Vale Lou Reed

starlight7

So does a kid hitting a saucepan with a wooden spoon.

It was a fair question. 30 years a heroin addict, miserable as sin, total asshole, mean to a fault.

But he wrote a handful of good songs in 50 years? Why would it make anybody sad, you didn't know him did you?

A famous person, though often personally unkown, can evoke memories in many of a distant past, love lost,friends made and a life lived.

I would say that Starlight is allowed to have some feeling and emotions regarding his passing, wouldn't you?

A famous person, though often personally unkown, can evoke memories in many of a distant past, love lost,friends made and a life lived.

I would say that Starlight is allowed to have some feeling and emotions regarding his passing, wouldn't you?

Of course, but it's a bit weird how people get melancholic over stranger's deaths. Worth asking why he's described as influential when he's inspired pretty much nothing except sexual perversion and drug taking, although each to their own.

Just a bugbear, the #RIP brigade.

:daydreaming: I am not a member of the RIP brigade, thank you. Not am I a coffin chaser.

If you really want to know I associate Lou Reed's music with one of my children when they were a teenager and it evokes heaps of memories. I haven't met him but I do know a couple of people who have . Did you know he was also into tai chi - which I don't actually like but interesting side to him.

Of course, but it's a bit weird how people get melancholic over stranger's deaths. Worth asking why he's described as influential when he's inspired pretty much nothing except sexual perversion and drug taking, although each to their own.

Just a bugbear, the #RIP brigade.

You might be surprised who was influenced by his music. You might be a bit young to remember him and how influential he was.

So does a kid hitting a saucepan with a wooden spoon.

It was a fair question. 30 years a heroin addict, miserable as sin, total asshole, mean to a fault.

But he wrote a handful of good songs in 50 years? Why would it make anybody sad, you didn't know him did you?

The entire music scene of the time was into drugs to one degree or another. Very few I can think of were pure. Just how it was. The times were different. Youth was out there and I supposed self absorbed in a worldly sort of way. He was an icon of all that. Not so much the passing of the man but the era.

:daydreaming: I am not a member of the RIP brigade, thank you. Not am I a coffin chaser.

If you really want to know I associate Lou Reed's music with one of my children when they were a teenager and it evokes heaps of memories. I haven't met him but I do know a couple of people who have . Did you know he was also into tai chi - which I don't actually like but interesting side to him.

My understanding is he was a man of many dimensions. He contributed a lot towards music and lived his life his way. He had I'd say a very interesting side. Not a carbon cut out as some that followed gave appearances of being...

I was 15 when I was introduced to his music and I've loved it ever since. I was already hooked to David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Almost all musicians at that time were into 'drugs, drink and loose living', it doesn't detract from their music.

Parleycross you must have heard Perfect Day at the very least! :wink: No one could have spent their life not having heard it once!

Especially when it was covered by this lot for Children in Need

I was 15 when I was introduced to his music and I've loved it ever since. I was already hooked to David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Almost all musicians at that time were into 'drugs, drink and loose living', it doesn't detract from their music.

Parleycross you must have heard Perfect Day at the very least! :wink: No one could have spent their life not having heard it once!

Especially when it was covered by this lot for Children in Need

Thank you caramac, actually I take it back I have of course heard and like the song "Take a walk on the wild side". That is a good track.

But I don't know the other song Perfect Day, or any others, so he is a one hit wonder to me I'm afraid.

Guest littlesarah

He wasn't my favourite artist, but at least he was of a time before the auto-tuned, hyper-managed, mad-produced cash cows that seem to dominate the music industry now. As for the drugs thing, people make poor choices, good luck to anyone who gets hooked on heroin - they'll need it. Many composers were users of opium & had syphilis - doesn't mean they didn't write great works, though.

Thank you caramac, actually I take it back I have of course heard and like the song "Take a walk on the wild side". That is a good track.

But I don't know the other song Perfect Day, or any others, so he is a one hit wonder to me I'm afraid.

Time for a bit of self education perhaps? :wink:. I understand his music isn't for everyone, but worth a listen and so much better than a lot of what was around in the 70s!

Time for a bit of self education perhaps? :wink:. I understand his music isn't for everyone, but worth a listen and so much better than a lot of what was around in the 70s!

I'm ashamed to say that in the 70's, I was too busy listening to Gary Glitter, Sweet and Suzy Quatro.

I was a young teenager and probably not sophisticated enough for Lou Reed back then.

Archived