Fifo?

Que Sera Sera

So the OH has started with a new company after being offered a job whist working for another company. He was happy in the old company but found the work was very monotonous. After much soul searching and an initial drop in salary while he was training he has now been been given his first placement up on Barrow Island on the Gorgon Project, He is on s horrible swing 26 on 9 days off but the money is frankly ridiculous. He can stay as long as he likes if he really doesn't like it he is free to come back, so we've decided to suck it and see. Is anyone else a fifo widow or are a fifo worker? How have you found it.

I work FIFO up in the Pilbara on a 3 weeks on, 1 week off roster and hate it. The money is good on paper but when you are working an 80+ hour week in isolated dusty conditions away from family, friends etc it doesn't seem worth it in my experience.

In your husbands situation given that if he doesn't like it he can come back. That is a good situation to be in as most people doing FIFO don't have that option. I'm sticking it out for another few months then trying hard to get a Perth based role.

Guest Guest16631

......come from a FIFO......family.....

......and OH is FIFO.......just get used to it I guess.....

......got its plus and negatives.......

.......you can do more on the off week/ weeks.....

.......you have to be very independent.....!

........best of luck.....!

I have done FIFO for too long. Currently international to Africa on a 5:3 (weeks)

It takes some getting used to and is not for everyone. There is good reason why FIFO couples have a huge divorce rate - and it's not usually from the wife at home straying!

Barrow is one I would not want to do. I know a number of guys that are there or have been and it is universally hated. It's nickname is alkertraz.

There is a good support group for FIFO wives called FIFO Families and they have regular meets and things. Worth googling.

As Weegie says, the money can seem pretty good. But when it's worked out per hour it's not that good. It's just you are doing 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

I have little choice given my profession. Though I am now thinking about ways out of it.

Do you need the money QSS? If its needed for whatever reason then we do what we need to do and I applaud anybody that does this to keep afloat.

If it was a difference between OH being at home every night and a few more dollars then No..for us it wouldn't be worth it.

That's a long time on your own QSS...

Hubby's new civilian job is rotation but obviously I will still be in the UK but his is UK wide/Global. His first rotation will be something like 4 on 1 off. It doesn't bother me and I am used to it and the money is double what he is on now and less risk for him.

Are you used to him being away? I know it can get lonely for me sometimes and I am so am sure there will be times when you feel lonely but it depends on what kind of person you are I think. I've had to be really independent since we got married at 18 and I think those types of people do really well. Lots of Army wives I know really struggle because they are no good on their own (probably not a good idea to marry a Soldier lol) xx

Thanks everyone. I am used to being on my own he's done permanent nights for years and long hours at that. IF he can cope with it ( I know I'll be OK I was a single parent for four years) it would mean that we could pay our mortgage off in two years. So a massive reason but if either of us are unhappy then no we'll pull out, but I think we should give it a go, the what ifs again :biggrin:

2 years really isn't a long time either. Some of my friends think I'm mad letting him have a job where he's away again but to be honest if he had a 9-5 I would probably want to kill him some weeks haha.

Also more money for less risk did it for him, being able to save a lot more for Australia.... still have our holidays there until we get there ;) and pay for the ridiculous amount of childcare I need for Uni lol xxx

Hey q sera.

what does the hubby do?

26 days on 9 off? Personally I would LOVE that shift!

done lots of work over in the uk, 12+ hours, 19 days on 2 off. That's not much fun!

if he needs a replacement on barrow island I would be happy to help out :biggrin:

Just an update . OH has been on a course with others that have been to Barrow and they say it's not too bad and aren't too upset to be going back up there. OH spoke with his Boss and he's "only going to be doing 10 hour days not 12 and he gets 1 day off every two weeks. There are two swimming pools lots of gyms, Foxtel and Aircon in all rooms so we will just have to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all good so far. OH arrived at Barrow yesterday. He's got a lovely brand new clean air conditioned rooms with big TV with Foxtel and free WiFi. There are 3 Gyms, 3 Pubs, 2 Swimming Pools, a cricket pitch, A footie pitch, tennis courts etc etc. He said the canteen is brilliant loiads of choice and really nice. So far so good.

He said the canteen is brilliant loiads of choice and really nice.

Tell him to have some healthy meals and watch the portion control. FIFO is great for piling on the kgs if he's not careful and doesn't make use of the recreational facilities (and I don't mean the pubs!)

a good friend of mine was doing similar swings in pt hedland..while he said it was great in terms of money it was difficult on his OH and the kids..he said the single lads were fine, but yeah was definitely tough with a family unit or partner at home..

That's a long swing QSS. Your hubby will be ready for a break that's for sure. My son does 7 on 7 off and a lot of his mates who are on longer swings always ask him how he managed to get that job. He's been thinking about getting a job with FMG though as he has a few contacts there. It's a lot better money but I think it means going to a 3 x 1. Tough call for him as he's on good money now.

Well one week down and alls good so far. OH rings every night he rang yesterday and I called for our 12 year old son to come talk to his Father. He gets off the computer and went looking for him :laugh: He'd completely forgot he wasn't here. He's always worked nights so we've both been used to him either not being around or asleep. I've missed him this weekend but its not been too bad. I've thrown myself into diet and fitness and have list half a stone this week, I've quit drinking while he's away and am saving myself so we can go mad in his 9 days home. For His part he's not finding it too bad. He said the canteen has lits of healthy option meals so he's been following those . he now has two work friends who have moved up with him so he has company. He's been hitting the Gym and the swimming pool and is going to be doing five a side soccer this week.The work he finds new and interesting but very drawn out. Lots of paperwork and health and safety before he vpcan start anything. They are in the middle of a nature reserve so he's seen lots of bandicoots. They let them have bikes to cycle outside on their half days off to have a good look around the Island. He's on Cyclone watch this week so this week could get interesting.

Anyway one week in and its all going well so far. Early days but positive so far. P.S my shopping bill is so small this week and my washing pile :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well he's home in 3 days so 23 days down. His Boss has put his name forward for promotion. He's loving the actual work and has learnt lots of new things ( all good for the CV!) We said we'd take it one swing at a time. We are both happy for him to continue at the moment. Me well yes I've missed him our son is not too bad but looking forward to seeing him. Because of OH's work I've always been the constant for him and my work allows for me to pretty much always be around for him so he's not noticed much change tbh. Whoever said the moneys not that good have clearly not got the full facts for a skilled person on his type of swing anyway. He's not in a mine its all overground pipes etc so not bad work conditions although the heat is bad however all the living dining relaxing areas are perminantly airconned. Can't wait for our 9 days now we are going to have such a blast .So far so good :cool:

• 6 months later...

I work offshore out of Dampier or Darwin, FIFO to Sydney, 5 weeks on/ 5 weeks off, it's all ever known and wouldn't swap it for a 9-5 for all the tea in china. Although, seriously starting to think about moving to Perth to cut down on travel time.

Archived