Conjure up a City embodying all things right about cities, I give you Perth says the NYTimes

Que Sera Sera

[/b]

Well that is kind of the point to the way the city was planned - so it doesn't feel like a city lol

Lots of 'visitors' don't like Canberra. It's one of those places that you really need to live in before you 'get it' and how it works.

I too know people shake their heads when talking about Canberra, Aussies and Poms alike.

I would like to see it though, would seem weird living in a country and not seeing the capital. Would you be my guide FF when I visit...please say yes, otherwise I will have to ask Coventry/Wendee or whoever he is at the time:tongue:

I too know people shake their heads when talking about Canberra, Aussies and Poms alike.

I would like to see it though, would seem weird living in a country and not seeing the capital. Would you be my guide FF when I visit...please say yes, otherwise I will have to ask Coventry/Wendee or whoever he is at the time:tongue:

As long as you aren't a closet psycho killing axe murderer in the real world I would be happy to show you around :smile:

Excellent news :laugh: She seems nice from her posts but always good to have a first hand opinion lol

Please don't ask for a reference from The Pom Queen then....

honestly...I was lead astray the night of the Perth meet:cute:

giving away no names...but ...cricket ...those grandma types are the worst...

Hated it,well worth a read Down Under tho,really amusing book,he came up with "his" new slogan for it, "Canberra,why wait for death",think a lot of his dislike was because of the planning of the city,how the parks and green space didn't allow for a city feel

I liked "Down Under" a lot, especially enjoyed the description of the early explorations and flights :yes:. Some parts were hilarious quote " that insect looked like an illustration from Things that will kill you horridly in Australia, volume 19 " :laugh:

[/b]

Well that is kind of the point to the way the city was planned - so it doesn't feel like a city lol

Lots of 'visitors' don't like Canberra. It's one of those places that you really need to live in before you 'get it' and how it works.

Probably because it's so big and spread out. Visitors see the parliamentary triangle and that's about it. I took the people who collected our first horse out on a tour of the non tourist parts a week ago, and even though they have been here many times they had no idea any of it existed. Now they are coming back for a week to see the real ACT. It always happens

Hated it,well worth a read Down Under tho,really amusing book,he came up with "his" new slogan for it, "Canberra,why wait for death",think a lot of his dislike was because of the planning of the city,how the parks and green space didn't allow for a city feel

I've read a few of Bill Brysons books and enjoyed them. Have to look out for the one about Canberra. I have a feeling his and my views on the place would be similar.:wink:

Guest Ptp113
I've read a few of Bill Brysons books and enjoyed them. Have to look out for the one about Canberra. I have a feeling his and my views on the place would be similar.:wink:

Another that visited the Parliamentary Triangle and left. Without a guide and a vehicle visiting Canberra/ACT is pointless

Archived