Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Three year BA in Music at Leeds College of Music (first class honours) and PGCE secondary music at Manchester Metropolitan. Would that be consistent with the way AITSL assessors like it iyo, Benji?

Qualifications look fine, they don't like GTP and many SCITT's. You need to show transcripts as well as certificates. You have 4 years HE and that's another stipulation. State registration is purely to teach in that state. You would need your 189 visa in the first instance. From reading other threads some people have struggled to obtain registration after gaining a positive AITSL assessment from a state. I can't remember why this is, I just found it strange at the time. I can only presume this is in a very small amount of cases, but checking a States regulations for registration is sensible!

Always happy to reply or be corrected!

Qualifications look fine, they don't like GTP and many SCITT's. You need to show transcripts as well as certificates. You have 4 years HE and that's another stipulation. State registration is purely to teach in that state. You would need your 189 visa in the first instance. From reading other threads some people have struggled to obtain registration after gaining a positive AITSL assessment from a state. I can't remember why this is, I just found it strange at the time. I can only presume this is in a very small amount of cases, but checking a States regulations for registration is sensible!

Always happy to reply or be corrected!

Ah okay, got ya. Thanks, Benji.

I see that you are very recently going through the process. Best of luck to you and I will keep track of your progress posts. Like I say, I need to do my NQT year in the UK first (is that correct btw??) so will not be submitting an EOI until summer 2016. Will probably do AITSL and IELTS summer 2015 (if I pass superior IELTS then I will be submitting an EOI with 80 points).

Benji (or anyone else), would it be possible to post a quick glance numbered list of the steps in the submission process in chronological order and approx time scale e.g.

1. Get skills assessed by AITSL (12 weeks)

2. xxxx

3. xxxx

...etc.

That would be most excellent :)

Edited by Jazzhead

Thanks hopefully I'll be posting positive news soon!

There's a lot of variables to put such dates on things. Depending on where you live etc. You can see from my timeline things are moving on at a good pace, it has taken me 6 months to get to applying for visa stage including AITSL waiting time. I completed two IELTS tests in different locations and they had two different confirmation of result times(2/3 weeks). You need to book in advance and depending where you live you may have to book well in advance, I'm sure time of the year is a factor as well particularly when students are applying for Uni courses.

Currently the processing time for a 189 is 3 months, again this could depend on different circumstances and isn't assured. Like I've said before I'm not sure if you in theory need to complete your NQT, I certainly would if not just to be fully qualified in the UK and have more experience to present to an employer in Oz.

I wouldn't worry about gaining superior IELTS if proficient is enough, I mean I wouldn't be retaking IELTS if I had 70 points. As you can see from my timeline I went straight through EOI with 65. So basically I'm hoping to have a 189, 9 months from sending my initial AITSL assessment!

Wow, that's quite reassuring. I will be applying for just myself so I'm hoping it will be relatively straightforward (relatively being the operative word!). Owing to my personal circumstances - under 40, no kids, never been married, no partner, no criminal record, no major health issues - I don't plan on using a migration agent. I can't really think of any reason why their expertise would benefit a 'vanilla' application such as mine (happy to be corrected on that though). Certainly don't think I could justify the fee in my circumstance.

Will def complete my NQT year in UK and complete AITSL and IELTS in that time so as to be equipped for EOI in summer 2016.

Just hoping that prospects are okay for high school Music teachers over there. Will keep a keen eye on National Curriculum developments! I wonder if my 20 years experience in the workplace prior to teaching might bolster my application? Worked freelance as an audio visual technician for a decade.

Guest Iain Wood

I'm glad this was the last post, saved me going through a lot. I start my training this Autumn but my wife has been an ICU nurse for 3 years so we would be going over with her as first applicant, hopefully on a 457. I was looking to find out about the NQT year to see if it was mandatory and it's interesting that it isn't always. I am also wondering if you can do your NQT year in Australia? I guess there isn't a simple answer but there is a chance we might leave it two years rather than one.

I have a lot of experience with office work so I could pick up other work if teaching is hard to find but obviously it's not what I want to do.

Looking at Melbourne and I will be qualified in secondary Geography.

I am also wondering if you can do your NQT year in Australia? I guess there isn't a simple answer but there is a chance we might leave it two years rather than one

After more research I'm 99% certain UK post grad teachers have to complete their NQT year in UK.

I would ideally be looking at Melbourne too. I lived there for a year in my early twenties and have friends there.

Your NQT is your consolidation of your teacher training and needs to be completed within 5 years is it? I think Australia have something similar, but it's not your NQT. Jazzhead your previous experience won't help with points but could be useful within schools? Funnily enough one of my reading tasks for my IELTS was based on audio technicians!

Seems a good plan to have AITSL and IELTS complete by next summer. Why not?

Guest Iain Wood
After more research I'm 99% certain UK post grad teachers have to complete their NQT year in UK.

I would ideally be looking at Melbourne too. I lived there for a year in my early twenties and have friends there.

I found this on the GTC Scotland site:

[h=2]Completing probation outside Scotland[/h]Some teachers on the Flexible Route choose to complete their probationary period outside Scotland.

Teaching service in other parts of the UK or beyond may be acceptable provided the teaching service is relevant to your teaching qualification and reports are submitted to us on interim and final report forms.

Full registration can only be awarded if you have paid your annual GTC Scotland registration fee and your name appears on the current register.

The number of days that you will need to complete is dependent on your circumstances. Please contact the Professional Learning and Development Department for more specific details.

Guest Iain Wood

Yeah, I would have my PGDE but not have probation. Luckily Mrs Wood is saying we should just stay another year to get me to complete it which would obviously be the best option for trying to get a job out there. She keeps changing her mind about going (just now she is 'in') but I worry that will change again if we are here for another year.

Okay. I only ask as I've heard it said on here that only the PGCE, strictly, is recognised by AITSL. Do they recognise the Scottish equivalent then? I know that Schools Direct/SCITT graduates are not recognised. Again, pardon my ignorance regarding North of the border quals!

Guest Iain Wood

From what our lecturer told us, the Scottish teaching qualification is more transferable across the world than the English - maybe because our under-grad degrees are 4 years. PGDE is just what our PGCE is called here (Diploma rather than Certificate)

Guest Guest226914

You dont need need to have completed NQT to be able to teach in Australia

Ah okay, got ya. Thanks, Benji.

I see that you are very recently going through the process. Best of luck to you and I will keep track of your progress posts. Like I say, I need to do my NQT year in the UK first (is that correct btw??) so will not be submitting an EOI until summer 2016. Will probably do AITSL and IELTS summer 2015 (if I pass superior IELTS then I will be submitting an EOI with 80 points).

Benji (or anyone else), would it be possible to post a quick glance numbered list of the steps in the submission process in chronological order and approx time scale e.g.

1. Get skills assessed by AITSL (12 weeks)

2. xxxx

3. xxxx

...etc.

That would be most excellent :)

Guest Guest226914

There is no time limit for starting or completing NQT. The 5 year rule was abolished a few years back.

Your NQT is your consolidation of your teacher training and needs to be completed within 5 years is it? I think Australia have something similar, but it's not your NQT. Jazzhead your previous experience won't help with points but could be useful within schools? Funnily enough one of my reading tasks for my IELTS was based on audio technicians!

Seems a good plan to have AITSL and IELTS complete by next summer. Why not?

Excerpt from this source: http://newteachers.tes.co.uk/news/guide-new-induction-rules/46335

'Overseas induction - Another significant change is the ability to complete induction in some British schools overseas. Under the previous guidelines it was possible to serve induction in a small number of forces overseas schools, but from September 1 2012, induction can be served in a British School overseas, provided it's a member of a DfE accredited association and has had a satisfactory or better inspection within the last four years.'

I would say that this implies that one would not be able to undertake NQT induction in an Australian school.

Guest Guest226914
Oh okay. I'm guessing that the reality is that securing a visa and/or job without it would be pretty nigh on impossible though. Would you say that's a fair assumption?

I would say you can find a job without completing NQT but I can't comment on whether it would affect a visa application as I went down the partner visa route but I came to oz without completing NQT and it was not a problem. Most schools don't even know what NqT is!

Guest Guest226914
Can you help Iain Wood out here? Could he do the equivalent of his NQT in Oz?

No you can't do NQT in oz. You will have to complete the states version of it to get full accreditation/registration but it is nowhere near as hard and it applies to everyone new to teaching in Australia.

Guest Guest226914

Just a word of warning...in most states I think that your degree has to be related to what you teach. Eg I'm a maths teacher and I have a maths degree. I know people who haven't been able to register with the state because their degree is completely different to their subject they want to teach. This is definitely the case in NSW.

Just a word of warning...in most states I think that your degree has to be related to what you teach. Eg I'm a maths teacher and I have a maths degree. I know people who haven't been able to register with the state because their degree is completely different to their subject they want to teach. This is definitely the case in NSW.

NSW is the exception. Other states more flexible re degree studied. Also other states rego transferable to anywhere except NSW