Trip reports of a guy on a WHV

tingtongman

No it's not the case at all so please don't think that just that I think a lot of what the WHV is about is really confused back in the UK. I've left a good, well paid-ish job to come over to travel and experience a totally different lifestyle and if I spend my life's savings but have an awesome time then I'll feel its value for money but soooo many people seem to be embarking on it thinking they will make money picking a few apples which isn't the case.( and I am not suggesting tingtong this is you for a second, your approach is great) I totally agree that i wouldn't expect to come here and fund a 5* holiday for a short term unskilled job that so many Aussies would do if that were the case, that's not my expectation, but it seems a common one.

It's important to make it all relative to the cost of living and £12 doesn't buy you what it would at home. Tingtong you are living really frugally but it's not going to be the case for everyone, one night on the beer would bugger it all up for instance lol - I know you know this but to people reading it's just good to put it ino perspective I think or people will continue with the wrong idea that they can go and pick a few apples and live like a king. POI members I don't think are the norm but take a look at the student websites and you will see this.

The reality is that it's bloody hard work and the rewArd is fair but it's not going to make you a millionaire , you work your guts out for it if you want to make good money and attitude is all!

(P.s yes, arable farm in the UK when I was with my ex, they were machine picked but hand sorted then machine graded and you wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get anyone english on the onion line (or carrot) they just wouldn't last. It was smelly and dusty and mouldy onions are foul, they'd quit after a few days. Then everyone would be up in arms over employing the Easters Europeans but to them min wage was worth so much more so they would do 3 years and go home and buy a house so I guess it's a similar kind of situation in terms of what you'll do as a means to an end)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I see people all the time over here spending all there money at the pub lol.The beers in the shops are very expensive, I have lived in Thailand for the last year and managed to spend under $1k a month on average, I have foretasted my spending for the next 3 months in Oz in this rural area and its come to $600~ per month. Very low and I will let you know at the end of the month how it goes.

But you are right it wont make anyone rich, unless all you do is work and live cheaply you can save good amounts, but backpackers want to get drunk and see stuff which costs alot of $$$$ here. A lot of them will be shocked when they come to the rural areas that's for sure lol. We had to invest around $60-100 in equipment just to get started to picking onions, the better pickers even more. I dont think the typical person on a WHV will do this though :P

Thanks guys, im still hurting and cant make a full fist yet, I should take a few days off, but I get bored in my room, and there is only so long I can wonder around Aldi before they kick me out for not buying anything.

Tingtongman, great thread! Not sure if I've missed it but how did you get to the onion farm? Did you use public transport or drive? The one thing that's concerning me slightly is the number of picking jobs that I've seen that require you to have your own transport!

There are a bunch of contractors in the area, and they will either pick you up at your house or they will tell you all to come at a meeting point very early in the morning. They will have a load of mini buses that will take you to the farm and pick you too. Sometimes you have to get a lift back with someone else or wait a few hours for the next bus to come. Someone said some contractors charge you to use the bus, but I never have paid.

I think part of your post is a bit unfair, i work 8 hours a day for minimum wage and i'd choose it everytime than sitting on the dole for £56 a week..

My youngest has autism so gets a bit of a "pension" already, which makes it a bit more than the usual unemployment rate. He hates doing nothing though and volunteers at Salvos a couple of days a week. Doesn't get anything for doing it but when we told him he was getting money from the government he couldn't believe it. Said "you mean they pay me for doing nothing".

He starts a job this Sunday though so is really looking forward to being properly employed.

just did a big shift, managed to rake up $160 for the day which is not bad for my 2nd week picking onions (thats 4 bins). I feel a bit like a wuss as the women next to me was 50+ and she managed 5 bins in less the time.

to tired to post any pics, but I will do next time I get a free mintue

people should wear sunscreen, a person who has been working on the farms for a month or so..

10754766353_73c681f579_z.jpg

I always go fully covered up in a long sleeve shirt that and a full brimmed hat. I have been told the rays in OZ are stronger due to a bigger hole in the O zone layer or something.Managed to see the sun rise and the sun set last night, I was on the farm for that long.

10754457815_86f8310c2f_c.jpg

The weather the last few days has not been so great so work hasent been too good. The ground is so soft due to the tractors turning the soil constantly, when it gets wet, the soil soaks up all the water and its like quick sand. You can't pick anything and its horrible being wet. There is also nothing to do here expect talk to backpackers, who everyday I despise a little more lol. A little bit in isolation but I do have some friends nearby I can talk too so its not all bad.

We also had the textbook mini van gets stuck in the mud so 7 of us had to go and push it out for about 50 meters lol. No pics sadly, but ill get them next time.

10754539426_53d1c7045f.jpg

I also got bit by a wasp while at work a few days ago in the neck, I didn't die luckily, are wasp stings common here, do people get reactions? I was a bit worried when it happened, but it didn't hurt or swell up.

Guest The Pom Queen

Great updates again thanks for sharing. How is the bank balance looking are you managing to save? Do they pay cash in the hand or is it all above board?

Yes we are saving good, appox $1k so far. Everything with payment is above board as far as I can tell. I would say we have missed about 3-4 days worth of earnings maybe more because of our lack of conditioning, weather and no work on certain days. So that would be around $400-500 each. This week looks a bit gloomy in terms of weather so we are recharging our batteries and working fewer hours, and hopefully hit it hard again next week with good weather. We are also under our daily budget of $19.50 per day for the month, but as I said I wont relivle the spreadsheet of our costs until the end of the month.

More flies in the farms too now, not sure what we can use to repel them yet, suggestions anyone?

Edited by tingtongman

Love your thread! May i know how did u secured the job in the first place? And where exactly your farm at? Cause i've been in adelaide for quite some time and couldnt find any farm job so far. Any help guys?

Cheers!

I work for a contractor picking onions currently, but he does have other fruit and veg too, so every day its a different farm. I recently made a post about how I got my job in my blog so you can take a look there, but you should try calling the national harvest line and ask what is happening in Adelaide. Its how I managed to get this job by ringing them. I am currently based in Queensland, not to far from Brisbane.

how is the rain in Oz usually? It seems to piss it down for 20-40mintues then stop again, not worked for about 4 days because of the weather, the clouds dont look too friendly either

some lightning

10831032994_5069ba9a7f_c.jpg

A few mintues before it rained

10832233556_b832efd156_c.jpg

I though it was comming up to the QLD summer now? :S

Flys are a massive problem here in WA its not even fly season yet but already they are bad especially on the farms where my UK friend is working to get her 2nd yr visa. The ONLY thing that seems to work is wearing a head net that covers all of your face.. You can buy them to slip over your hat, At least that will stop the little buggers going up your nose or in your ears. Can get them for under $2.00 at any red dot or bunnings.

Good luck.. love reading your updates.

So we ended up getting some eucalyptus oil to see how it would affect against flies and so far its doing a good job. a small bottle costs $4 in the shops, we usually just drab a bit on the top of our hats and on our colors. May need to re-apply after 4 hours. Weather has not been the best and we were stuck homebound for 4 days, kind of brutal as there is nothing to do here, like nothing

10828724393_945fa2b95d_z.jpg

We had a look for misquto nets and they are about $10 at mitre 10. We have gotten alot faster too recently, hopefully can start to rack up some good $$$ now.

Loved reading this thread. It's made me wish I could do my WHV all over again. I only did a year, wish I had done something to stay the two, though the year extension only came in the year I went I think!

I remember a call centre I worked in in Brisbane paid $18 or $19 an hour, more for a night shift. Being 20/21, I thought that was amazing!

glad everyone is enjoying this thread, I dont update this thread too much with gut wrenching info but feel free to ask me anything and ill do my best to answer back although my knowledge is limited somewhat. I do also try to put a post a week up on my blog with some info.

I have been having problems lately with gloves, they all keep on ripping, I cant bring myself to pay $20 for a pair as I think they will feel the same ill fate as rest. Problem is that when using my scissors, they sometimes cut into the gloves, resulting in them being ripped. I bought these gloves and did a DIY job hopefully they do the trick.

10941490323_d3ece25dec_z.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Weather wise it depends where in Queensland you are. For us up North Queensland it is now our wet season and that also brings the cyclones with it. Will they not let you work in the rain or is it your choice?

I havent read the whole thread sorry but did you find it hard to get work? I keep reading quite a lot of posts online saying how hard it is to find work now

yesh I have found contracted work. What type of work are you referring too? General jobs in the city or harvest work?

Weather wise it depends where in Queensland you are. For us up North Queensland it is now our wet season and that also brings the cyclones with it. Will they not let you work in the rain or is it your choice?

The paddy fields get very wet as the tractors always turn the soil, so the ground soaks up the water pretty well. So you can get stuck in there when it rains, so were not allowed to work. Well I guess we could work, but everyone else included the farmers leave, so you wont get paid either :(.

yesh I have found contracted work. What type of work are you referring too? General jobs in the city or harvest work?

The paddy fields get very wet as the tractors always turn the soil, so the ground soaks up the water pretty well. So you can get stuck in there when it rains, so were not allowed to work. Well I guess we could work, but everyone else included the farmers leave, so you wont get paid either :(.

I've saw posts that were meaning both types of work. Guess it comes down to luck sometimes