SCHOOL FEES 457 visa

Guest guest95482

Pay fees in WA, NSW and ACT (depending on occupation). Anywhere between $4k and $12k (depends on state and yr levels of study). Who knows if and when the other states will see the cash cow. This is for government schools. Private schools will charge between $4k and $20kpa

Thanks. I have four and am looking at Queensland.

[TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Primary School (Prep - Year 7)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$11,008[/TD]

[TD=align: left]1 year[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School (Years 8 - 10)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$12,056[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School (Years 11 - 12)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$13,632[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]International Baccalaureate 1(Years 11 - 12)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$15,578[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]$8,125[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School Preparation $367 a week

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Primary School (Prep - Year 7)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$11,008[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School (Years 8 - 10)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$12,056[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School (Years 11 - 12)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$13,632[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]International Baccalaureate 1(Years 11 - 12)[/TD]

[TD=align: left]$15,578[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]$8,125[/TD]

[TD=align: left]6 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]High School Preparation $367 a week[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I presume those are for private school (as Qld state schools are free)...?

Cheers, I-F :-)

Sorry, I think the posts above may have confused you. Wrussell was quoting fees from a private school.

There are currently no additional fees for non-residents in Queensland. But you should factor the possibility in as the economy is slowing and it is an easy way to raise some cash.

No school is entirely free in Australia. The post above that says they paid $1000 in total in fees for 3 children plus $700 for books in a reasonable guide for "free" state school education in Australia depending on the school and how old your children are - obviously secondary school students have more books than primary school children. On top of that there are uniforms which tend to be a mix of cheap chain store items and items that really need to be bought through the school because of logos.

Yes free schools still cost you, unlike the UK you are expected to pay for equipment, books and also usually library and /or admin fees.

When end they changed the rules in WA they applied it to all 457 visa holders not just new ones. This meant people who had been there for a few years suddenly faced extra charges they had not budgeted for.

It really is something to think about. Can the employer not offer PR from day one? Personally I wouldn't risk bringing a family over on a temp work visa, but it has worked for some.

I am in vic and the three of my kids fees worked out at about $1000 in total for the year x with about $700 for books and everyone pays that regardless of 457 or born here :-)

Hi Loopylou13, I'm curious as to what your fees entail - are they just the 'voluntary' contributions or also incursions / excursions, swimming lessons, etc.? Having spoken to lots of people on this forum, I've budgeted $3k a year for all 3 of my children (aged 4,5,7) - inc. all of the above and school uniforms / shoes. If it's any more than this then we'd have to consider not paying the 'voluntary' bit (cue frowns of disapproval!) ;-)

Can the employer not offer PR from day one? Personally I wouldn't risk bringing a family over on a temp work visa, but it has worked for some.

I'm sure if the OP was able to get PR, they wouldn't be looking at a 457. Afaik, the employer can't grant you PR - you have to apply via the 186 ENS (emp. nom. stream) and go down either the TRT (temp. res. transition) scheme (working for same employer for 2 yrs) or the DE (dir. entry) stream (applying as soon as you land but with a positive skills assessment, 3 yrs' relevant experience, job on CSOL and a 2 yr contract). Both streams require the applicant to be under 50 yrs old (which I'm assuming the OP is). The only 'quick' route to PR (assuming one does not have enough points for the 189) is the 186 ENS Labour Agreement route, but I believe that requires more work on the part of the employer (they have to obtain a strict labour agreement, spend 1% of payroll on training or 2% on an industry fund). Not too sure what the catch is with this one - sounds a bit easy on the part of the applicant as they just need a 2 yr contract and market-rate salary. Perhaps someone can expand on this...?

Having the intention, ourselves, of coming over on a 457 later this year, I have to say it does wind me up when people continually feel the need to point out the risks involved if you have a family. :rolleyes: I think anyone seriously considering this route would be well aware of the potential pitfalls and doesn't need them rubbing in, causing excess worry (or to have one assume they haven't thoroughly researched it and aren't aware of the risks involved). Nobody would choose to come over on a 457 if there was another way to PR, but why should they be destined to staying in the UK just because they don't get enough points to go down the usual 189 route? Whilst some people on a 457 see it as a 4 year sabbatical (our initial intention - but watch this space!) and a chance to try life abroad and then return to the UK with (hopefully) wonderful memories, experiences and culturally-enriched children, a lot of people would see a 457 as a stepping-stone to PR, and thus the risks involved would be deemed temporary - until PR has been granted.

Please don't take offence at my comments :wubclub: - I'm not having a go at you personally, more at the general mindset that assumes people either don't know the risks or have another option available to them. I'm sure your warning was well-intentioned and I notice you pointed out that the 457 has proved successful for some, which is a positive note to end on :-)

I-F :hug:

Edited by ItchyFeet76
typos!

Hi Loopylou13, I'm curious as to what your fees entail - are they just the 'voluntary' contributions or also incursions / excursions, swimming lessons, etc.? Having spoken to lots of people on this forum, I've budgeted $3k a year for all 3 of my children (aged 4,5,7) - inc. all of the above and school uniforms / shoes. If it's any more than this then we'd have to consider not paying the 'voluntary' bit (cue frowns of disapproval!) ;-)

My son's fees including books and all voluntary contributions for Grade 6 were $360. Your budget should be fine as uniforms are not THAT expensive, they are just not Asda-cheap.

Yes no offence taken but I have seen poorly advised people on here who assume that PR is automatic after two years and sadly many for whom the job has not worked out and have had to leave the country before they wanted to.

a lot of people do not realise it is possible to get a PR employer sponsored visa via ENS or RSMS from day one. I know that it is not always possible but worth checking out as it can be nearly as quick these days. It is more expensive but you have to pay for a PR visa at some point if you want to stay.

Hi itchy feet

The secondary school fees include admin costs, laptop insurance and a general charge if $225 (don't know what that is for specifically but it's charged to everyone) if you earn below a certain amount and are entitled to centre link payment you can get some of this covered. On top of that there are voluntary fees for things like student welfare, library books and ground up keep (but it's your choice if you pay them)

My daughters primary school fees this year are $475 this includes a 3 day camp, all stationary, swimming fees and all excursions as well as standard school fees

School uniforms do have a logo so are a little more expensive than asda but I spend nowhere near $3000 on all three of mine so I think you have budgeted well :-)

Pay fees in WA, NSW and ACT (depending on occupation). Anywhere between $4k and $12k (depends on state and yr levels of study). Who knows if and when the other states will see the cash cow. This is for government schools. Private schools will charge between $4k and $20kpa

Not WA - it was going to be brought in but then was withdrawn .....unless that has changed again??

You may have researched it well, and be aware of all the pitfalls, but sadly many don't.... and we end up hearing about it all on here time and time again.

Point taken. I guess I assumed that nobody would make such a huge move without doing oodles of research and running through "worst-case scenarios" in their head, so they have a 'plan b' if the worst happens!:no:

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone pays the same no matter what your visa is but for university I would recommend looking into permanent residency because it is so ridiculously expensive as your kids will be considered international. I didn't like the idea when my mum first suggested it to me as I wanted to remain Scottish but it doesn't change your citizenship and it helps if you want to come back to Aus in the future of you choose to move back to the UK. But books second hand if you can, and check with your chosen school what their uniform policy is as you may be able to get some generic stuff cheaply. Good luck. And if it says 'voluntary' you really on't have to pay it- remember that- but ultimately if no one payed them them the school would have to close. We payed it for so long until it just became too much considering we don't have to pay it and I asked friends who told me they're never payed for school.

Everyone pays the same no matter what your visa is but for university I would recommend looking into permanent residency because it is so ridiculously expensive as your kids will be considered international. I didn't like the idea when my mum first suggested it to me as I wanted to remain Scottish but it doesn't change your citizenship and it helps if you want to come back to Aus in the future of you choose to move back to the UK. But books second hand if you can, and check with your chosen school what their uniform policy is as you may be able to get some generic stuff cheaply. Good luck. And if it says 'voluntary' you really on't have to pay it- remember that- but ultimately if no one payed them them the school would have to close. We payed it for so long until it just became too much considering we don't have to pay it and I asked friends who told me they're never payed for school.

Your post is so very incorrect. It does matter what visa you are on and everyone does not pay the same..... A 457 holder for example (depending on the state) can be liable to pay $4000 at least per child per year. That is why it is advisable to come out on PR.

Voluntary fees are normally around $50 to $300 a year ( spending on the school) and whilst they do not have to be paid, they do represent important funding for state schools.

Edited by Sammy1

Fiona you don't pay for public schools on PR you do for Temp visas it does change depending in visa. Book lists etc are payable on all.

Your post is so very incorrect. It does matter what visa you are on and everyone does not pay the same..... A 457 holder for example (depending on the state) can be liable to pay $4000 at least per child per year. That is why it is advisable to come out on PR.

Voluntary fees are normally around $50 to $300 a year ( spending on the school) and whilst they do not have to be paid, they do represent important funding for state schools.

I really don't want this reply to sound rude because I don't mean it to- but I live in Victoria and my post is actually so very accurate for my situation. We're on a 457 visa and we go to state schools. We don't have to pay any school fees other than voluntary fees which we do and the costs of school classes and uniforms/ excursions ect. I thought I included my state in my original post which would therefore implying I'm just offering information about Victorian school. And again- I really don't want to appear rude or insulting- but I said exactly 8 words about this topic and then gave much more information and advice on other information about Australian school culture in general.

I really don't want this reply to sound rude because I don't mean it to- but I live in Victoria and my post is actually so very accurate for my situation. We're on a 457 visa and we go to state schools. We don't have to pay any school fees other than voluntary fees which we do and the costs of school classes and uniforms/ excursions ect. I thought I included my state in my original post which would therefore implying I'm just offering information about Victorian school. And again- I really don't want to appear rude or insulting- but I said exactly 8 words about this topic and then gave much more information and advice on other information about Australian school culture in general.

A few of us on here have given relevant and accurate information regarding the payment of fees.Not all families can afford $4000 plus a year for each child......

It is therefore really important for the original OP to be aware of the differences across Australia and not just one state and one experience.

Unfortunately it was not stated in your post that you are from Victoria.

Edited by Sammy1

A few of us on here have given relevant and accurate information regarding the payment of fees. It is really important for the original OP to be aware of the differences across Australia and not just one state and one experience.

The original post didn't specify state- and I thought I specified my state, and again, I did talk about other things to do with the school system in my post. I do understand that it's important to give relevant info considering it is such a huge decision to make when moving- which I thought I did, and if I had I don't think we'd be having this argument right now. Goodnight and good luck to the OP on their adventure.