Mother being forced to leave her child in Australia.

blossom

Not saying I agree or disagree but what if every illegal immigrant (and not saying the above woman is) was to manage to bed an Aussie and get pregnant? Should they all be allowed to stay?

Well, I guess you raise a hypothetical question.... The answer to which is that not every illegal immigrant does want or try to get pregnant to stay. So, no need to worry.....

Most illegal immigrants are actually European/ British people (yes they are) who have overstayed their tourist or working visas.

I am not aware of a mad influx of Brits trying to 'bed an Aussie' to get pregnant just to stay. Unless you know something I don't?

However, the article raises the very serious issue of a Mother who has been here eight years being forced to leave her four year old behind. That is immoral and frankly I would be disappointed in anybody who supported such a notion.

Well, I guess you raise a hypothetical question.... The answer to which is that not every illegal immigrant does want or try to get pregnant to stay. So, no need to worry.....

Most illegal immigrants are actually European/ British people (yes they are) who have overstayed their tourist or working visas.

I am not aware of a mad influx of Brits trying to 'bed an Aussie' to get pregnant just to stay. Unless you know something I don't?

However, the article raises the very serious issue of a Mother who has been here eight years being forced to leave her four year old behind. That is immoral and frankly I would be disappointed in anybody who supported such a notion.

Couldn't agree more. This is just callous and if the Minister is able to apply discretion then this is one instance where he should have for sure.

That's really sad, it isn't like she moved over just to have a baby with an Australian. She was with the partner and had a partner visa and had a child with the guy. The visa then got cancelled due to the relationship ending. If they deported the mother she should be able to take her daughter but I guess due to laws the father can stop his daughter from leaving. A little common sense and discretion should be used, poor mother and daughter :(

I think the article is deliberately emotive and rather light on in detail.

There is no information on whether she can take her daughter with her or not - it's just implied that she can't. That makes me wonder if the facts of the case might paint a different and less newsworthy picture.

I just wanted to post this as we often see people in the migration section who are pregnant by an Aussie, and when some of us try to point out that this could happen we get people telling us we are wrong, immigration wouldn't make a parent leave bla bla bla. But of course they can and do. If the father wants to keep the child here she could have a tough fight on her hands.

As Freckles said they don't say she is leaving her child and in fact I just something on TV and she definitely is not. They will both be leaving. There was a chance they could maybe stay under the last government however this is a result of the change in government who are a lot tougher on this. Sounds like the father is not having much to do with his daughter and is not even on the scene.

Why hasn't she got PR by now if she had the child with her partner in 2009? In her situation any temp resident should be trying to gain residency if they want to raise the child here or look at alternatives if that's not possible. Scary that this could happen in theory though

Not saying I agree or disagree but what if every illegal immigrant (and not saying the above woman is) was to manage to bed an Aussie and get pregnant? Should they all be allowed to stay?

Sadly it has the potential to be a Pandora's box - unfortunately there are many who would see it as a good way in.

Why hasn't she got PR by now if she had the child with her partner in 2009? In her situation any temp resident should be trying to gain residency if they want to raise the child here or look at alternatives if that's not possible. Scary that this could happen in theory though

They probably split within the two years. Then she has applied for pr, been turned down, taken it to the migration review tribunal etc. It all takes time.

Even if she is getting to take her baby, there are some fathers who would fight this. People need to be very careful having a baby with an Aussie before they have pr.

Archived