Prices - what surprised you and shocked you the most?

richselina

I find that clothes are no more expensive here than in the UK when you compare wages. You can go into KMart today and buy tshirts for five bucks and eight bucks and I do not call that dear and they are better quality than Primark.

You can buy a rice cooker in KMart for $14.00 I did a few years ago and its still going strong and they are still selling them cheap.

$17.00 for a toaster for mum last week when hers blew up.

Lets face if you want brand and colour is important you have to pay more, if you just want function things are very cheap. As my mum says there is no reason people cannot be well shod and dressed these days.

Also the op shops are great here. I think because clothes are cheap we buy what we do not really like and chuck it I know I do all the time. Mum is always throwing out shoes she has hardly worn and she pays a good price for hers so lots of bargains for those that need a bargain.

Going to the butchers is cheaper than the supermarket, going to the fruit shop is also cheaper so if we cannot be bothered the supermarkets have a captive audience and will charge what they like.

Services are expensive but that is because people get paid more wages. If we are getting a film star wage, others also want one, usually plumbers and electricians when they come to fix things :laugh:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lemons, they grow them here what gives!

I can't give them away! We've a tree and our garden is constantly littered with them. No way can I use them all myself. Have put them in a box so the neighbours can help themselves but still a large amount go in the bin!

The Cineplex chain in Brisbane, we've been to both the Bulimba and Southbank outlets, are relatively cheap. $8.50 each at peak times (evening and weekends).

Wow! Cinema here I find is very expensive, $18 per adult at the Event cinemas I think.

Cheaper on a Tuesday, but then what if I want to go on another day?!

I only have experience from the few months holidays we have done but I found the following:

More expensive: Tinned food such as beans, deserts such as ice lolly's and ice cream, rentals, second hand cars, flowers (We brought some family a bunch of flowers and ouch to the price), take away, Toys (But we did go Myers looking for a doll so that's probably why).

More cheaper: Meat (Better quality too), Petrol, public transport, a lot more free places to visit, domestic flights (For the distance).

We also found things like eating out similar prices to the UK (If you go to a good place you pay more but you can easily eat out cheaply). Also clothes were about the same price and books.

Obviously things tended to seem more expensive to us due to the bad pound to dollars when we went however we knew the exchange rate was naff the times we went and accounted for that, and also we knew that wages are higher so it is all relative really.

The Cineplex chain in Brisbane, we've been to both the Bulimba and Southbank outlets, are relatively cheap. $8.50 each at peak times (evening and weekends).

Thats why i find it so cheap. There's also one in Hawthorne. Great chain

If you don't moan things will never change, that's why Australia is behind the times in many ways.. But hey pat your self on the back because you don't whing , but shut your eyes on modernisation in other country's

Can you provide examples of where it is behind the times?

My only experience is the lack of 24/7 shopping and that's really not a bad thing to be behind on.

I only have experience from the few months holidays we have done but I found the following:

More expensive: Tinned food such as beans, deserts such as ice lolly's and ice cream, rentals, second hand cars, flowers (We brought some family a bunch of flowers and ouch to the price), take away, Toys (But we did go Myers looking for a doll so that's probably why).

More cheaper: Meat (Better quality too), Petrol, public transport, a lot more free places to visit, domestic flights (For the distance).

We also found things like eating out similar prices to the UK (If you go to a good place you pay more but you can easily eat out cheaply). Also clothes were about the same price and books.

Obviously things tended to seem more expensive to us due to the bad pound to dollars when we went however we knew the exchange rate was naff the times we went and accounted for that, and also we knew that wages are higher so it is all relative really.

So......you were here here for three months......OK......obviously someone who should be listened to.

How cheap do you want things.....I just did a quick search on Coles Online (couldn't be bothered with any of the other supermarkets)

Baked Beans...$0.91

Frozen Beans...$1.94 (1kg)

Ice Cream...2 Litres Cadbury Vanilla $5.00

4 Pack Magnum $6.00

Take Away...can only speak for my local shops

Large (and I mean large) piece of Barramundi and chips (lot of) $7.00

Hamburger with bacon and egg....$5.80

Chinese....again from my local.....family pack (4 dim sims,4 spring rolls,Large special fried rice, 2 mains of your choice except with king prawns) $32.00

Flowers...I can buy a dozen long stemmed roses (60cm) here in Cairns for $30.00

Perhaps you need to spend a little more time here to fully gauge the cost.

Can you provide examples of where it is behind the times?

My only experience is the lack of 24/7 shopping and that's really not a bad thing to be behind on.

There is 24/7 shopping..... Another odd pommy comment

So......you were here here for three months......OK......obviously someone who should be listened to.

How cheap do you want things.....I just did a quick search on Coles Online (couldn't be bothered with any of the other supermarkets)

Baked Beans...$0.91

Frozen Beans...$1.94 (1kg)

Ice Cream...2 Litres Cadbury Vanilla $5.00

4 Pack Magnum $6.00

Take Away...can only speak for my local shops

Large (and I mean large) piece of Barramundi and chips (lot of) $7.00

Hamburger with bacon and egg....$5.80

Chinese....again from my local.....family pack (4 dim sims,4 spring rolls,Large special fried rice, 2 mains of your choice except with king prawns) $32.00

Flowers...I can buy a dozen long stemmed roses (60cm) here in Cairns for $30.00

Perhaps you need to spend a little more time here to fully gauge the cost.

Ah but its not as cheap from the British aisle. God knows why British food is so damn expensive here! Australia is just a rip off :wink::laugh:

Ah but its not as cheap from the British aisle. God knows why British food is so damn expensive here! Australia is just a rip off :wink::laugh:

Start eating some of the local food then. Why come all this way and then go hanging around the Brit Aisle licking your lips and complaining about how expensive it is. LOL:wink::jiggy:

Pretty much nothing is cheaper in Australia outside of petrol. Folk it would appear will happily argue the call, instead of calling it what it is and what many of us are aware it is, a giant rip off.

Who gives a monkey's if it isn't too bad beside London or similar. No comparison. This country has over the decades paid higher wages in many areas and been considerably cheaper in many things if not most than London as well.

To have Swiss visitors come to Perth and complain about how expensive it has become since last visit in 2005 and indeed to home, perhaps the most expensive country in the world, suggests something.

I'm sure if they charged $10 for a lemon some would still defend it.

Archived