Price of meat in England!!

HappyHeart

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can buy a chicken for £4. There's no way I'd buy one though. I'd rather not eat meat if I don't where it's come from, how it's been reared and what kind of life it's had.

Our butcher sells chicken breasts that are the same size as the ones we used to get in Aus. I think it's because they're the full breast rather than just part of it which seems to be what the supermarkets sell.

Just clicked onto the Morrisons website and shocked when I saw rump steak half price 7.74, full price 15.48!! Had forgotten how expensive meat was in the UK, never pay more than $10 a kilo here for rump.....swings and roundabouts!:yes:

That'd be $14.23 at current exchange rate and nearly $30 a kilo at full price! At least the meat is cheap is OZ, even if the lemons aren't:wink:

I nip to Woolworth and coles around 8.15 pm some nights to get the reduced steak and half price hot chickens , also cheap as bread ...only problem is I cant have an early drink but I save so much , even the lamb .....if you can be arsed its well worth it ........plus its quiet .......bread priced at $3 only 80 cents hotcross buns 9 for a $1 , love a bargin ......

The meat might be expensive but the bananas are cheap as owt got 6 for 61p this morning from Tesco!

Got 4 bunches ripening, about 50 kg and will be giving most away, if anyone wants some...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest 47403
Bananas are cheap because they screw the farmers. How can something be that cheap when it comes from the other side of the world.

It was actually 5 bananas so 12.2p each, now sure where they come from tbh but it's not sunny Stratford bit further afield.

It was actually 5 bananas so 12.2p each, now sure where they come from tbh but it's not sunny Stratford bit further afield.

I was reading a bit of info on the fair trade website the other day, tesco is one of the worse apparently.

Thats why I don't get it when people complain about the price of fresh fruit and veg in Aus when a cyclone wipes crops out. They want it imported, say its too expensive. I would certainly hate to see what would happen if prices were even close o the uk prices.

I wish there was sufficient information so I could assure myself the meat I buy isn't halal. Even though I get organic stuff you can't be sure the animal was killed humanely. And halal product is sneaking into other foodstuffs - I have to check yoghurt for halal gelatine now! It seems to be the default method of slaughter. Perhaps I should just go veggo.

Bananas are cheap because they screw the farmers. How can something be that cheap when it comes from the other side of the world.

Once again...

Aah, reminds me of Fyffees exploiting growers in the Cameroons.

BananastoAldi_zps8e42c24f.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest 47403
I wish there was sufficient information so I could assure myself the meat I buy isn't halal. Even though I get organic stuff you can't be sure the animal was killed humanely. And halal product is sneaking into other foodstuffs - I have to check yoghurt for halal gelatine now! It seems to be the default method of slaughter. Perhaps I should just go veggo.

Sure you are still in Oz? Guess you wouldn't have seen the BBC's country file this Sunday, they looked into halal and kosher slaughtering basically far too much gets slaughtered this way and huge amounts are on the market for general sale.

Archived