Mixed Race Family

VEIK

Hi everyone

I would really value some advice if possible please?

We are currently in the middle of applying for our visa and we will soon have to specify where in Australia we would like to head for. We are a mixed race family - my husband is black and I am white and we have 2 children aged 2 and 5.

We live in London at the moment where the children are surrounded by black, mixed and white children and whilst I know we won't get the same diversity in Australia we would like them to grow up somewhere where they aren't completely isolated because of their colour. We were considering Melbourne but also maybe Brisbane or Queensland in general - Can anyone offer any thoughts or advice on the best location for us.

Thank you in advance for any help x

Not really. Urban rather than rural for sure. The predominant mixed marriages in Aus are more Anglo/Asian and there are loads of them (mainly East Asian). Not so many Anglo/AfroCarribean mixes. Go where you can get a job I reckon. You'll probably encounter some racism wherever you go - it isn't far under the surface. Queensland is renowned for its redneck status but racism everywhere is legislated against of course

Thank you for replying so quickly - much appreciated.

I'm sure it would be the same in the UK too. I'm sure if we moved to rural Wales we might encounter a few stares so the advice to go where the work is definitely the way we should be thinking.

Thank you again x

Hi we too are a mixed race family hubby is white and I am Indian we have been together nearly 23 years, married for nearly 19 years have a 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son and have been to many countries abroad and and in uk and have never ever experienced any racism whatsoever!!!

We were in Perth on a reccie for 3 weeks made some lovely new friends whilst visiting some of our friends from the UK, but are now heading for Adelaide as hubbys job came off the WA skills list and we are really looking forward to starting our new life but the through of any racism has never ever come into the equation. Times have changed!!

Bal

xx

have to say the stereo type of racism in QLD worried me at first (I'm white wife is Malaysian) but we have visited twice now and move in the new year and not seen or heard any. Then we realised there are the braindead everywhere so why let it affect where we want to be.

I have my daughters Aboriginal friend coming over on Friday , she is at the same private school and I know she is of good nature as I have met her without her knowing, it was at the performing art exhibition ,she was dishing out nibbles and I could tell she was a good girl ......hope she likes curry ......!

My experience of QLD is that it can be quite backwards when it comes to racism. I was in the building trade both on the tools and office based and both where quite bad when it came to accepting diversity. I might get dressed up as banter but (sorry to compare UK/AUS) compared to London, QLD towns I had experience of (brisbane, rockhampton, mackay, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast) where overtly racist.

My experience of QLD is that it can be quite backwards when it comes to racism. I was in the building trade both on the tools and office based and both where quite bad when it came to accepting diversity. I might get dressed up as banter but (sorry to compare UK/AUS) compared to London, QLD towns I had experience of (brisbane, rockhampton, mackay, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast) where overtly racist.

50 years in Australia and I saw far more racism in the 16 years I lived in the UK.

14 years in the Mackay district and have not seen any racism. You must have been to the wrong areas, simmo.

Actually, there was a local news article claiming 56 nationalities in the Mackay area.

Cheers, Bobj.

I live in Melbourne and one of my neighbours is in a mixed race marriage and she has never told me of any racism towards her or their family. I think its like anywhere, we like some people we do not like others and its nothing to do with race its all about what we are like ourselves. In Victoria many different races have moved to country town and been well accepted, people just want people to come to their towns basically.

Melbourne is the way to go. I've been here just over a year, its like the united nations here, every conceivable culture colour and lifestyle, and it just works. you don't feel the undercurrents of any kind of racism or hatred.

its a breath of fresh air tbh.

we're all human, we were all born naked.

and in Melbourne it feels that way.

i'm sure, you're gonna love it :)

my wife just mentioned, we know a mixed race family. lol. in thinking about our conversations with them, they have never mentioned any issues. and they seem as content, confident and successful as anyone else i've chatted to.

I have lived in QLD for the last 4 years both in town and the outback and I have not seen or witnessed any racism and non of my mixed race friends have ever commented on racism, obviously I cannot guarantee you will never come across racism but in my honest opinion I do not think you would have any problems. Like Bob I actually live in the state! I hope everything works out for you do not get overly concerned about things, I am sure you will find the locals welcoming and friendly wherever you decide to move to.

Melbourne is the way to go. I've been here just over a year, its like the united nations here, every conceivable culture colour and lifestyle, and it just works. you don't feel the undercurrents of any kind of racism or hatred.

its a breath of fresh air tbh.

we're all human, we were all born naked.

and in Melbourne it feels that way.

i'm sure, you're gonna love it :)

my wife just mentioned, we know a mixed race family. lol. in thinking about our conversations with them, they have never mentioned any issues. and they seem as content, confident and successful as anyone else i've chatted to.

The thing is people are friends and we do not thing "oh they are a "mixed race"family"they are just another family. Melbourne does have them all we have lots of same sex marriages with kids and people from every corner of the world. Its what makes it so interesting and gives us the opportunity to try different foods, festivals on the cheap, we do not have to travel for them

Not sure about Melbourne or Sydney as I've never been. My youngest daughter lives in Brisbane and has a black boyfriend and has never experienced anything untoward ( well except for her own narrow minded British Father that is but that's another story!) I live in Perth and it is very multicultural , personally I've not witnessed any issues, I've a friend who is Indian, her OH British, and they have had no issues. I was on a train last weekend coming back from Showgrounds on the Freo line, and in the carriage we were in only myself my OH and an Aussie family next to us were speaking English.

It is wrong to assume there in no racism in Australia as that clearly isn't true. There is nothing to match the mix of London Down Under, but Melbourne would come the closest. It is fact there are not a lot of black folk in Australia. While a black/white couple are not unique, they are far from the norm and here is not as easy going in the general sense as would be London. (which is ultra tolerant) That's not to say there will be issues down here but wrong for white folk on here to comment there won't be issues. Australia has not been a country of mixed races for so long as to make folk oblivious to racial issues. It has been suggested that Australia is the most casually, comfortable racist country in the world....

It is wrong to assume there in no racism in Australia as that clearly isn't true. There is nothing to match the mix of London Down Under, but Melbourne would come the closest. It is fact there are not a lot of black folk in Australia. While a black/white couple are not unique, they are far from the norm and here is not as easy going in the general sense as would be London. (which is ultra tolerant) That's not to say there will be issues down here but wrong for white folk on here to comment there won't be issues. Australia has not been a country of mixed races for so long as to make folk oblivious to racial issues. It has been suggested that Australia is the most casually, comfortable racist country in the world....

Here here........:yes:

Seriously - thank you to all of you for taking the time to comment and give me your advice.

As long as the children are ok I am not bothered about anything else and it sounds as though on the whole they will be. All you can do is be yourself and people can love you for that. If they don't like our family because of the mixed colour of us all then that's up to them. It happens in the UK too but Melbourne definitely sounds like best place for us to consider heading to.

Thank you again to you all xx

VEIK, we just got back from two weeks in Oz today. We've been going once a year for a decade now and we're emigrating out there in Jan. I'm of Indian origin, my wife's blonde with blue eyes and our two young kids are a mixture of that eclectic mix!

On this trip and others we've seen people look, stare, whisper- the usual. Kinda like the UK in the 70s/80s but not confined to any age demographic. It's mainly curiosity I guess but you'd think it wouldn't be an issue in a place like Sydney, where we'll be living.

I wouldn't call it racism as such though, merely ordinary folk seeing something that's unusual to their eyes and way of thinking. In our experience, the older generation try to make contact and start a conversation about where we're from, whereas younger people just look and stare a bit.

Or it could just be I'm incredibly handsome and people stare at my beauty, in which case my mirror needs a new battery or summink :biggrin::biggrin:

Archived