Trip reports of a guy on a WHV

tingtongman

Currently at the sunshine coast now, driving up north, not sure how far north though. After leaving Brisbane, Airbnb/hostel prices are crazy high, might have to sleep in the car one night to avoid paying high fees. Will look at them again later.

Shelly Beach

12509480924_b7ebf8cf18_c.jpg

Ewan Maddack dam

12509024795_550319923e_c.jpg

Glass house Mountain, small bush fire at the time, so you cant see much

12509535334_3fe1ee8b82_c.jpg

Thinking of heading to rainbow beach next or hervey bay, but not sure on plan.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This blog is brilliant, I check it every day for new piccies and updates. Im travelling out on my own in September and will be looking for regional work asap for my extension. Im still trying to decide where to land. Any advice where to land would be most appreciated. Looking forward to exploring this wonderful country.

This blog is brilliant, I check it every day for new piccies and updates. Im travelling out on my own in September and will be looking for regional work asap for my extension. Im still trying to decide where to land. Any advice where to land would be most appreciated. Looking forward to exploring this wonderful country.
My girlfriend & I are heading out in September aswell, were flying to Sydney. Got family there & will be attending a wedding. Once that's done with we'll take it from there where we go, maybe Melbourne.

in Sydney after a 15 drive. Car breaks down 5 seconds safer crossing the Sydney bridge, I forgot to put water in the water tank and that caused the enginge to over heat, im stupid!

. Park car wrong way round get fined $169.

currently in a house that has no wifi so no pics sorry. will give full update soon with pics

in Sydney after a 15 drive. Car breaks down 5 seconds safer crossing the Sydney bridge, I forgot to put water in the water tank and that caused the enginge to over heat, im stupid!

. Park car wrong way round get fined $169.

currently in a house that has no wifi so no pics sorry. will give full update soon with pics

If your engine has overheated keep your eye on it. It might start overheating again and if it does get rid quick before something seizes up.

Unlucky with the fine.

If your engine has overheated keep your eye on it. It might start overheating again and if it does get rid quick before something seizes up.

Unlucky with the fine.

it was because we didnt put water and coolant in before our 1200km trip, our fault! It ran amazing all the way. I think a pipe burst, just need to get it fixed ( i hope)

Bondi

12632673824_811f677217_h.jpg

Fair play on finding the job so quick! How do you do it?!? Does it help having a car?

yes it helps having a car. The reason I got this job was due to the car. Another factor is when the add was placed, if it was placed 1 mintue ago, and you ring first, you have a 50% chance of getting the job. If its been up 25mintues, perhaps 5%<

Get a car between 2-4 people, that way the costs are lower. Having a car will greatly increase the chance of you landing a job.

Started looking for a job at 9am, at 9:02am I had a job picking ginger. Starting tomorrow in Yadina, I hope its gonna be easy!

I have to say I look forward to your posts because you seem to be the antidote to people who struggle to find a job. Clearly, you'll go pretty much anywhere and take what there is, but it's good to see someone who's basically getting off their backside and making it happen.

I have to say I look forward to your posts because you seem to be the antidote to people who struggle to find a job. Clearly, you'll go pretty much anywhere and take what there is, but it's good to see someone who's basically getting off their backside and making it happen.
Yeah you cant be too picky. Apparently ginger picking is meant to be rough, I drove 2 hours for the interview, which was "okay see you tomorrow". Then i used a wifi spot to find me an house, and tomorrow I start work. I will give it my best, hopefully I can last till the season is over, only 2-3 weeks. Feel like I have to work given my last 1 month of travelling, I still have to upload the pics, I will do it as and when.
So if you can't drive you have much less chance of finding work?
I wouldn't say that, my first job was without a car, that took me 5 days to get. Having a car gives you a bigger pool of jobs to get. more fish in the barrel, the better chance you have of shooting one. Edited by tingtongman

yes it helps having a car. The reason I got this job was due to the car. Another factor is when the add was placed, if it was placed 1 mintue ago, and you ring first, you have a 50% chance of getting the job. If its been up 25mintues, perhaps 5%<

Get a car between 2-4 people, that way the costs are lower. Having a car will greatly increase the chance of you landing a job.

That is true, only issue is without having a car is getting to the places where and when they come available, as if you say you'll be able to get there in a day or two, sometimes they'll give the job to someone who will be there before you.

As for getting a car, how does the reg work as if you buy it in one state and you travel to another, don't you need to change the reg or something? Also do you get basic insurance with reg so I've heard? Or do you need to take out insurance?

I'm an aussie supporter now so "we" won.:wink:

You lose track of who is playing for England and you see all the players in the news and things here, so you know who they are. It's just easier to support where you live and call home.

The climate took no getting used to at all. Loved it from day1.

It's a long drive to anywhere from Perth. I'm talking days not hours btw, it takes 6 hours to get down to the South Coast, Esperance. Good thing is as soon as you're out of the City you can switch the cruise control on and it's a pretty relaxing drive with very little traffic. I would suggest though, coming to Perth, having a look round and see if you can get a job and then flying over East and buying a campervan there. I think they would be cheaper there too, a lot get sold on by other travellers in Sydney especially. Seen loads for sale around the backpackers places near Kings Cross every time I stay there.

Good luck.

An Aussie supporter : O ha no I can understand it and if you've lived somewhere for 22 years it must be hard not too. Cheers for the Perth advice. Will may be get a vehicle elsewhere.

And cheers for the updates ting. Reading with interest.

As my ginger job ends a lot shorter than I planned due to infected crop I will be looking for other work shortly. I have been told stawberry planting is starting soon in the Sunshine coast. I got off to a lady called "Sue", she is a contractor. Very nasty women, told me I HAD to stay in her accommodation as thats how she "makes her money" off backpackers. Their will be no work for 10 days but you must still live their and pay her during that period she said. I questioned and asked about the pay, she told me "this job is not about earning money, its more about me signing off your 2nd year visa after you are here for 8 weeks". I just hung up the phone then.

Anyway if you are here or plan on doing strawberry picking, I would stay away from her, im sure their are many more who are more trustworthy and legit, but if you hear the name "Sue", I would keep away.

Edited by tingtongman

As my ginger job ends a lot shorter than I planned due to infected crop I will be looking for other work shortly. I have been told stawberry planting is starting soon in the Sunshine coast. I got off to a lady called "Sue", she is a contractor. Very nasty women, told me I HAD to stay in her accommodation as thats how she "makes her money" off backpackers. Their will be no work for 10 days but you must still live their and pay her during that period she said. I questioned and asked about the pay, she told me "this job is not about earning money, its more about me signing off your 2nd year visa after you are here for 8 weeks". I just hung up the phone then.

Anyway if you are here or plan on doing strawberry picking, I would stay away from her, im sure their are many more who are more trustworthy and legit, but if you hear the name "Sue", I would keep away.

Nasty - sounds like the one PQ posted about a few days ago - someone called Don I think? Parasites.

Guest The Pom Queen

Maybe we need to start a sticky thread, I don't want it to be a name and shame but maybe a caution if considering......... Person, like you have above.