Conjure up a City embodying all things right about cities, I give you Perth says the NYTimes

Que Sera Sera

I was up in Darwin this week and had a chat with a guy from Portugal. He was taking a few photos and I commented on how nice they've made it round there. I couldn't shut him up for the next ten minutes, going on about how great Darwin and Aus in general was. I mentioned Perth and how nice it is and he was due to visit in the next few weeks. He said he had already heard from others what a great place it is and was looking forward to coming.

No mention of the cost of living, price of a pint, lemons, nothing. Just how much he was enjoying it.:cool:

The guy who wrote is was from New York though so I suppose Perth would be a breath of fresh air. He was probably an uneducated, non arty farty, bogan in disguise though, to even consider liking Perth and then having the temerity to write about it.

I expect our resident Perth basher will be along soon to tell us how it really is and how all the educated people are moving to Melbourne or Europe.:wink:

Like his anti Dubai quote. Thank goodness for that.

Edited by Paul1Perth

The UK is just waking up, so I'll be the first to comment :)

Read it, don't disagree with any of it so if you read it and think wow that sounds amazing then you'll love it!

Me, my toes were curling after the first paragraph & I had to force myself to read on. Kind of reassuring - I sometimes wonder if it was just the bad time I had in Perth that made me...struggling for a word, dislike it? Nope...Unhappy there?....Nope....just not 'get' it. After reading this article I'm a little bit closer to understanding why :)

Perth does have it all....

19 months in and not one weekend have we not had something to do/go too, quite often having to choose between a few different things.

Still discovering new places..

Even just a run of the mill evening is fun. Heading to the beach after work, calling in somewhere for a meal or a drink. Lazing in the garden, listening to music, reading a book.

The icing on the cake, last day of summer today, but still temps are well into the 30s for the foreseeable.

Wish they would stop telling people how good it is though, want to keep it the way it is xx

I do pretty much all the stuff mentioned in the article and love the lifestyle over here. It's a beautiful place.

I'm currently down South in Dunsborough relaxing for the weekend. The weather is amazing!

I get the whole w.a thing. and I do get it ...had 6 very successful years there ....but please don't give me busselton ...dunsborough or Albany ....alright for a couple of days ......would die of boredom now

I really like Perth. In fact the only people I've ever heard bag it out are a vocal handful on this forum.

We have a vacancy in our office there at the moment and I am under siege with people wanting to transfer there. But they are Aussies so what would they know :dull:

Offtopic(soz!),but have you ever read Bill Bryson on Canberra Freckles,and if you have what did you think?

I must admit..not that I'm an expert on city life, nor do I enjoy all it has to offer regularly...but Perth city always has me feeling like I'm in a really awesome place. The vibe is exciting and vibrant and I love the bars and restaurants. The cultural and arty stuff thrills me and the outdoor concerts/performances etc. the Esplanade is a bit tired but still so beautiful....across the river to South Perth and a different feel. I'm pleased the Elizabeth Quay project is happening, it will be the jewel in Perth's crown, what a stunning backdrop to the city. I will never forget how I felt on our first trip in to check out the hospital I was about to start work in..RPH..located in the heart of the city...and immigration. It was such an exhilarating feeling. Loved the place on sight.

:nah: Nope. Did he like it or hate it (never seems to be a middle ground with Canberra lol)

Hated it,well worth a read Down Under tho,really amusing book,he came up with "his" new slogan for it, "Canberra,why wait for death",think a lot of his dislike was because of the planning of the city,how the parks and green space didn't allow for a city feel

Hated it,well worth a read Down Under tho,really amusing book,he came up with "his" new slogan for it, "Canberra,why wait for death",think a lot of his dislike was because of the planning of the city,how the parks and green space didn't allow for a city feel

Well that is kind of the point to the way the city was planned - so it doesn't feel like a city lol

Lots of 'visitors' don't like Canberra. It's one of those places that you really need to live in before you 'get it' and how it works.

[/b]

Well that is kind of the point to the way the city was planned - so it doesn't feel like a city lol

Lots of 'visitors' don't like Canberra. It's one of those places that you really need to live in before you 'get it' and how it works.

Yeah,he goes into detail on the planning,great book btw,be interesting to see what an aussie makes of it