Daughter having to re-do prep year again after moving to Vic

SGHJLL

Our daughter turned 5 in August and has already completed a whole year in reception class in UK.

She is set to start school in February '14 but has been booked into the prep year.

Obviously I have great concerns over her having to dumb down for the year. She is an intelligent girl and very studious. She was the top of the class in reading in the UK and was on a year higher level books as it was.

I am booking in to see the headmaster of the school and just wondered if I can negotiate that my daughter join the year one group instead.

I had thought that age appropriate placement would be best but my older daughter has been re-doing grade 2 since we arrived and is complaining that the work is far too easy for her - especially maths. There are children between the age of 7 and 9 in her year group and she is 7 but seems to be more advanced.

Has anyone else been through this? I really don't want my 5 year old to be going back to basics when she has progressed so quickly already in the UK.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our daughter turned 5 in August and has already completed a whole year in reception class in UK.

She is set to start school in February '14 but has been booked into the prep year.

Obviously I have great concerns over her having to dumb down for the year. She is an intelligent girl and very studious. She was the top of the class in reading in the UK and was on a year higher level books as it was.

I am booking in to see the headmaster of the school and just wondered if I can negotiate that my daughter join the year one group instead.

I had thought that age appropriate placement would be best but my older daughter has been re-doing grade 2 since we arrived and is complaining that the work is far too easy for her - especially maths. There are children between the age of 7 and 9 in her year group and she is 7 but seems to be more advanced.

Has anyone else been through this? I really don't want my 5 year old to be going back to basics when she has progressed so quickly already in the UK.

She is five.... It is how she performs between 15-17 at school that matters.

I have two in Uni as well so am not new to this. I do know however that early childhood learning makes a lot of difference to the rest of their academic life.

I also teach.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has been able to haggle with which year group their child enters?

A high proportion of of people that post on here say that their children are the top of their class, really quite incredible the number of gifted children that are moving to Australia.

In any class, regardless of age, there will be children reading at lower and higher levels - that's normal.

The Principal will ultimately decide if it is appropriate. If you wish to have a strong case, then take detailed reports from the old school and show teacher reports that actually your child is advanced/gifted and thus would be disadvantaged by being in a group with her age peers..

What did you honestly expect though? You've moved to a different country with an entirely different curriculum and focus. Things are different here and there is sure to be a period of adjustment.

So very wrong. Early childhood forms such a strong basis for later success, both emotionally and academically.

I'd agree that early childhood forms a strong basis for later success, but that doesn't necessarily mean an academic early childhood - for example take the Nordic countries.

The OP asked about ability to negotiate. It depends on the school and headmaster. Our youngest is very gifted, taught himself to read, found himself in daycare reading the signs of the shopping centre. Kindergarten - way ahead in reading and maths, but the issue was the emotional development. Pre-primary ditto - but the school put him through an extensive period of observation and psychology testing to see if he was equipped emotionally to be in a class of older children. They had noted in a previous case that the child did poorly due to social demands.

He was put a year ahead - went onto year 2, jumping year 1. He had some initial difficulty when older kids would ignore or try to bully. He decked one little tyke, and had no difficulty since then. In fact he is now going into year 3/4 opportunity class - the school is very proactive in ensuring that the varying degrees of ability are catered for.

Bottom line - we had good initial conversations with class teachers and headmaster, they keenly observed and took action to advance when they were happy it was in his best interests. Go for it!

Shouldn't think you'll have much chance with an August birthday unless you get a psychoeducational assessment indicating profound giftedness along with a comparable adaptive behaviour and social/emotional advancement. You are marginally more likely to get acceleration in a private school but then you will find she might be middle of the road with all the other gifted kids anyway.

It might be better for her to be extended within her age cohort than to be with kids who are much older. A lot of kids who are early readers and writers find prep boring but have a word with the class teacher about Blooms Taxonomy (or even provide her with her own ways of making the bog standard a bit more challenging).

Its well known that kids coming from the UK tend to be well ahead of their Aus age peers and whilst acceleration might seem like the easy thing to do when they are little it often falls apart when the kids are older and out of their age range.

Its well known that kids coming from the UK tend to be well ahead of their Aus age peers and whilst acceleration might seem like the easy thing to do when they are little it often falls apart when the kids are older and out of their age range.

Second this. We found our 2 year old part time work calculating derivatives for investment banks in UK, but in Australia nothing - they just cut our tall poppy down.

• Like 1

We haven't haggled. We found a school that was open to assessing our son and then placing him in the year they felt (after consultation with us etc) would be best for him. It also helps they have mixed classes so his Y1 next year will be a YR1 class. Then Y2/3.

Our son arrived last month having done a full year of reception and 6 weeks of Y1. He was placed in with the new reception intake of term 3 and 4 starters. It was clear early on he was streets ahead and could have gone into The other reception class who began in T 1 and 2 and been fine. But we were happy to go with what the school did with the view to his on placing next year being the key thing.

He's been assessed and it's still ongoing but his teacher is recommending he goes up to Y1 next Jan. if it's then felt over the course of Y1 (In a Y 1R class) he would be better doing y1 over he'd not go up to y2 but would stay in the class if that makes sense.

We are lucky we live in a state which until then end of this school year has a staggered intake and that our son has a birthday on the cusp if the cut off. If he was a couple of months younger they may well have not considered where to place him but simply insisted he do YR next year.

He has met all the literacy, numeracy and other assessments they have done with him without issue. We also know that in future it will be easier to have him repeat a year at a younger age than try to get him put up a year. We are happy with the schools decision and are, like them keeping an open mind for next year and seeing how he does.

Not all schools when we discussed would consider the above. Some would, some would not and went with the cut off dates. I think our son is, while not bored in his current reception class (some have only been at school a month now) is definitely not stimulated as much learning wise. He devours doing tasks at home and stretching his brain so to speak. He has said it's more work than in his UK reception and they don't have anywhere near as much time to play or do other things as he was used to. Reception here is far more full on than UK from what I can see.

Fwiw, we went with asking for the school to asses him over a term now. And not being too pushy. We left the ball in their court once they had said they were happy to do this. I think that went over better than if we had been insisting on where he was placed.

There is no reason to think a child repeating prep is going to dumb down. I think its a good idea if they are new to the country and the culture for them to go in at the bottom of the school if possible. Its so important that they get to like school and putting them in with children who have been together for a year can make them feel very much on the outer especially if they have a different accent etc. Going in with all the new ones, she will settle much better. Social is so much part of it and feeling accepted.

I have two in Uni as well so am not new to this. I do know however that early childhood learning makes a lot of difference to the rest of their academic life.

I also teach.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has been able to haggle with which year group their child enters?

She is not dumbing down, she is 5, she is not doing rocket science just yet.

I am also incredulous at the number of extraordinarily gifted children moving to Australia and being held back, it is a little amusing recently really. You probably need to either fit in with the system here or move back to the one you are more comfortable with.

Sorry this may not be much help given it is the wrong state but I have noticed here in Qld that one of the main criteria for being able to a request a child skips prep is that they have completed similar schooling already overseas. The rules allowing you to apply seem to match your scenario.

I have a 12 year old granddaughter in Year 8. She does well academically but in other ways she is very immature. I think at the age of 5 it would be very risky indeed to push a child ahead of her age group- particularly starting in a new country. Academic work is not everything and in the long run an ability to fit in and communicate with others is vital. Australian primary schools have different priorities from British schools. Not saying they are better but they are not the same.

Sorry this may not be much help given it is the wrong state but I have noticed here in Qld that one of the main criteria for being able to a request a child skips prep is that they have completed similar schooling already overseas. The rules allowing you to apply seem to match your scenario.

Yes that is true in Queensland and was the case last year at least. In fact, it seemed to be the only valid criteria for "moving up" a year level.

I think it will depend on the school and head as to whether you can request a Year One start.

I do find NSW to be much more flexible than England, given that I have the choice to put my younger son in Kindergarten or Year One as he is a July birthday - interestingly I have decided to put him back into Kindergarten, even though he has done reception and will have done one term of Year One when we move. I wanted to hold him back in England and wasn't allowed. My reason? He is not gifted!! Or if he is he is hiding it well!! He is very immature and only feel he will benefit from repeating a year. My other son is doing well in Year 3, and is happily about middle of the class - he will move down to Year 2 in Australia, and although I know he could cope with the Year 3 work, we feel it's better for him to be around children his own age rather than a certain academic level. Children do develop at different rates, academically, socially and in regards to maturity levels, and I think it is up to the Class teacher to push them & challenge them at their level, regardless of what year they are in.

Good luck with the move, and I hope you find the school and the teachers / head are accommodating to you and your child's needs.

I really don't 'get' why any parent would want their child in a group with kids of a different age. Emotional and social development is as important as academic. Academics will thrive and prosper in a good school with good support regardless of year group!! Theres enough pressure on our kids without adding to it in thsi way....just be happy if she is happy...whats the problem?? Too much emphasis on pushing kids at an early age to surpass the 'normal' levels..if we all accepted that all kids are different and have different abilities and interests school would be a happier place for all....

I think it will depend on the school and head as to whether you can request a Year One start.

I do find NSW to be much more flexible than England, given that I have the choice to put my younger son in Kindergarten or Year One as he is a July birthday - interestingly I have decided to put him back into Kindergarten, even though he has done reception and will have done one term of Year One when we move. I wanted to hold him back in England and wasn't allowed. My reason? He is not gifted!! Or if he is he is hiding it well!! He is very immature and only feel he will benefit from repeating a year. My other son is doing well in Year 3, and is happily about middle of the class - he will move down to Year 2 in Australia, and although I know he could cope with the Year 3 work, we feel it's better for him to be around children his own age rather than a certain academic level. Children do develop at different rates, academically, socially and in regards to maturity levels, and I think it is up to the Class teacher to push them & challenge them at their level, regardless of what year they are in.

Good luck with the move, and I hope you find the school and the teachers / head are accommodating to you and your child's needs.

NSW has a July cut off which makes either option viable. The OP has a child with an August birthday in a state with an April cut off - unlikely to happen.

Just to clarify....as it seems some of you like a good debate!

I do not profess to having a genius 5 year old, just simply that she has already been to school for a whole year and so of course will categorically be ahead of the ones who are starting afresh in the new year.

I was simply after some details from people who had experienced a similar situation, and many thanks to those who have shared their stories to help me.

I have always been and will always be concerned about the best outcome for my children and any normal parent would be.

Seeing as I already have two daughters - one a qualified English teacher and the other studying law at Cambridge University - I can't see that my worrying about suitable schooling for my children will ever be, in my mind, over concern.

Thanks again to those who have offered valuable advice.

Just to clarify....as it seems some of you like a good debate!

I do not profess to having a genius 5 year old, just simply that she has already been to school for a whole year and so of course will categorically be ahead of the ones who are starting afresh in the new year.

I was simply after some details from people who had experienced a similar situation, and many thanks to those who have shared their stories to help me.

I have always been and will always be concerned about the best outcome for my children and any normal parent would be.

Seeing as I already have two daughters - one a qualified English teacher and the other studying law at Cambridge University - I can't see that my worrying about suitable schooling for my children will ever be, in my mind, over concern.

Thanks again to those who have offered valuable advice.

Don't assume that your daughter will be ahead of the others because she has done a year of school and they haven't. Some kids will have been to Kindy, which from what I can gather is a lot like reception in the UK. The kids here are just as capable and varied as the kids in the UK and they will be doing similar stuff at similar ages. My kids went from the end of years 6 and 2 in the UK to mid year in years 5 and 2 over here and they are finding that the kids in the class are at a similar levels to those in the UK.

I'd be more concerned with finding a decent school than worrying about what year your daughter will be in when she goes there. A good school will ensure she is stretched whatever year level she is in and whatever her capabilities are.