Trip reports of a guy on a WHV

tingtongman

yeah should be getting cooler very soon.

our 88 days are nearly up, we are going to stay another week or two anyway to save a bit more cash.

We are thinking of Gold coast or Brisbane as our next base to find work.

Are jobs a plenty in both areas? ideally looking for FT work, not bothered in what. any tips or advice?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah should be getting cooler very soon.

our 88 days are nearly up, we are going to stay another week or two anyway to save a bit more cash.

We are thinking of Gold coast or Brisbane as our next base to find work.

Are jobs a plenty in both areas? ideally looking for FT work, not bothered in what. any tips or advice?

I think the chance of jobs are a bit higher on the Gold Coast for WHV holders. Plenty of bars and cafe's and even hotels to go at. Good fun place and good beaches if it gets hot. Prefer the Sunshine Coast myself but don't know what the job situation would be like. I reckon I could handle a few weeks in Noosa on a WHV easy.:yes:

I wanted to check out the SC myself, but I think more jobs at the GC. My friend wants to do office work or something that pays pretty well and I think would rather go to Brisbane. However I think its less likely we will find a really good job there due to us being on a WHV.

I am up for any kind of work, long as I am getting good hours.

Noosa?

I wanted to check out the SC myself, but I think more jobs at the GC. My friend wants to do office work or something that pays pretty well and I think would rather go to Brisbane. However I think its less likely we will find a really good job there due to us being on a WHV.

I am up for any kind of work, long as I am getting good hours.

Noosa?

Top end of the Sunshine Coast. Had a day there when we were over on holiday a few years ago. All the Sunshine Coast was nice, lots of places to go but Noosa just felt a bit classier, had good surf and beaches and is close to the rainforest too. Would be a great place to stay if you could get a job. Heck there's loads of places for you to have a go at mate, I've travelled around Aus a lot, been lucky to have the job I have and seen places at works expenses mostly. I like all the cities apart from Canberra, couldn't live there myself as I like being close to the Ocean too much.

I've also been to quite a few smaller places that you might not have considered, Townsville and Darwin both have a fair number of travellers and Hostels and are great places. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up.:cool:

Top end of the Sunshine Coast. Had a day there when we were over on holiday a few years ago. All the Sunshine Coast was nice, lots of places to go but Noosa just felt a bit classier, had good surf and beaches and is close to the rainforest too. Would be a great place to stay if you could get a job. Heck there's loads of places for you to have a go at mate, I've travelled around Aus a lot, been lucky to have the job I have and seen places at works expenses mostly. I like all the cities apart from Canberra, couldn't live there myself as I like being close to the Ocean too much.

I've also been to quite a few smaller places that you might not have considered, Townsville and Darwin both have a fair number of travellers and Hostels and are great places. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up.:cool:

Although Darwin is chockers with back packers during the season. Mitchel Street is teeming with the travelling folk. Certainly adds a bit of colour to the inner city but work could perhaps be competitive to find? I'm not up with the latest on that and I personally found it easy at the time.

Thanks paul, helpful as always, when the time comes to leave this place I will look into them things. Not sure if you read my blog at all or not, but I really dont like travelers (well most, not all), so less the better for me haha.

storm hit us last night, not good idea living near a lake, when the town you live in is known for flash foods....

11813870954_4b8cbcd21a_c.jpg[font=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][color=#37404e][/color][/font]

I found a job easy in Brisbane. And loved it.

Quite a few of the people I met there struggled and ended up not liking the place. It seems that if you can find a job there then it's a great place, if you can't people move on with a bad idea of the place. There are quite a few car auctions that take in foreigners to detail cars, CCA was one lots of my friends worked at, and also there's a food warehouse type thing called LAGO (I think) that also employed a fair few foreigners (mainly scandinavians as they are used to the cold in the freezers!)

I ended up in a pub, working as a chef, but since I had experience it was easy to get the job, if you've got any bar experience it'd be a bit easier to get a job there, but where I worked they got 10-20CVs a day from backpackers, ended up employing a few, so it's only really luck if you're on the top of the pile when someone leaves.

hi ting,

i'm gonna be in gold coast in about a week on a WHV looking for jobs. i think there's a lot of options better than picking fruits/veggies and that pay better too. i'm down to meet up with you too if you're game. i'm currently in Korea finishing up a year of teaching english, but can't wait for the gold coast!

hi ting,

i'm gonna be in gold coast in about a week on a WHV looking for jobs. i think there's a lot of options better than picking fruits/veggies and that pay better too. i'm down to meet up with you too if you're game. i'm currently in Korea finishing up a year of teaching english, but can't wait for the gold coast!

I am bit of a introvert, but I dont see why not. Wont be untill I have landed a job though. After watching too much Curb your Enthusiasm I am not really a people person any more, but after I get a job, yeah would be cool :)

Got one week left here then I wll be off, currently looking for jobs in the Queensland area, hopefully closer to the coast. Main sites I use are SEEK/Gum tree and My carrer, any other good ones to find casual employment?

We had a bit of mini mini flood the other week when it started raining

11813870954_4b8cbcd21a_c.jpg

Lazy ozzies haha

11039178904_d7e8a00a04_c.jpg

Sounds great, also keep an eye on this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacker-job-vacancies/

yeah i check them quite often :)

Good luck mate. Call centre eh! Ever seen the documentary from Wales called call centre? It's funny. Not a place I would choose to work but would deffo do it travelling. Give you a chance to see some of the GC.:cool:

yes I have seen it, very funny, would be great if it was anything like that. I got the impression for the advert on this one thats its a high staff turn over kind of place. Anyway im going in with a positive outlook. If the place has aircon and no onions/pumpkin in site, im happy with that for now lol

yeah i check them quite often :)

yes I have seen it, very funny, would be great if it was anything like that. I got the impression for the advert on this one thats its a high staff turn over kind of place. Anyway im going in with a positive outlook. If the place has aircon and no onions/pumpkin in site, im happy with that for now lol

I think all call centres are pretty high staff turnover. It's not exactly a career move.:cool:

For anyone wanting to come to the GC, it is a bit quiet at the moment. I spoke to a few of the job agencies and they said maybe come back in a month or so.

I may actually head back into rural Oz, Im starting to miss it, but this time I will buy a car, so on weekends I can visit places. I was making just shy of $3k a month while I was there.

Its either get a car and go back into the bush, or head to Sydney, will need time to think about it.

Cheers for letting us know and best of luck with whatever you decide. Your posts have been really useful, as well as interesting for us folk who plan to head to Oz.

Have you thought about buying/hiring a campervan to live and travel around in? We are thinking about it but not sure how feasible or expensive it is.

Cheers for letting us know and best of luck with whatever you decide. Your posts have been really useful, as well as interesting for us folk who plan to head to Oz.

Have you thought about buying/hiring a campervan to live and travel around in? We are thinking about it but not sure how feasible or expensive it is.

yes I have and I might do this in the comming week, may start looking for a car if me and my friends decide to get one.

How many are in your team? I would say 3-4 is a good number, the shared costs are low, and investment is not so big compared to the gain. 2 or less I wouldn't bother too much unless you dont mind each putting in $1.5k into the car as an asset to sell at a later date.

petrol is currently about $1.55 a liter (may be wrong?)

The average runnable cars start from around $2k+, not sure about Campervans. Yes you can get cars cheaper than $2k, but that is the budget you are looking for to get something that wont break down after a day.

Ps: I know very little about cars

There's only me and my gf, so I appreciate you saying it would be expensive, particularly with petrol when travelling long distances.

But we thought we would save money by getting a campervan and sleeping in it, plus it's great to explore.

Like you I know very little about cars but the freedom it gives you is a very big pro for them.

Appreciate this is hard to answer (but I'll still ask!), have you got a favourite place you would recommend first-timers to visit?

to sleep in a camper van you need to park it in an appropriate spot, (cant sleep on the side of the road or a street).

If you want to travel alot a camper-van is a good idea. But remember when you buy a camper van $3-5k, can you still afford to travel with $3-5k invested in that car, if you can, then sure get one, but if money is going to be a concern, I would hold off.

As for places to visit, its hard to say I have only seen a bit of Brisbane and Gold coast. I do enjoy the GC so i would say thats worth a look.

A lot of travellers get and estate car with a mattress in the back. Not a great deal of space but if you can stomach it cheaper to invest in. As a couple you'll be paying approx $80 a night accomodation so if you spend $2k on a car it's well worth it, taking into account the cost of travelling between places too on a bus/plane. Apparently 'camp 7' guide book I think it is, gives you the places you can stay for free and the average camp site will be $30-40, less even so it can be cost effective if you do it for a while, a car is less conspicuous pulled over than a camper too apparently if you're prepared to 'squat' for a night (though illegal!). Even if it doesn't really save you at least you're on the road as it's easy to get comfy somewhere and stay. Lots of people advertise for passengers to share costs too. You will face a problem parking in cities though but I think if you want to stay in a city for a week or so you can get inexpensive parking in offsite airport parking.

This is what I want to do next, being in the road will be awesome!

If you want to go city to city look at relocations, but you will be driving hard and not seeing a great deal of the countryside but it's better than an overnight bus as you at least get a taste of the road.

Good luck with your trip!