One in Three

starlight7

On the news tonight they said 1 in 3 women in Australia has a Caesarian section when giving birth. One of the reasons given was the increasing age of mothers at the time of having children. I have a suspicion it is also because the doctors are afraid of being sued when things go wrong. Either way it seems very high. Caesarians used to be only given when the mother and/or babe was in trouble. These days you can actually choose a Caesarian for no particular reason it seems.

Guest Guest 47403
Cosmetic reasons as well I believe. Over faster.Yes it is far too high and a shame natural delivery methods are apparently becoming ever more passé.

True it seems to be quite in fashion in the UK for women to request Caesarian section made more fashionable by people like Victoria Beckham.

Should obviously be used for medical reasons, but not just because it's fashionable.

Very proud of my wife all 3 kids natural with nothing more than gas and air.

On the news tonight they said 1 in 3 women in Australia has a Caesarian section when giving birth. One of the reasons given was the increasing age of mothers at the time of having children. I have a suspicion it is also because the doctors are afraid of being sued when things go wrong. Either way it seems very high. Caesarians used to be only given when the mother and/or babe was in trouble. These days you can actually choose a Caesarian for no particular reason it seems.

Probably to do with number of births in private hospitals over here

Got to fit in with the Doctor's social life:laugh:

True it seems to be quite in fashion in the UK for women to request Caesarian section made more fashionable by people like Victoria Beckham.

Should obviously be used for medical reasons, but not just because it's fashionable.

Very proud of my wife all 3 kids natural with nothing more than gas and air.

I found the gas and air quite useful.

I think she did too :biggrin:

I've had both. First was a long premature traumatic labour resulting in a ventouse delivery and the second was a planned elective section (recommended by consultants)

It was obviously a far less stressful procedure to have an elective section however recovery time was a lot longer... If it's for medical reasons then yes. If just chosen then obviously a natural is better. At the end of the day as long as baby and mum are safe I couldn't care less xx

1 in 3 is high. I think it's about 1 in 4 here but obviously a larger population. They're trying to cut that down too. I think if they just let women have an epidural rather than always trying to put people off the idea people would be much less scared of birth. And rightfully so. It's extremely painful, and if it goes on a while is just awful! Not everyone is lucky and has a quick birth. Most women in America give birth with epidurals but it's because of the cost here that they don't like people having them.

I don't personally know anyone that's opted for a c-section one for fashion reasons, though I know people that have had them with second children due to either a traumatic first birth, damage in first birth so C-section was a better option second time, or emergency C-section first time so it's recommended then to have further C-sections rather than VBACs.

My first birth was long and horrible, mostly gas and air and two half doses of an opiate (Meptid) that didn't help in the slightest, and that birth took me months to recover from.

My second was much quicker (9 hours rather than 26), I did opt for an epidural this time though as I was so scared of it being like the first, however by the time it was fully effective I was at pushing stage and it only took another half hour then. (Spent 3 hours pushing my first out!).

Still took me a few weeks to recover due to blood loss/lack of sleep in the days after the birth but not as bad as the first time round.

I won't be doing it again!!! :)

I was offered a caesar with my first....16 years ago when 2 weeks over...I remember asking...'do need one?' The answer was no...so I did it naturally. Well with a hormone drip to make it happen...birth is bloody hard...why anyone would choose major surgery as an option is beyond me.

I am expecting a baby due in April, and was surprised to learn that Kalgoorlie hospital has the lowest rates of caesarean births in all of WA! I think it's because the obstetricians here (1 of which trained the other 2) is quite obsessed with trying to keep birth weights lower. He advised me to cut down dramatically on sugar and I'm only allowed 1 piece of fruit per day (although having a second piece of fruit is still probably far better than reaching for a chocolate bar!).

Having already had major abdominal surgery 9 years ago and having a lovely vertical 6 inch scar, I don't particularly want to go through it again but if needs must then of course I will. Just hope they can use the same scar, don't want a bloomin' crucifix on my belly!

I had elective c-sections for all of mine - because I wanted to not because I had to. I think it is down to personal choice - I have too many stories to tell of what has happened to a ladies bits down there and I wasnt prepared to have something like that happen to me. For some, nothing happens and they are fine but for alot (and believe me, there are alot - most are too ashamed to talk about it) they have serious issues afterwards. For e.g my sister ripped so badly with her second, that she had half her vagina on the outside and needed major reconstructive surgery afterwards - now, what would you prefer?

I had 2 naturally, well, epidural helped :wink:. My kids were small and I was lucky to go out of the hospital within 24 hours. I didn`t really experience a whole lot of post-partum discomfort either. My friend had an emergency CS, baby was in trouble. She had problem with breastfeeding due to pain in the incision every time she picked the baby up, then went for the bottle feeding instead. She was able to have the 2nd one naturally and she was very happy that she can pick and cuddle the baby without pain and breastfeed him. The wound after C-section is HUGE and makes it really hard to care for a newborn IMO. If we ever have a 3rd one I would want natural birth again.

I have private health insurance to give me a choice when the time comes. I think it's a hugely personal choice and people should not be judged if they decide to opt for an elective c-section.

At the moment I would have an elective for sure, too much of a risk and too much unknown with a natural birth. Whereas with a c-section although it's abdominal surgery, you know what the risks and what the outcomes are likely to be.

I don't know why it's such a badge of honor to do it 'naturally'.

I have private health insurance to give me a choice when the time comes. I think it's a hugely personal choice and people should not be judged if they decide to opt for an elective c-section.

At the moment I would have an elective for sure, too much of a risk and too much unknown with a natural birth. Whereas with a c-section although it's abdominal surgery, you know what the risks and what the outcomes are likely to be.

I don't know why it's such a badge of honor to do it 'naturally'.

Sounds like you're judging people for trying for a natural birth. There isn't really any more 'unknowns' associated with a natural birth compared to unknowns and complications from c-sections. It is after all something we have been designed to do.

I just know how uncomfortable I was after my abdominal surgery. I spent 2 weeks in bed whilst my muscles kitted back together and am left with a huge scar. I could not imagine coping very well with a newborn if I had a c-section particularly when we're in Australia and don't have family to help us out.

Sounds like you're judging people for trying for a natural birth. There isn't really any more 'unknowns' associated with a natural birth compared to unknowns and complications from c-sections. It is after all something we have been designed to do.

I just know how uncomfortable I was after my abdominal surgery. I spent 2 weeks in bed whilst my muscles kitted back together and am left with a huge scar. I could not imagine coping very well with a newborn if I had a c-section particularly when we're in Australia and don't have family to help us out.

Maybe it came across that way, but I didn't mean it to. I guess it's a topic that gets my back up quickly because of the strong feelings surrounding it. There are a large section of people who look down on people who choose a c-section and ram the whole natural is best and you aren't a real mum or don't deserve to have a child if you don't do it the natural way. I've just done quite a bit of reading around the internet on various forums (not necessarily the people who comment on here) and people really do judge other people for their choices when it comes to childbirth and rearing their children.

If you want to have your baby naturally that's great and I hope it all works out and you get the birth you want. But equally shouldn't those who want c-sections have the birth they want?

I don't know why anyone would choose a c section when they could try naturally. It's major abdominal surgery and so much could go wrong.

I would always try natural first. IMO having both if I could have natural I would have every time. It's not a 'badge of honour' it's just the natural way a baby is meant to be born lol most people's bodies know exactly what to do its what we are made for. Just don't understand why a person wouldn't try but like I said before as long as mum and baby are safe xx

Equally so much can go wrong with a natural birth. But I guess it also has a lot to do with who you know and the stories you read.

Out of my friends and family who have had children so far one was in labour for 40 hours and had such a traumatic birth it led to a blood clot on her brain. She collapsed a couple of days later and had to have an MRI scan - she nearly died and was told because of her labour (pushing for so long) she wouldn't be able to have any more children as she'd be on blood thinning medication for life.

Another friend was induced and in labour for 3 days, he got stuck and she had a 3rd degree tear and a forceps delivery. She was sent home the next day and collapsed at home due to all the blood loss, spent the next 4 days in hospital having a blood transfusion and without her baby. She developed severe anxiety once she was back home and wouldn't let anyone near the child. Six months later and she's only just allowing other people to hold him.

There are more, and other than my mother (who also can't understand why you'd choose a section) I don't know anyone who has had a positive natural birth. I know they must happen, but the above scares me far more than abdominal surgery.

I reckon if my friends had had positive stories to tell me my opinion would be different, but at the end of the day I'm just for people having an informed choice.

I understand about traumatic natural births. I've had one. I was advised to have a c section second time round which I did because like I said as long as mum and baby are safe. I just don't understand why people wouldn't even try a natural when they have no idea what their body will do in labour.

Mine doesn't do what it's meant too lol but my best friend had both her babies within an hour and was home within a few hours. I wish I had had that but I didn't lol but I tried because I didn't know what my body would do.

Incidently although both my children were very poorly when they were born the one born naturally with the traumatic labour at 33 weeks was not as poorly as the one born by elective caesarean at 39 weeks. One reason we were told by the consultants was because of the section. X

Well I had 3 natural births, 1 with gas and air + pethadine and 2 with just gas and air. I had a 'ragged placenta' with #1 but was lucky only a small bit was left and caused no issues and it just came away on it's own.

Number 2 I had a full blown pph, lost 2-3 litres of blood. Terrified me that did. BUT that could also happen with a c-section. Number 3 I went for a natural again (immediately after the pph any more and I said I'd have a section) but the risks were the same.

Turns out number 3 was the best birth of the three and I'm glad I decided on a natural.

I think if there is a medical issue, then yes c-section would be best. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here but I don't feel 'fear of labour' is a good enough reason to have a section! Major abdominal surgery for mum, longer healing time (I'd say a very high percentage of mums I know that had sections ended up with infections and the healing process was even longer).

The birth canal is designed as such that it helps the skull bones get into proper alignment. Those that have a section again risk baby needing crainiopathy (although I believe this is a small percentage either through not knowing or genuine 'all is ok'). They may have breathing problems if born before 39 weeks or before labour had not yet started (I guess it's do do with baby not having time to realise it's being exited!)

Increases risk of low lying placenta therefore possibly putting future pregnancies at risk too.

Yes yes I know there are risks with natural labour too, I have been one. I am a statistic. But also risks come not necessarily from labour itself but from those who are looking after you. Waiting too long is the biggie.

I just don't understand how people without complications and who have never experienced labour/birth would chose a c section.

Natural, been around since the dawn of time vs c-section which has been around for approx 100yrs and was first introduced to protect mum/baby.

I had a hugely traumatic 'natural' first birth followed by a 40 minute second birth with no intervention. The problems caused by a traumatic natural birth take a lot of time and surgical intervention to repair, and IMO a highly interventionist birth is worse than the pain and inconvenience of a caesarean. If we could all have easy births like my second, then obviously natural is better, but the vast majority of women I know had a really hard time. My midwife friend told me most female obstetricians she knew opted for elected section, based on their knowledge of the trauma caused by a difficult natural birth. A GP here told me that the caesarean rate is high in Australia as it's more convenient to schedule births in line with the consultants' golf schedules.....

It is very sad that so many opt for a c/s due to fear or fashion. Yes not all labour and birth goes smoothly which is why c/s and forceps is an option - prior to these interventions babies and mothers lost their lives.

However it shocks me that obstetricians are willingly performing c/s without a real obstetric, medical or mental health reason. It is worse for the woman, not only in terms of recovery time and pain but also long term. It is also proven to be worse for the baby, bonding, postnatal depression, breastfeeding and has a higher infection rate.

I would not opt for a c/s out of choice but I am thankful they are there to help women and babies that require the intervention.

Women have been giving birth for years we are quite capable of doing so vaginally and are now very lucky to be able to have some help should things deviate from that norm...

If a Caesarian is done for medical reasons that is obviously fine. Not so sure about these elected ones that are just for the convenience of the mother/doctor though. I suppose in the long run it doesn't matter too much - the birth is only the beginning isn't it? When I had my 4 they only gave you a Caesar if your life or your baby's life was threatened. They weren't too big on painkillers either- you were supposed to breathe your way through the contractions- funny it never seemed to work though I guess all that huffing and puffing gave you something to do.

I've had 3 sections and 1 natural birth and can honestly say I preferred the C-sections, but my first and last were extremely easy recoveries and I was up and about in less than 24 hours and home on day 3.

But my 2nd elective C-section was horrific. The actual procedure was a calm and relaxed affair, but once the epidural had worn off I was in the most horrendous pain imaginable, but being a stubborn cow I still managed to be up and about and home within 5 days. Then the fun really kicked off.

I was in constant agony, the slightest movement was absolute agony. On day 7 the community midwife came out to remove the stitches and as she was pulling out the thread the wound was opening up, by the time she had finished I was sat on the couch with my a hole the size of an small apple in my stomach and 2 kids crying as they were so scared. After being rushed to hospital I was left in a room on my own for over 3 hours, and when asked if I could go to the toilet I was told to take myself, so carefully I took myself off to loo and as I stood up the rest of the wound opened up and I was stood in the toilet on my own cradling my insides, I managed to press the call bell and was helped back to bed where I was left with just a large piece of plastic covering my modesty for another 3 hours. Finally I was wheeled down to surgery and the wound was cleaned and restitched. My recovery form my section was 6 months, and 6 years later I still have complete numbness surrounding my scar.

So I guess what I'm saying is, there are also 'horror stories' for C-sections, they are not the easy option!

Archived