Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Guest Guest226914
i respect your view Sammy but totally disagree. It may be true of NSW but the OP addressed an enquiry to me about Queensland. It may be some time ago but I don't have 4 years of tertiary education, but my PGCE which was not dependant on any amount of years education is quite acceptable here, it is not in fact mandatory at all, if it was then I have been lying to Ed Queensland for the last 14 years after they have made me a curriculum manager, student mentor and on a couple of occasions acting deputy principal, and to quote my friend on other forums Chortlepuss,"In Brisbane who you know not what you know is the rule!"

Whatever your qualification is Go for it!

Perhaps this was the rule 14 years ago? I was aware the rule over the whole of Australia is 4 years at Uni. I have a friend who did a 3 year undergraduate teaching degree who lives in Brisbane and cannot get registered because of the lack of the extra year. She has resorted to working in a bar instead as she came to Australia not fully understanding the rule.

I have copied from the Queensland teaching registration page...

[h=2]Qualifications[/h]The qualifications accepted for teacher registration are successful completion of:

(a) a course of preservice teacher education consisting of at least four years of academic study, including professional studies that are at least one year of academic study;

(b) a graduate course of preservice teacher education consisting of professional studies that are at least one year of academic study; or

© another course of teacher education, provided by a higher education institution, that the College is satisfied is the equivalent of a course mentioned in paragraph (a) or (b).

https://www.qct.edu.au/registration/qualifications.html

Edited by george8181

In QLD, if you qualified prior to 1996 I believe there is some type of waiver for the 3 years n which you can complete other acceptable items to top up the three years. Most degrees were 3 years then in Au. However I am not aware of this option being open to teachers trained outside Australia.

DETE website has a whole pile of information on it if you want to trawl through and dig deeper

Millie

Just to clear up, there is a lot of discussion around a PGCE... The primary education degree is with Qualified teaching status, so it is regarded higher than a PGCE. If this helps, and thank you Paul, you are helping a lot, even if it is your own knowledge. Many Thanks!

Why is it regarded higher than a PGCE that's the first I've heard of it! Aaron I hope it's now cleared up that you require 4 years of HE level study if you wish to register currently in Oz.

Well as I am the original post about this four year tertiary education inquiry to Paul I would like to clarify the following;

Yes you do have to have four years tertiary of study to teach in Australia BUT . .

After receiving a private message directly from Queensland College of Teaching (QCT), they may possibly take into account my four years full time experience.

SO there IS a chance I can teach in Brisbane with only a three year BA ed degree. There is hope.

I am awaiting my skills assessment direct with them now and I will update you all so that you are all aware for future posts that may be similar to my inquiry.

I would like to thank Paul for his input and helpfulness and even though things seemed to have changed since it has only recently been that you need 4 yrs as I applied a few years back before getting pregnant with my first child and it was all ok then.

Thank you to Sammy also as it seems you are correct but it is possible for someone like myself with a three year degree to be accepted as stated by the QCT.

It must just be all on the individual applicant and if the state are happy with that.

Thanks to everyone else who replied also.

Fingers crossed for me and to those who also give a shot, it may be worth it!!

Emma

Hi all!!

I am a primary school teacher, hoping to move to oz this August with my boyfriend whom is relocating with work to Perth.

I am about to begin my TRBWA qualifications assessment form, and I have a query that I was wondering if anyone may know the answer to before I pay my $480..

I began my studies in University studying a Bachelor of Business Studies and French for two years, however soon realised that it wasn't for me, and transferred to a 3 year B.Ed course within the same university. I am wondering whether this will cover me for the four year tertiary degree dilemma?

Here is their requirements:

In order for a teaching qualification to be accredited as an ITEP it must meet the National Program

Standards as outlined in the Accreditation of Initial Teacher Education Programs in Australia: Standards and Procedures (April 2011)

Qualifications in Teaching Recognised as Equivalent to an accredited ITEP

The TRBWA will also accept qualifications in teaching that are equivalent to an accredited ITEP.The Board

will generally recognise a qualification in teaching

as equivalent to an accredited ITEP where it meets at least one of the following four criteria

:

1.A qualification awarded on completion of a higher education course of initial teacher education that

a)is of at least 4 years’ full-time duration or part-time equivalent duration;

b)has at least one year (full-time or part-time equivalent) of professional teacher education subjects (including supervised

teaching practice).

c)includes at least 45 days satisfactory supervised teaching practice undertaken at a primary or secondary school or

other recognised educational venues; and

d)is comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree.

A qualification awarded on completion of a higher education course of initial teacher education that

a)requires entrants to have a higher education qualification of at least 3 years full-time duration or part-time equivalent duration and that is comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree;

b)has at least one year (full-time or part-time equivalent) of professional teacher education subjects (including supervised

teaching practice).

c)is of at least 1 year’s full time duration or part-time equivalent duration;

d)includes at least 45 days satisfactory supervised teaching practice undertaken at a primary or secondary school or other recognised educational venue

And e)is comparable to an Australian Graduate Diploma

Pleeeease someone help me, as I am hoping so very much that my transcripts will suffice.

Thank you so much in advance! V :)

Edited by papillion

The B.Ed was in the same university as the Business degree, so it is all on one transcript. So its almost like a 5 year degree on my transcript. I only completed two of the four years of the Business degree as I transferred then to the B.Ed but I'm sure that has to count for something? It is 5 years of uni exams passed and I studied the french as a major with both, so that remained consistent. Hope I'm not clutching at straws. It would just seem very frustrating to have to go go back and do a sixth year of uni.. I contacted the TRBWA and they said they couldn't advice me until I had sent in documents with the application. It's a tricky one!

Nevertheless four years of tertiary (university) study is now required. This may be a three year undergraduate degree followed by a PGCE or it could be a four year Bachelor of Education. Alternatively, it can also be a three year Bachelor of Education as long as it is topped up with an extra year of university study in a related field.

You are giving the OP the wrong information. It is clearly stated by the Queensland Teaching Registration Board, I suggest you take a look.

Hi Sammy or anyone else who knows,

Do you know what that extra year is? I live is Sydney and have contacted Macquarie Uni who have looked at my 3 year BA Early Education transcripts and have told me I need to do an extra 2 years. I am thinking of asking another uni to find out their response. I did the GTP back in the UK and the best I can get over here is Early Childhood Teacher but really want to get back into school. Worked hard to get that teacher status back in the UK and now feel its wasted. Would love to know if anyone else has bridged this gap.

Thanks,

Roxyroo

Guest Guest226914
Hi Sammy or anyone else who knows,

Do you know what that extra year is? I live is Sydney and have contacted Macquarie Uni who have looked at my 3 year BA Early Education transcripts and have told me I need to do an extra 2 years. I am thinking of asking another uni to find out their response. I did the GTP back in the UK and the best I can get over here is Early Childhood Teacher but really want to get back into school. Worked hard to get that teacher status back in the UK and now feel its wasted. Would love to know if anyone else has bridged this gap.

Thanks,

Roxyroo

Have you tried asking NSWIT? I have a friend who came from UK who couldn't register due to her degree being different from her teaching subject and NSWIT told her exactly which units she needed and which unis offer it etc. Might be worth a try to ask them?

Hello, can you guys give us a rough idea how much my husband would earn in victoria? Is is currently head of science but by the looks of the way the system works over there he will be a standard teacher of physics. He has 9 years teaching experience, and has a PhD in his field, thank you

Hi,

I've just secured a WHV & will be heading out September. Although my qualification is in secondary teaching, I can (here in the UK) and have been teaching Primary (ages 5yrs & under) since qualifying in 2010. I'm interested in continuing to teach this age group when I come to Oz with the view of impressing an employer (wish me luck!) so that they sponsor me. I'm really interested in the QLD area. Any advice? Thanks in Advance.

Hello, can you guys give us a rough idea how much my husband would earn in victoria? Is is currently head of science but by the looks of the way the system works over there he will be a standard teacher of physics. He has 9 years teaching experience, and has a PhD in his field, thank you

in Brisbane would be around 80K - don't know how Victoria differs & not sure what you get extra (if anything) for a doctorate

That wasn't as much as we were hoping, how long does it take to get to the top of the pay scale?

He would be on $95,459 (with nine years experience) if based in WA. Level three teachers (includes portfolio submission) earn over $100,000. Each state is different.

Hi, I'm coming over on a WHV later this year, with the hope of impressing an employer and securing sponsorship/a 457 visa. Although secondary trained, I have been teaching ages 5 and below since qualifying in 2010 and wish to continue teaching this age range once in Oz. Am I right in thinking I can teach Prep with a Secondary PGCE (the same as in the UK). Also any tips as to what areas to target? I'm looking at Cairns, Brisbane at the mo. I've registered with smart teachers so far. PS Anyone got an Australian style teaching cv they could send me? Thanks In Advance x

Hi, I'm coming over on a WHV later this year, with the hope of impressing an employer and securing sponsorship/a 457 visa. Although secondary trained, I have been teaching ages 5 and below since qualifying in 2010 and wish to continue teaching this age range once in Oz. Am I right in thinking I can teach Prep with a Secondary PGCE (the same as in the UK). Also any tips as to what areas to target? I'm looking at Cairns, Brisbane at the mo. I've registered with smart teachers so far. PS Anyone got an Australian style teaching cv they could send me? Thanks In Advance x

Have you registered with AiTSL? without that you can't teach full stop.

Have you registered with AiTSL? without that you can't teach full stop.

That is not necessary whilst on a WHV, what she will need to do is be registered with the teaching registration board in Queensland. They will assess the OP's qualification and determine if she can teach. Securing a job is a whole other matter.

Edited by Sammy1

In Qld you will also need to register with DETE on arrival in QLD. (Registration with QCT takes 3 months so it is wise to do this before you depart UK). This allows you to join the TRACER system for teaching supply work in the state sector. The going rate is between $300 and $450 per day depending upon your teacher rating assigned by DETE. You can obtain a rating via interview after working 20 consecutive days in a state school.

If you opt for supply work in the private sector it pays a little less but once schools get to know you they tend to call regularly. Getting your first post is the hard part.

Good luck

Millie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am currently training to be a teacher in the UK and will gain my QTS in August of this year. Would people advice that I complete my NQT year here as well first? Also what is the set up over there teaching wise, do you have to register with a state? Are there much need for primary teachers, I have a lot of experience before training with ESBD children to add to the equation as well.