we left the UK originally for an adventure with our young family and had plans to return to the UK after our 3 year posting. We decided to carry on the adventure and move to Perth instead of going home after just one year in Malaysia. We went to such a lot of effort renting out our house in Scotland and selling furniture and cars to just go home. We have been here in Perth for 3 years now and have a mixture of Aussie and British friends. From day one everyone assumed we had emigrated here. The conversations I've had with my friends here have all been about staying, buying a house, what schools I want my kids to go to for high school (seems the norm to send to private, not just well off families either) and I'm finding the pressure to settle down and stay hard to deal with. People constantly saying "oh I could never go back" and putting down the UK mainly because of the "rain".

I find myself defending my old life and the things I loved about living there. We have applied for PR and hopefully we will get it before next January otherwise we will have to pay the local state school $6,000 to send our 2 kids there. All 457 visa holders will have to pay for schooling next academic year, I wonder if that will push up the wait lists for private schools further? There are 4 classes in each year group at my kids school up to year 5 when half the school leaves for private religious schools. There are 8 kids in year 7! What is so wrong with the local high schools that people on mass feel they want to shell out thousands for private schools.

Anyway, that's another issue, getting side tracked. We absolutely love our life here and we are having such a good time but it's expensive. We plan to stay for another two or three years and then go back to the UK when our kids are ready for high school. House prices are half the price back in Aberdeen (even though they are considered to be through the roof there) with a top performing government school on our doorstep that is as good as expensive private schools here (and it's free), I've been on so many school tours here and I'm an experienced teacher so I have something to compare them to. Grandparents and other family back in the UK will be a 4 hour drive away. So that's the plan.

We will swap golden beaches for the gorgeous Scottish countryside, both equally beautiful but very different. We are going to make the most of having this amazing time here in Australia, lap up the gorgeous beaches and beautiful weather but for us it's too far away from our families as our parents get older, property is massively expensive, local government schools not as good and saving $11,000 for flights for the family on a regular basis might be tricky with all the other costs. Salary will be about 20% less in UK but houses half price. My dream was always to travel the world and I feel so lucky to be able to spend several years in this beautiful country, looking forward to taking my kids to some of my favourite places in Europe when they get older. For me change is what makes life exciting, one chapter ends and another begins. Anyone else love it here but feel they can't afford to stay and still afford those flights home, schools, mortgages etc?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate what you are saying but just had my sister in law over from UK and she lives in Newcastle on Tyne not an expensive area to live. She said that she thought the costs were comparable with the UK, given that our wages are higher. So you may find that while you have been away things may have changed.

As for schooling, I think that State schools are just as good however its because of the laws and the way discipline and parents have evolved over the years that have made some parents to want their children to be educated privately. This is because they feel that there is more discipline that suits their children. Also its a bit of what others do others follow Sheep we have lots of sheep not just in Aus and NZ.

That said I sent my children to private high school because I wanted a smaller school, the school was closer to where we live and it worked ot great for me. However I do not think the education they received was any better than any other high school. Bottom line is its down to the student and what their home life is like. My son is a teacher in the State system and one year may be ok the next may not depends on the merchandise.

I have no problem with ou returning and if people are saying these things, change the subject when they bring it up. That way they will get the message that you do not want to discuss what your intentions are. Also do not take any notice of what others say, do what you like.

Personally I love Scotland to visit like for a holiday but no, could not live there in a blue fit. Know thyself we are all different and we all like different things.

Good luck with your return but its funny how places change in the bat of an eye and our memories are challenged.

I think you should do as you please and ignore anyone that questions your decision. If they bring up rain, point out that most cities in Australia have higher rain and rain on more days of a month than most UK cities (that one is my bug bear)!

Sometimes we muse that if we went back to UK we have a beautiful cottage in the countryside all paid for to go back to, whereas here we would have quite a few more mortgaged up years ahead of us. Other than housing, I don't find costs too bad, but then I don't focus and compare either. We are happy here though, so I reckon we probably will put up with the less favourable financial situation as a price worth paying. I guess that is the question it comes down to, is the price worth paying.

Guest Guest 47403
I think you should do as you please and ignore anyone that questions your decision. If they bring up rain, point out that most cities in Australia have higher rain and rain on more days of a month than most UK cities (that one is my bug bear)!

Sometimes we muse that if we went back to UK we have a beautiful cottage in the countryside all paid for to go back to, whereas here we would have quite a few more mortgaged up years ahead of us. Other than housing, I don't find costs too bad, but then I don't focus and compare either. We are happy here though, so I reckon we probably will put up with the less favourable financial situation as a price worth paying. I guess that is the question it comes down to, is the price worth paying.

Absolute rubbish you need to look into that one, more rain in some cities yes but more rain days total tosh!

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Australia/Cities/precipitation-annual-average.php

Guest Guest40285

I have been here close to 20 years and I reckon everything is dear as bloody pioson, cost of living is massive. Both my girls go to state schools and love it.I think lots of people send their children to private schools because its trendy and keeping up with the Jones. Maybe try getting away from the sand gropers and move to another state ? Good luck in your adventure and happy days.

Guest Guest 47403
No it isn't rubbish, I have looked into it and that is why I said it.

Well your wrong, whilst quite a few Australian cities do recieve more rainfall than UK cities, most Australian cities get that rain in less rainy day days than the UK.

Ive never experienced so little rain in my life till I moved to aus!...the weather is only reason I want to stay..otherwise I find uk and aus the same financially and in opportunities etc...I just wish the uk was warm like aus

I really feel sorry for you.

It is mind blowing expensive in oz even when taking wages into account, rents are unbelievable which IMO is dead money, no wonder so many find it hard to survive.

I don't see poverty in the same levels here as back home.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/churches-unite-to-act-on-food-poverty-600-leaders-from-all-denominations-demand-government-uturn-on-punitive-benefits-sanctions-9263035.html

Utterly shocking

Can't comment on Australia's prices but I've spoke to two Australians that are living in Edinburgh and they seem to think the Uk is really expensive which I was surprised at. I said to them don't you find it much cheaper than back home , everybody tells me how expensive Australia is. Think it must be to do with the minimum wage maybe

We returned to Scotland from Australia 14 years ago but will be going back later this year. In our case it was going from Brisbane to Dundee. First thing to point out is that Perth is way bigger in population than Aberdeen (approx 1.7 million to 220,000) so makes it difficult to compare like for like. Perth's population is about 3 times that of Glasgow and while Aberdeen is a more relatively affluent area due to the oil rigs than Glasgow which has a much higher level of poverty for example. So as far as other people saying they could never go back, it may be for different reasons and it depends on where you are going back to and what kind of life you can afford when you get there. Although your income is less here it is still possible to have a comfortable life over here if you manage to get a job and look after your money. From what I have researched on line there is not much difference in a 4 bedroom house price here and in Queensland and looking at private rents for same size roughly equivalent taking into account you pay Council Tax here and no rates when renting in Australia. The cost of fuel has doubled since we arrived here and we spend a lot more money on that over here along with electricity prices which I think have doubled also. I would say that supermarket prices are still much more competitive over here and of course flights to Europe are relatively cheap for holidays in a warmer climate and only take a few hours to get there. As far as schooling goes - well it depends again on the area you live in - if you live in an affluent area you will have much better schools than if you live in a deprived area. People send their children to private schools here as well and as in Australia private schools on the whole do perform better than state schools. When I was at school (state) out of 10 classes in our year at high school - only the top 2 (academically) got the attention from the teachers - the rest got left to their own devices and you definitely didn't want it to be known if you were clever if you didn't want your head kicked in so maybe people don't want their children to have to experience that if they did themselves??? I know people (Australians) from the state school system in Qld who said that their experience was similar and had people coming to school drinking alcohol and taking drugs in class and if they could afford it they wouldn't put their children through it.

Hi Tomawa

We have been living in Perth for 5 years and originally from Aberdeen too, my OH & I earn double her what we could in the UK doing the same jobs. But we feeling no better off for it, with rent, food cars & too little ones our money keeps us comfortable but not lots of spare cash or saving which is why we're still here otherwise we'd be off back to Scotland by now. We do appreciate though the help we get from the Aus government with child care costs it does help a little as we both work full time. That's mainly our biggest issue with living here we both work full time shifts including nights, and the kids are missing out on us especially together as a family. They normally only get one of us at a time so we feel like single parents a lot! The state primary school they go to is really good, but so over capacity and the area is in desperate need of another school. With lots of suburbs being built with no new schools being approved yet.

We do feel there is lots of keeping up with the jones here in regard schooling along with other things ( UK too).

Really miss the beautiful green countryside and the changing seasons! Really miss the rain and cold and dark nights which is funny to me but that's how I feel. And before we left we underestimate just how much belonging somewhere means to us.

Good luck :biggrin:

No it isn't rubbish, I have looked into it and that is why I said it.

You're both right, I think. Yes Australia has more rain overall, but because it falls in big downpours, Britain has more rainy days.

I remember when I first saw rain in Sydney, I thought it was a monsoon! But I soon realized the benefit of getting all your rain in one big dump, because it's over with and then you get more days of unbroken sunshine.

Can't comment on Australia's prices but I've spoke to two Australians that are living in Edinburgh and they seem to think the Uk is really expensive which I was surprised at. I said to them don't you find it much cheaper than back home , everybody tells me how expensive Australia is. Think it must be to do with the minimum wage maybe

The big thing for me, when I was on holiday in the UK, was the price of restaurants and cafes. You can eat out very cheaply in Australia compared to the UK. A cup of good coffee costs $4 and a pub meal costs $10 to $20. A main course at a nice restaurant costs $20 to $30. In the UK, we could change those dollar signs to pounds - meaning everything cost nearly double! Australians eat out a lot, so if they still have Aussie habits, that would have an impact.

The other thing is rents - I've been researching rents in the UK as we're thinking of moving back. Edinburgh is horrendously expensive compared to many other UK cities.

I don't believe Oz is that more expensive. Even if it is I think it's worth paying for. For average working class people like myself Oz offers a much better lifestyle. You just live within your means and enjoy the beautiful weather, environment and the wide open spaces.

Guest Guest66881

Been here three years yeah it can be expensive but you learn to adjust cut your cloth and all that, just like we did in england for so many years.

Our daughter visits twice a year now, and she says it every time she visits, the prices here are much the same as brum city centre but some things are way more expensive.

Good luck with the next phase of your journey.

We are living in the ACT and I would have to say that the cost of living here isn't that much more different to where we were living in England. Some things are cheaper and others more. As for rent we have a 4 bed that we rent for $500 a week. where we were in the England we would be paying about $420 a week but with less living space. Food i find comparable to England - lamb is definitely cheaper in Aus. I have never eaten so much lamb...lol. As for schooling it is the same no matter where you live good head usually means good school and then the rest is down to you, your child and the teachers. As for the weather well being in the ACT only 6 months I can say it's cold in the winter fabulous in the summer and great in the autumn. Plus we are only 2 hours from the beach and snow :)

Guest BrisbaneBevan

I find the cost of living in Australia more than in the UK. But it is relative. As other posters have mentioned.. you earn more, pay less tax and have more disposable income. If you think in terms of currency change, then it is very expensive, but dollar earned versus dollar spent - is not far off what it would be in England. Second hand stuff is dear - cars especially!

comparing exchange rates is pointless, unless you plan to live in another country while spending a different Country's currency.

Thai people would find UK expensive, does it mean that they are better off in Thailand?

America seems cheap, probably not so when working at Walmart at poverty wages

I think a lot depends on which suburb you choose, too. You get to know where the cheapest food is. The supermarkets price it according to what they think people will pay. Go to Kew or Camberwell and you'll pay more than, say, Bayswater or Ferntree Gully. You will possibly get better meat etc- but not necessarily. Same with housing- and often just because it is cheaper doesn't mean it is 'rougher' and vice versa. Just have to be a bit canny and keep your eyes open.

Archived