Dogs names ....

Love Shoes

Reading through another thread and someone mentioned people with strangely named dogs, like Tyson and Kong, wondering why do people give their dogs strange names .....

whats your dogs name ? Ours is a boring traditional name, no Kong or Tyson here ..... Do you think it's fair to give dogs funny names ..... Mind though some parents these days give their children strange names ..... :wink:

Duke and Suzi are my 2. Both named after motorbikes!!

Parents should think about their kids future when naming them. Cody and Riley are both nice names which are normal and spelt in the correct way. Having worked in a school I have come across Jaxxon, Mavryk, Jazmyn etc etc. It's ridiculous and not fair on the child.

Exactly. It must get very boring having to spend your life spelling your name to everyone.

Parents should think about their kids future when naming them. Cody and Riley are both nice names which are normal and spelt in the correct way. Having worked in a school I have come across Jaxxon, Mavryk, Jazmyn etc etc. It's ridiculous and not fair on the child.

I am probably one of those ridiculously unfair mothers then..:wink:

I like Leon for a name, human or canine :smile:

CS My daughters name is Ricci..its pronounced 'ree-shee' as in 'Nina Ricci' the perfume or maybe Christina Ricci but she gets 'ricky' 'richy' (wtf??) and 'ri-shy'... Suppose we all pronounce those names differently.Think it's French, would never ever spell it Reeshee though....nope.

Our cavaliers had quite boring names, Bonnie, Sooty, Honey and Ted. However the local landlord has an Alsatian called Deefer. As in D-for-dog. My niece has a beagle called Benson and she didn't quite get it when I asked if he came from a testing facility and there was another in the litter called 'And Hedges'.

Perversely my neighbour had a dog called Holly when she was younger and she named her daughter after the dog!!

I am probably one of those ridiculously unfair mothers then..:wink:

I don't mean to offend but I do think it's unfair. A child has to go through school and then the workplace with that identity and it's hard enough finding your place in the world without standing out with an unusual name or name that isn't spelt in the 'normal' way. I feel it shows a 'look at me' attitude of the parent. You can spot them a mile off in school. I obviously don't know you so my opinions are based on people I do know and are just that, my opinions.

I don't mean to offend but I do think it's unfair. A child has to go through school and then the workplace with that identity and it's hard enough finding your place in the world without standing out with an unusual name or name that isn't spelt in the 'normal' way. I feel it shows a 'look at me' attitude of the parent. You can spot them a mile off in school. I obviously don't know you so my opinions are based on people I do know and are just that, my opinions.

No offence taken Northernbird, like you say you don't know me personally. Some people have strong opinions which is fair enough, I don't always like them but certainly not offended :wink:

I'm not a 'look at me' person (just for the record), I am just Jodi, I don't aim to please others :smile: I named my kids because I like their names, just a reflection on our likes I guess like anything else, our clothes, our hairstyle, the wedding dress we choose etc...people often choose names on whether they like them, I wouldn't call them a name i didnt like.

I'm not offended and please don't think my response was me spitting my dummy out :hug:

My dog is called Clipper, pedigree name is Jazacia Clipper Victor. His litter was named for famous aeroplanes, the Clipper Victor being the first 747 in service. There's a few Clippers getting around here now, people seem to like the name.

My dad always said if you're going to name anything, stand at the back door and shout it and see if you feel like an idiot. Our last dog came from the kennels named Funky. We changed it to Bob.

My dog is called Raleigh and a lot of people think he's called 'Riley' lol.

The kitties were called Leon and Ophelia (Phee for short). We also had 9 rats called Angus, Finch, Marley, Percival, Kingsley, Cyril, Hamish, Rupert and Seamus :)

I called one of the pups we kept Eggnog, she was 8 weeks on xmas eve so it sort of suited. My own have boring names, Maisy and Rowney, but obviously we nickname them a bit. I groom and the weirdest name I've heard so far is Jemima Puddleduck.

Archived