How was your Christmas Day?

Lindor

Reading some of the posts a few days before 'the day' I found it interesting to see how people spent their Christmas. What did you do and did you spend it with people other than close family?

I had a champagne breakfast on the riverside with my OH, stepchildren and OHs nephew and it was lovely. Then, just so I could say that I had been to the beach on Christmas Day, off we went! We were there less than an hour and despite my factor 30, I burned my shoulder and have a pink face and chest! The helicopter came and hovered near us then the shark siren went off! I had my very first Christmas Day ice cream then went home to get ready for Christmas dinner with friends and OHs family. I had my own batch of roast taties and yorkshires done in vegetable oil and veggie gravy! Then we went home and I FaceTimed my lovely girls and had a drink 'with' my daughter, it was lovely to see them.

So, despite my worries that I would have a thoroughly miserable first Christmas in Australia, away from my family and a few wobbles when I filled up occasionally, I had a lovely day!

I hope you all had a lovely day too and I would like to thank you for the hugs and kind words you've given me over the last few months when I've struggled, it really does help :notworthy:

Linda xxx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lindor,sounds like you had a nice Xmas?Ours was nice actually.My youngest daughter arrived from London Xmas Eve day,so had a nice night,few drinks,and lots of chatting lol Xmas day got up at 7.45am,did some food prep (nothing major) a little drink at 9am,then had another drink and figured I had better stop otherwise we would of been eating burnt offerings haha Opened presents at 10am,rang some family in Oz,sat down and relaxed,had Xmas dinner around 2.30pm.Later watched a movie,listened to some music and went to bed at 10.30pm.Quiet day I guess but good all the same!

was just lovely...just four of us this year, including my nan! Had a lay in, rung round the rest of family in the UK and OZ, swapped presents, had a little Christmas dance, collected nan and swapped more presents, stuffed our fat faces, then sat in front of the fire watching Christmas TV, chatting...more eating on my behalf ha!

Poor OH who is still in Sydney, he had Christmas Day off as he has worked 12 out of 13 Christmases! Sod's law he was off when by himself! He said he bought some nice food..when asked what he had eaten he said a lovely ham and cheese sandwich..bless his heart! He did abit of packing for the shippers to collect, and watched some DVDs he bought! Looks like we will have to have another Christmas in feb when he gets back! Ha!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm glad you had a great day. Mine was ok....

due to it being the last family Christmas with parents and siblings for a few years and with us leaving in 5 days it was very strained. Disappointed to be honest but people were moody and it just didn't feel right.

My daughter however loved it as she was spoilt by grandparents

was just lovely...just four of us this year, including my nan! Had a lay in, rung round the rest of family in the UK and OZ, swapped presents, had a little Christmas dance, collected nan and swapped more presents, stuffed our fat faces, then sat in front of the fire watching Christmas TV, chatting...more eating on my behalf ha!

Poor OH who is still in Sydney, he had Christmas Day off as he has worked 12 out of 13 Christmases! Sod's law he was off when by himself! He said he bought some nice food..when asked what he had eaten he said a lovely ham and cheese sandwich..bless his heart! He did abit of packing for the shippers to collect, and watched some DVDs he bought! Looks like we will have to have another Christmas in feb when he gets back! Ha!

What a lovely photo! Poor OH, I think you should have another Christmas in Feb!

Helped Cerri(sil),prepare the dinner,in charge of the Turkey and Beef,or slicing it anyway,done a few other bits and bobs,the stuffing etc etc,got it in the oven and all ready to tip up,once that was done went for a few pints with bro and mates,back for dinner,with family,stuffed,made the most of someone cooking for me for a change

Came home,flopped on the bed,nearly finished my book,Down Under(Bill Bryson,excellent btw!),one drink is all i had,too full,cba drinking if ive eaten a lot,so no big deal of a day really,other than family together,and seeing little Leo,my nephews baby,spit of him,stormer!

I'm glad you had a great day. Mine was ok....

due to it being the last family Christmas with parents and siblings for a few years and with us leaving in 5 days it was very strained. Disappointed to be honest but people were moody and it just didn't feel right.

My daughter however loved it as she was spoilt by grandparents

Thank you Hoffer. What a shame, but at least your little one enjoyed it and I hope your first Christmas is as lovely as mine was!

Safe journey!

Sounds like you had a lovely day linda!

Mines was good. Mum woke me up earlier than I wanted - she forgets I'm 23 lol. Opened our presents - she was so chuffed with all of hers so I'm glad! It killed me having to spend money on a picture I thought was disgusting and having to see it everyday lol but its worth it.

Then we went to my aunts house and we had champagne. Soup at 3pm and then don't have dinner for ages. Dinner was great but was far too much stuff on plate. Then a chocolate cake which was amazing! I've got a piece for today lol.

I loved seeing my gran and grandad down, grans reaction to her Rome present was so funny. They had wrapped a rome travel guide book and she looked a bit confused lol. My grandad did well to manage to come but he fell asleep after a few hours and had to go home quite early. Really do think this will be the last time he comes down.

Was also a bit sad because jock and eric aren't here, usually I would take a little doggy bag of extra food for them. :(

We had a great Christmas Day with friends and lots of seafood.Today we had 18 family members and turkey, ham and pork with salads, trifle, cakes and choc etc All the kids loved it and the grown ups too- can't beat being surrounded by your kids, kid's kids and even a kid's kid's kid.

Guest Guest16631

.......has taken some editing.......:mad:

......what a lovely day........

......ended up with 3 extra oldies .....( plus mother and her OH).......as two were visiting one....

.......and to leave him behind with no where to go wouldn't of been right......

.......but thanks to the son and his kind head chef........

.........we ended up with a feast........

........I had already cooked the turkey and had the ham.......

.........salads made .......and we had dips and biscuits to start with some fruit......

..........then a late lunch supplemented by prawns ,.........fattoush.....tabouli......and lots of wine....

..........fresh fruit .....sour cherry .mangoe,white chocolate and raspberrie individual cheesecakes....( thanks son of mine)

..........followed by a cheese board....

...........then Christmas cake with Irish coffee......

...........I was proud of my two sons........who are used to their grandmother and her partner....

..........but to have 3 other older people was a challenge at times.......

............false teeth clacking and wigs moving as he chewed ..lol.......and never a grin out of place....

............they went home with a gift of eggs from the chickens and mangoes from the tree.....

............I went in to the couples home to admire the tin of biscuits given by their son and his family....

.............who had decided this year they were going out.....!

.............they offered me one as they don't like shortbread.......

.............but I said I would call another day to enjoy one........

.............will end up like a house front having to eat the biscuits that no one else will .....lol....

..............the other gentleman..........had received a few presents......

..............and as I left him I thought he would so much of preferred his family's company........

...............they go away every year.....

................I felt I had died today he said....!

.................cripes I thought ,he was allergic to something or nearly choked.....

..................but no......he said I lived in a beautiful place........and he had immensely enjoyed his day.......

...................it made me look around and count my blessings.......I have so much compared to some....

................and I loved my day...........my sons learnt to not see.....food stuck in beards......!

.................and spilt on clothes and a radius of about 3 foot ...lol.....

..................that old people can be interesting........and that they can hold a tune.....

...................and you can tell what they're singing........

...................a day shared with some new friends.......

...................then managed an hour at the beach with a few friends......have left them all enjoying the evening...

.....................youngest gone with the middle son......

.....................and I'll sit with my dogs ............content.....!

......................sipping some Blackburry nip.......sent by a lovely lady in Perth......( hope your enjoying your day as much as I've enjoyed mine...x)

The 5 1/2 yo woke up at 6am for the first time in months, he usually acts like a teenager and sleeps into at least 8 am but the excitement of Santa overrode the usual.

When the 3 yo was awake at 7 they both dragged us up to start attacking the pile........

He was very intrigued that Santa forgot that he had been given a mini speaker (by Santa!) two weeks ago at nursery, as he got another one. I guess Santa has a bit of dementia.............

After the pile had been split and de-papered, Skype was turned on to speak to grandma and granddad in the uk.

We all dressed up and went to my aunties for the family marathon. We got there at 11. It was hot. Cold drinks were needed. Cold drinks were drunk.

We took the scooters the kids had gotten from us in the morning. They rode them around and around the table for hours all day.

Lunch. Lots of lunch. It was still hot. More drinks were needed, more drinks were drunk.

The Kris Kringle again lasted for nearly an hour. I picked out a big box that ended up being full of muffin pans. No one wanted to steal it. The oh unwrapped a huge clock, no one wanted to steal that either, I put it up under the new pergola today. The most desired items ended up being some directors chairs and the baileys gift pack. They were stolen three or four times each.

Still hot. More drinks were drunk.

The kids attacked the piñata with a baseball bat. It wouldn't break. Adults were needed to give the kids a helping hand. Debris, novelties, chocolates and cardboard everywhere.

Some went off to other halves families.

The rest of us drank some more. (It was still hot!)

Some more turned up that had been elsewhere in the morning.

All the lunch leftovers (and a bit more) was put onto the table for dinner. I was still fairly full from lunch and only peeled and ate prawns.......

I had to drop the back parcel shelf to fit all the presents into the car for the drive home.

We left about 9 hours after we arrived. Both the kids fell asleep within 5 minutes.

I just added the presents to the correct piles on the lounge floor when we got home, it took ages to pack them all away today, the kids just wanted to play.........

And I did too!

Guest Guest16631
I think we were posting at the same time, then reading each other's posts at the same time, tink!

......I think so......lol..!

.....funny each experiencing the two ends of life......

.....not much different ime.....

.......love to hear about the little's.....take care ...tink x

Guest Guest16631
Thats very kind of you Tink,but doesn't surprise me,is there any enamel left on the plates after the pickle stabbers chasing food round your plates:laugh::wink:

..........tell me about pickle stabbers........please....

......I think so......lol..!

.....funny each experiencing the two ends of life......

.....not much different ime.....

.......love to hear about the little's.....take care ...tink x

My granny and grandfather and my aunties dad were all there. They are all in their 80's.

Each of them at different stages though.

Granny is fit as a fiddle, she was walking all over the place, drinking midori, talking the back leg off a donkey........

Gramps is going down hill, he can't walk far without one of the uncles or grandsons on each side to hoist him over a step, into a chair or to stop him falling. He was lucid for the first few hours and ate lunch with dog underneath snapping up the debris that missed his mouth, plate and table. He fell asleep half way through the Kris Kringle, no idea how, it was the noisiest part of the day!, and napped on and off for the next four hours....for the last five years we have all thought 'this will be his last Christmas' but he won't give up.

My aunties dad chatted away all day to whoever got within earshot, although I noticed he didn't move far himself.

And you are correct, running around all of this were nine kids under ten, as well as the twenty or so adults.

Our first Christmas has been strange but great! Chocolate for breakfast!(same as UK) , down to the gorgeous beach(could not happen where we lived in Yorkshire) read a few pages from my book, watched the kids in the sea, watched my gorgeous husband embarrass our teenage kids by putting his Santa jacket, belt and hat on for me to take some pics! Back home, lamb, pork and chicken on the barbie! Perfect Christmas!

..........tell me about pickle stabbers........please....

A pickle stabber has one tooth in their mouth,which they use to try to spear the last pickle on the plate,but its not easy with a pickle,hence they are better being given paper plates to avoid damaging the enamel ones:laugh:

Im kidding btw!:wink:pickle stabber is meant in an affectionate way,like twerly:wubclub:

Archived