Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

I do not believe that they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of gender when awarding visas.

However, yes there is a lack of male teachers in the primary education teaching sector. Having said that, there are far more male Principals than females.

So it's definitely advantageous in the jobs market then.

Thanks Sammy and wolvesaussie. I have a feeling I might miss the boat to start in January. Fingers crossed there will be posts available for term two or three. I am a maths teacher but unfortunately not male!

I wouldn't worry. As a maths teacher you will always be in demand.

You can try applying, but most advertisements for teaching positions stipulate that you must have the right to live and work in Australia.

Jobs for the next year are mainly advertised between June and September, with most being filled by October. However, if you are a maths or science teacher, then you may still be able to pick up something.

Remember that you must also be registered with the TRB in the state that you wish to teach, this can also take a number of weeks.

Hi - just a question. Have you tried applying on the 189 yet? My hubby is a primary school teacher and we were told that we most likely wouldn't be able to apply on the 189 because Primary teacher is not on the SOL. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Has anyone heard of an agency called Teaching Australia? They are based in London and although they aren't a migration agent they seem to have the MARA logo on one of their pages but I can't find them registered on the MARA website. We have already paid them some fees but we're now a bit concerned at the idea that they may not be all they say they are. I'm hoping that someone out there in this forum will have heard of them or have used them - or at least know someone who may have used them. Any help you can throw our way would be grand. We're just worried that we've wasted all this money and several months and nothing is going to come of it.

Thanks!

It's a middle man by the looks of it. A recruitment company that will happily advise you on what you need to do to get to Oz but aren't actually MARA registered agents. Claiming to recruit 1000's of teachers each year to Oz? Sorry not very believable to me.

I would avoid Teaching Australia based on this thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/234781-immigration-advisory-service-have-they-gone-bust.html (they're linked with Immigration Advisory Service on page 3 of the thread)

Thanks MaggieMay24 - I was looking for something specific about them on this site so thanks for pointing that out. I can't believe we've wasted 6 months and £1200 - but I'm not letting them get away with this - not by a long shot.

At the planning stage at the moment-

Did you decide where you'd like to be based and apply for jobs there or were you flexible and let job offers lead the way?

I'm hearing our plan to locate in Perth/Sydney/Melbourne or their suburbs may be a bit idealistic in terms of finding work as a teacher.

I have 5 years experience teaching English, a Masters in Teaching and TEFL. Hoping that helps.

Can any maths teachers shed some light on the situation regarding eligibility to teach certain levels of maths - for example, extension 1 and 2.

This comes up in job adverts and I am wondering with my BSc in Mathematics and PGDE would I be able to teach these, as i would like to write so on any application forms, or do I need to have prior verification of my qualifications before I can put this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh, that's a very good question macca10 - I hadn't thought of that. I've got the same qualifications as you and having been teaching Advanced Higher Maths & Stats I assumed I'd be okay to teach all the levels in Oz, but maybe not. Hope you don't mind if I eagerly monitor any responses you get!

Guest Guest226914
Can any maths teachers shed some light on the situation regarding eligibility to teach certain levels of maths - for example, extension 1 and 2.

This comes up in job adverts and I am wondering with my BSc in Mathematics and PGDE would I be able to teach these, as i would like to write so on any application forms, or do I need to have prior verification of my qualifications before I can put this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm a maths teacher in Sydney with BSc Mathematics + PGCE and I can teach extension 1 and 2 so I'm sure the same would apply to you.

You will need your approval to teach in order to be able to teach them but with a degree in maths I don't see any reason why they would not approve you based on your degree.

Edited by george8181

At the planning stage at the moment-

Did you decide where you'd like to be based and apply for jobs there or were you flexible and let job offers lead the way?

I'm hearing our plan to locate in Perth/Sydney/Melbourne or their suburbs may be a bit idealistic in terms of finding work as a teacher.

I have 5 years experience teaching English, a Masters in Teaching and TEFL. Hoping that helps.

The way we did it, is I got a job in Melbourne first from UK, then we came over and my wife (the teacher) looked for any work within an hour and a half distance of mine.

You need to decide on your state first as you need to register to teach in that state. but defo don't pick a suburb... go where the jobs are..

Guest Guest226914
Thanks george8181. When you mention the approval to teach, do you mean registration with the state teaching board?

Well for NSW you need to register with the NSW institute of teachers (now called Bostes) and then obtain approval to teach from Department of Education.

Guest Guest226914
Our fantastic UK teachers need to be approved in Australia? Lol. Sorry

Unfortunately yes. Everyone needs to be approved and it is not a fun process!

Unfortunately yes. Everyone needs to be approved and it is not a fun process!

@george8181 Thanks for all the information. Can the process to register be started from the UK or do I need to wait until I land? I am planning to hopefully arrive with my family at the end of the year and presume that the relevant authorities will be on holiday and so had hoped to have my registration done! Do you think this is possible?

Hi janlo, thanks for your reply. In no way was I suggesting that UK teachers shouldn't have to seek approval to teach in Oz... I've already had my WATRB registration granted (george8181 - you're absolutely right, it wasn't a fun process at all). I was querying whether there was another form of registration which I've yet to learn about, perhaps along the lines of what george8181 has today referenced about the Department of Education. I understand that each state is different but I haven't heard of this for WA and was simply asking for clarification on here, as I consider you all to be such a fantastic source of knowledge. I have been teaching for over ten years and am head of large department, but still respect the fact that I have to prove my skills and experience to the country I hope to settle in...

Edited by chatterbox

macca10 - I can offer advice re registration in WA if you need it, but clueless about the other states, sorry.

Thanks for the offer @chatterbox but I am looking to move to Sydney or Adelaide as I have friends in both places who are willing to help us settle in as we have no family there.