Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

On another note. I thought I would share with the Teachers that after landing on the Wednesday. I interviewed for a position on the Friday. Was offered the job on the Monday. It's a great job and when considering I expected a step backwards I have actually secured something far more challenging in a top private school. British experience was important. Lots of changes here, curriculum, observations, judgements, inspections, reporting. Experience in these areas may help in the right role.

I had to work for it. But it can be done.

congrats another success story. three days wasn't too difficult at all then? Let's hope they don't go too far down the UK Road of over testing and over stressing the teachers or the kids

Edited by wolvesaussie

Yeah it went well.

I I was pretty tired for the interview. Also I couldn't sleep cos I knew it was such an opportunity. Therefore it knocked my jetlag a bit. Made it worse for a few days. Absolutely worth it though!

Its a great job in a great school

The first 30 minutes was literally going through my resume. Needed to fully explain hierarchy and technical terms that I had used. This is key for anyone applying I think. Make sure you explain/compare. It was a key part of my interview. :-)

Hello...new to this thread.

My husband is a secondary school science teacher (physics speciality) and we are nearing the end of our 189 visa completion, with just our medicals to go on the weekend.

We are looking to go to QLD, hopefully somewhere around the Gold Coast region. I know of smart teachers and Hays for recruitment, but if any one else has any other information it would be great. Ideally he would like to start in January for the new start of term, but how much of a realisation is that or is it not going to happen that quickly?

Hello...new to this thread.

My husband is a secondary school science teacher (physics speciality) and we are nearing the end of our 189 visa completion, with just our medicals to go on the weekend.

We are looking to go to QLD, hopefully somewhere around the Gold Coast region. I know of smart teachers and Hays for recruitment, but if any one else has any other information it would be great. Ideally he would like to start in January for the new start of term, but how much of a realisation is that or is it not going to happen that quickly?

Hey Telle,

Have you registered with QCT? (Queensland College of Teachers), if not it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggges for them to process your application and they require lots of certified documents/transcripts etc. The Queensland way I was told - nothing gets done quick up here. Without that you can't even be in a classroom. I'm physics too and they're screaming for maths and physics - plenty of work in and around Cairns if you fancy living in the tropics! If you get moving now you could be ready for January (the physics thing is a huge bonus), get appointed with a school and they can hussle things along - plus they'll pay you from the start of Jan but you won't start until near the end of Jan - bonus again. Cover/supply work is hard to come by but once they get to know you you work your way up the list and get lots.

Sounds like history repeating - I was in the same spot last year (but had got an appointment) and JUST got things sorted to start in Jan.

QCT!!!

Good luck - you'll love it,

Stokie

Be gentle with me as new to the forum, and the whole moving to Australia, as my husband got the job and is moving out with me and three kids. Its all happened so quick.

I am a fully qualified early years teacher who has had a gap from teaching of nearly 8 years as I have stayed at home with my children. I am struggling to get my Aitsl accreditation after my university lost my PGCE transcripts and the Aitsl are not taking into account my three years working in early years. Not much I can do, so i'll not dwell. My atisl accreditation was not needed for visa as husband had enough points to apply for 189visa. Anyway I am now wondering if I'll be able to work at all in NSW. I have worked supply in UK this year and have really enjoyed it, so was wondering/planning on doing the same in Australia. For interest I have a early years degree and then a PGCE.

Thanks

Be gentle with me as new to the forum, and the whole moving to Australia, as my husband got the job and is moving out with me and three kids. Its all happened so quick.

I am a fully qualified early years teacher who has had a gap from teaching of nearly 8 years as I have stayed at home with my children. I am struggling to get my Aitsl accreditation after my university lost my PGCE transcripts and the Aitsl are not taking into account my three years working in early years. Not much I can do, so i'll not dwell. My atisl accreditation was not needed for visa as husband had enough points to apply for 189visa. Anyway I am now wondering if I'll be able to work at all in NSW. I have worked supply in UK this year and have really enjoyed it, so was wondering/planning on doing the same in Australia. For interest I have a early years degree and then a PGCE.

Thanks

You seem to meet the four years of university study requirement and you have a PGCE (rather than GTS)so that is positive.

You will definitely need your university to find/provide the transcripts before you can register with a teaching board anywhere in Australia. You will need to provide a number of documents including ones that show you did a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching during your PGCE.

You will not be able to teach until you register with the teaching board in your state and you will not be able to register until you have all of the necessary documents. NSW are particularly stringent with unit requirements and so I would advise you to start collecting documents now.

Thanks for the reply Sammy1. Not much I can do about the PGCE transcript as that is lost. The university have been great though writing letter referring to the UK teaching standards explaining that to pass and receive certificates from them and the department for education( QTS status and inducation) I was required to complete and pass 50% course time in teaching practices and complete modules on curriculum etc, all stuff that I had completed in my degree as well. I have had my qualification recognised (and have certificates) from both Scotland and England. I have all the documentation that I need except the transcipt for the PGCE but have the transcipts for the degree. I might just send the stuff off and see, if not perhaps time to revisit my 2nd choice career or go back to uni. I just always loved teaching and after years of researching education, i was really looking forward to working in a system that on paper I fully believe in.

Thanks for the reply Sammy1. Not much I can do about the PGCE transcript as that is lost. The university have been great though writing letter referring to the UK teaching standards explaining that to pass and receive certificates from them and the department for education( QTS status and inducation) I was required to complete and pass 50% course time in teaching practices and complete modules on curriculum etc, all stuff that I had completed in my degree as well. I have had my qualification recognised (and have certificates) from both Scotland and England. I have all the documentation that I need except the transcipt for the PGCE but have the transcipts for the degree. I might just send the stuff off and see, if not perhaps time to revisit my 2nd choice career or go back to uni. I just always loved teaching and after years of researching education, i was really looking forward to working in a system that on paper I fully believe in.

Make sure that the university has detailed (in the letter) the fact that you have a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching during your course - that part is crucial.

Good luck

Anyone had to do a masters in order to complete the requirments to work as a teacher in Oz? We've just had skills assessment back and we've been told thats what my husband needs to do. kinda shocked migration agent didnt pick up on this 9months ago. But we were considering my husband doing it in oz on a student visa. anyone done this???? Sarah

Anyone had to do a masters in order to complete the requirments to work as a teacher in Oz? We've just had skills assessment back and we've been told thats what my husband needs to do. kinda shocked migration agent didnt pick up on this 9months ago. But we were considering my husband doing it in oz on a student visa. anyone done this???? Sarah

Your husband would pay huge fees here as an international student. Cheaper to do it in the UK. I am guessing he does not have the four years of required tertiary education?

The migration agent certainly should have been aware of the necessary qualifications needed.

Your husband would pay huge fees here as an international student. Cheaper to do it in the UK. I am guessing he does not have the four years of required tertiary education?

The migration agent certainly should have been aware of the necessary qualifications needed.

Hiya, thank you for your reply. He did a 3 year BA in education. 14 years ago. hes a deputy head now. the skills assessment said he has all the experience but lacks the final year of education. Do u know the costs of a masters in Oz? We can't believe the agent didnt realise this before he submitted our application.

Sarah

Hiya, thank you for your reply. He did a 3 year BA in education. 14 years ago. hes a deputy head now. the skills assessment said he has all the experience but lacks the final year of education. Do u know the costs of a masters in Oz? We can't believe the agent didnt realise this before he submitted our application.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

After extensive research I find myself in the same position as your husband. I too did a 3 year BA and achieved my QTS that way. I just miss that illusive 4th year!

Did the Aitsl assessment definitely say studying for a masters would be acceptable? I've contacted them but I'm yet to hear a reply.

I would be interested to hear other people's experience on this, I know some Universities offer Masters in Education but should use choose to only study 60 or 120 credits instead of the full 180 for a Masters you can be certified with a Post Grad Cert or a Post Grad Diploma.

Just wondering if I can speed up the process (and save money) by only studying for a partial Masters, to achieve my 4th year.

Does anyone have the answer?

Bec

I'm no expert, but I did a 3 year BA degree then a one year PGCE (classed as having 60 credits towards a Masters) and that was enough for me to be approved. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, just noticed your post on this thread. I just joined this site today and am looking for information about what I can do before my partner and I move out to Australia. My partner is the main applicant for the visa and I will be joining as a spouse - however I wondered what I can do from this side? I have already been searching for jobs and uploaded CVs/registered interest with a few different sites. Mainly, I'm wondering about the process of getting my teaching qualification recognised in Australia.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly received - all going well we should be out early 2015 for the start of the new school year!

Hi Paul, just noticed your post on this thread. I just joined this site today and am looking for information about what I can do before my partner and I move out to Australia. My partner is the main applicant for the visa and I will be joining as a spouse - however I wondered what I can do from this side? I have already been searching for jobs and uploaded CVs/registered interest with a few different sites. Mainly, I'm wondering about the process of getting my teaching qualification recognised in Australia.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly received - all going well we should be out early 2015 for the start of the new school year!

Hello Kirsteen,

Your qualifications check out okay I think. I have the same. I would kick start the process now though from the UK as the turnaround can take some time. Whereabouts are you heading for?

Paul

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, but have read this particular thread with interest, and I thought I'd give you my thoughts and insights to some of the posters' questions. I'm a Primary School Senior Teacher in rural WA and have been here for over 10 years.

Firstly, Sammy1 gives some good advice on the situation in WA. Things are changing considerable, and I think teachers need to be aware of this. From 2015 schools are going to be run with a one line budget, this has massive implications for some schools. Many schools will have reduced funding, meaning there will be staff reductions. Year 7's are going to high school as already been stated, meaning less students and less staff. That doesn't mean it will be Upper Primary will go, as everyone in WA schools are trained from 1-7, so theoretically it can be anyone.

The part that may well concern prospective teachers are what happens to those teachers that are no longer required. They may want to stay in primary education and will go into one of the pools that operate in WA, redeployment ( teachers that are permanent but are not attached to a school), fixed ( teachers that are not permanent) and graduate ( teachers with less than 2 years experience. Redeployees can preference over everybody in the system, as the department want to assign them to a school as quickly as possible, and not have then as a supernumero (term for permanent teacher with no school). They will be expected to take a fixed term position if no permanent position exists, which is highly likely. that means more fixed term teachers chasing less fixed term jobs.

The option for primary teachers is to do the SWITCH program that will allow them to teach up to Year 10 at high school. Some schools, especially remote and rural,are allowing primary teachers to do the program next year on the job, as they cannot get the staff to fill the positions. This may be an option for some of you that are high school Maths and Science teachers, other learning areas less so, as there appears an abundance of teachers for Phys Ed, English etc.

Be aware that teaching in the bush can be tough, communities can be small and insular, and especially 'up north' the heat and humidity can be extremely oppressive. Permanent teaching positions are a premium in the South-West and locations like Margaret River, Busselton etc are virtually impossible. Fixed term positions are more likely but are usually 6 months to 1 year. You have to decide whether or not a one year contract is time enough for you to make a change.

If you can get a permanent position in a great location then fantastic, but realistically in WA, it's more likely that you'll get a permanent position in a rural location or a fixe term position, ranging from 2 to 5 days in a metro school.

Be prepared to do relief, get yourself known, go at the drop of a hat to a school, as that's what the relief coordinator wants, the principal is usually too busy to be concerned about who's doing relief as long as somebody is in front of the class!

Hope this helps and good luck to all of you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.

I am not a teacher yet, but will be on completion of my Post Grad. I never had a desire to move to Oz before, but lately am more and more drawn to it and so am researching the hell outta everything :)

So far, I've passed the points thingy, looked at jobs on various sites and drooled over one in Byron Bay! lol I've looked at housing and now am researching regional sponsorship route as opposed to the 189 visa.

Any and all advice would be welcome

Hey.

I am not a teacher yet, but will be on completion of my Post Grad. I never had a desire to move to Oz before, but lately am more and more drawn to it and so am researching the hell outta everything :)

So far, I've passed the points thingy, looked at jobs on various sites and drooled over one in Byron Bay! lol I've looked at housing and now am researching regional sponsorship route as opposed to the 189 visa.

Any and all advice would be welcome

First of all, what is your teaching specialty? Primary or secondary? If secondary, what area?

It really does make a huge difference.