So Poms in the U.k ...what are your thoughts on our current weather ?

bunbury61

no snow , no wind , no rain have counted 2 days of frost ......its going to hit at some stage , but at the moment very mild ....the other night in the car 12c , i walked the dog at 6am the other day with 2 layers on .......8c today .......the bad stuff may come later as it did last year ( march ) ......less colder it is the better ......15c -25c permanently ....if i could have my way ....dont like the winter ....snow on xmas eve and xmas day and that would be it for me

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem mild so far, just as well as I hate the cold! According to weather forecast for Manchester, it'll snow (lightly) on Friday night and be around 0 degrees. Typical the sudden cold spell is hitting the night before I fly out, hopefully won't cause us any disruptions. This mild weather may be lulling some people in to a false sense of security, I'm sure winters bite is just around the corner!

I think we've had a great autumn really. The past couple of days have been overcast, but we've had lots of bright, sunny days. It does make winter so much shorter when it's like this! We've lit a fire in the evenings, but only had the heating on for an hour in the mornings and for half an hour upstairs in the evenings. Hopefully it'll make up for the reservoir of oil we used last year!

It's all set for change by the end of the week though. Mind you, even the cold spells haven't been long. I don't mind winter so much when it's like this - good for long walks with the dog!

It's just grim to be honest. It's dark and grey here in the midlands.

I just drove home at 4.30pm and it was pitch black, when I get up for work tomorrow at 5am it will still be dark.

i really don't like winter at all.

That is the worst bit of it, I agree. Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. I used to work in a building with no proper windows so it seemed like I was living in the dark for months.

Still, it's under three weeks until the shortest day, then the days will start getting longer again, slowly, but surely.

I think it's been a grand autumn. I've only got wet one day on my walks and that was my stupidity in not putting my parka on soon enough. There have been some fabulous blue sky crisp mornings where walking is a delight (have to dress appropriately of course!) Given the hedgerows being laden with berries I'm expecting a harsh winter TBH but I would like to see what Piers Corbyn says! I don't mind the shorter days because I know they will lengthen quite quickly once December is over and after too many hot Christmases I do like those chilly evenings with haloes around the street lights. Bit of snow would be nice (right around 19 Jan would do me so my DH's flight to Ausgets delayed by a couple of weeks!

Guest Guest 47403

Been decent weather since the start of July really, much less rain this year, not a fan of the damp and overcast days would rather it was clear skies and frosty.

I prefer t-shirt weather and once it's past it the temperature really doesn't bother me could be 13°c or 3°c much of a muchness just add and take away layers.

Got to remember though Jan and Feb are usually the worse months temperature wise.

Where I live has been quite mild actually.Its weird,I now walk to work and I get rugged up,step outside the front door and its not even cold!I really don't mind winter tbh,I like a nice pot of hot soup on the stove,rugging up,going out for walks with my wellies on.I just embrace each season for what it is.

I hate the dark afternoons and the limited daylight hours but haven't minded it the last few months, not that much rain which is always good. This time last year we were doing 4-5 weeks straight because the rain kept callopsing footings and causing havoc

As i said earlier , not a fan of winter ....but i have to said , the boss has done a great job of the decorations ...its like santas grotto :biggrin:

the events are sorted ...

xmas eve ..early midnight mass ( with mom )....then pub ..the fires on already ...yeehaah

xmas day ...dinner with mom ( god bless her ) ...

In between a couple of nights at the roadhouse ....and a session or two of guilt at the gym :biggrin:

new years eve ....pub disco ....and some seriously sh.t dancing ...and the CRAIC

As i said earlier , not a fan of winter ....but i have to said , the boss has done a great job of the decorations ...its like santas grotto :biggrin:

the events are sorted ...

xmas eve ..early midnight mass ( with mom )....then pub ..the fires on already ...yeehaah

xmas day ...dinner with mom ( god bless her ) ...

In between a couple of nights at the roadhouse ....and a session or two of guilt at the gym :biggrin:

new years eve ....pub disco ....and some seriously sh.t dancing ...and the CRAIC

early midnight mass?

I'm not a big fan of icy cold freezing weather, which apparently is due to arrive. However, as long as it kills off the False Widow spiders then that's fine :wink:

In all honesty, the south of England is lacking rainfall! We had a warm (even hot!) dry summer remember which actually lasted well into October. Then there did come some rain but now we seem to be in a run of dry and cold weather which some are predicting will last until March. If that is so, then there could be the dreaded 'D' word come April. It may sound silly but remember the number of people that live in the southeast of England al using water.

As for what I think; I hate the cold, I hate the 'damp' feeling the UK always has (which then leads to humidity for anything over 23'c) and above all else at this time of year I hate the dark days. Yesterday it was car headlights on all day, dusk at 3.20pm and pitch dark by 4pm.

Get me outa here! lol

Archived