My English self is antisocial so I'm trying to change!

Iscashe

I have to point out to the OP that this does depend on your location in Australia.

I have tried to count the number of days in the last year when it was too hot or too wet for me to spend time outdoors. I think it was precisely 4! :wink:

But you live in Tasmania....Hardly the 'Australian Dream':laugh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But you live in Tasmania....Hardly the 'Australian Dream':laugh:

There happen to be a lot of Poms living here who are very happy...including quite a few who first settled in other states but moved when their 'Australian Dream" didn't materialise there.

There happen to be a lot of Poms living here who are very happy...including quite a few who first settled in other states but moved when their 'Australian Dream" didn't materialise there.

Just as well.....makes up for all the youngsters who clear off to the mainland as soon as they are able

Just as well.....makes up for all the youngsters who clear off to the mainland as soon as they are able

So ...:SLEEP:tell us something we don't know about all island communities.

That's nothing new at all. When I finished university in the 60's I left to see the world and work elsewhere too...as did almost everyone I knew.

In fact, if I were Dictator, I would make it compulsory to leave for a while.

Most come back when they are ready to settle down, buy property and have children.

Well gosh, thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, folks!

i think you'll find I said England is depressing, not that I'm depressed...I meant in terms of politics, weather, costs, economics, and a future for my bright 2 year old...

i crave the outdoorsy lifestyle because I've been a horserider since aged 6 but can't afford enough land in England to own a horse. I've been lucky enough to learn to dive but live too far from reefs in England, the sea here cold. I've lived a year in Saudi Arabia so can deal with hot like maybe even Aussies haven't experienced...

so please, don't be quite so quick to judge me from one paragraph, which was an attempt to introduce myself in brief!

and thank you for the answer to the original question, after giving me the lecture :chatterbox:

Hi

First off you dont need to live in the Outback to have land big enough to own a horse, we moved 7 years ago, live on acreage in a part of Brisbane that has lots of horse owners. Acerage property around here sells from $350 upwards depending on size and state of house. Realestate.com will give you a good guide, search using our postcode of 4280 and you will see what i mean.

We too wanted to move for better weather, we tried Spain first but settled on Aus and havent looked back yet. The kids enjoy the outdoor lifestyle and overall it is much more pleasent to do the stuff you enjoy in the sun.

Lots of luck with your visa and don't be put off, many of us made the move for similar reasons to you and years in are still very happy they did.

Cal x

Hi

First off you dont need to live in the Outback to have land big enough to own a horse, we moved 7 years ago, live on acreage in a part of Brisbane that has lots of horse owners. Acerage property around here sells from $350 upwards depending on size and state of house. Realestate.com will give you a good guide, search using our postcode of 4280 and you will see what i mean.

We too wanted to move for better weather, we tried Spain first but settled on Aus and havent looked back yet. The kids enjoy the outdoor lifestyle and overall it is much more pleasent to do the stuff you enjoy in the sun.

Lots of luck with your visa and don't be put off, many of us made the move for similar reasons to you and years in are still very happy they did.

Cal x

Sadly not many MH jobs in QLD at the moment, a colleague made the move from Perth and could only find agency work - she's now returned to Perth.

Welcome to the forum Iscashe

Your reasons for moving sound logical and similar to thousands of others including myself who have succesfully made the move...will I was happy in myself in the UK my day to day routine did not stimulate me nor satisfy me..I have achieved a moderate increase in the all elusive quality of life,

If you research areas carefully you will find that living on acreage is indeed achievable and popular here. The trade off will be distance from cities and limits ofn job opportunities but I expect you have already worked that one out

While outdoor time is definitely easier here there are times when the weather stops play...not to the same extent as in rainy Britain though in my experience.

Best of luck with it all...persevere with the forum, it seems the tone is a little different these days and cautionary tales are more prevalent than enthusiasm without bars...not a bad thing at least eyes will be open...research research research and look outside of the box..I wish we had done before our hasty move..we are happy in the city but I know a move to the country from the outset would have been better for us.

Well gosh, thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, folks!

i think you'll find I said England is depressing, not that I'm depressed...I meant in terms of politics, weather, costs, economics, and a future for my bright 2 year old...

i crave the outdoorsy lifestyle because I've been a horserider since aged 6 but can't afford enough land in England to own a horse. I've been lucky enough to learn to dive but live too far from reefs in England, the sea here cold. I've lived a year in Saudi Arabia so can deal with hot like maybe even Aussies haven't experienced...

so please, don't be quite so quick to judge me from one paragraph, which was an attempt to introduce myself in brief!

and thank you for the answer to the original question, after giving me the lecture :chatterbox:

It is important to be realistic. Property prices in Australia have risen hugely, especially if you want land for a horse.

A bright 2 year old (aren't 't they all at that age?) will do just as well in the UK as here.

If you want to live near the reefs to dive, then be prepared to have a lot of money to invest in an expensive property. If not, then do remember that Australia is a vast country and air fares are not cheap.

Lots of people here are struggling to find jobs and as for politics, well it 'ain't' great.

As for costs? Well it is far more expensive to live here than in the UK.

So, you lived in Saudi for a year and think you can deal with the hot more so than Aussies - not sure I understand the relevance of that comment. Parts of the outback here are commonly in the 40's and 50's.

Being realistic is the best approach when considering emigrating.

Sadly not many MH jobs in QLD at the moment, a colleague made the move from Perth and could only find agency work - she's now returned to Perth.

It is the same with a lot of professions at the moment, things are quieter and to an extent you do have to go where the work may be more readily available ,although for many its hard to pin point those areas until your here, if your not going the sponsorship route. I was more pointing out you don't have to live a million miles from civilisation in the middle of woop woop to afford a property big enough to keep a horse.

The QLD / NSW border is another area with some reasonably cheap acreage property if you go in land a few mins, this would also give access to either QLD or Northern NSW public health services and quite a few private clinics.

Cal x

My advice would be to have a look at where the jobs are and then research those areas. Don't make the mistake that many seem to make of only considering the capitals.

IMO the best places to live in Aust are in areas typically described as regional areas - although regional doesn't mean no people or services. Often overlooked by migrants these days (perhaps because they don't know anything about them) they can offer good work opportunities (depending on the sector), more affordable housing and wonderful lifestyle opportunities. Many can be found within a couple of hours drive of the capitals if you want to take advantage of going to the theatre etc.

Aust is huge and offers many different climates - I've lived in most of them and have never felt the need to stay inside for days, weeks or months. If you don't like extremes in weather there are numerous temperate areas.

This site is great for some info but many who post and consider themselves experts on Aust have only experienced living in one place - consider the depth of their experience (or lack of it) before taking too much notice of their comments.

Good luck whatever you do and wherever you end up.

My advice would be to have a look at where the jobs are and then research those areas. Don't make the mistake that many seem to make of only considering the capitals.

IMO the best places to live in Aust are in areas typically described as regional areas - although regional doesn't mean no people or services. Often overlooked by migrants these days (perhaps because they don't know anything about them) they can offer good work opportunities (depending on the sector), more affordable housing and wonderful lifestyle opportunities. Many can be found within a couple of hours drive of the capitals if you want to take advantage of going to the theatre etc.

Aust is huge and offers many different climates - I've lived in most of them and have never felt the need to stay inside for days, weeks or months. If you don't like extremes in weather there are numerous temperate areas.

This site is great for some info but many who post and consider themselves experts on Aust have only experienced living in one place - consider the depth of their experience (or lack of it) before taking too much notice of their comments.

Good luck whatever you do and wherever you end up.

Very true that some on here have only lived in one place. The country is huge. I have lived in the outback for a number of years, regional areas for a few years and finally metro areas.

Regional can still be very isolating though and the mistake some make, is to equate an English country town with that of an Australian town - they are infact very,very different.

Research is the key, however, it may be that you just have to go where the jobs are and that may not be next to a reef or lots of affordable land.

I completely agree with Freckle re the looking at regional areas a few hours from a city. I think those areas can offer many migrants the lifestyle they seek with affordable property to boot...I was only saying to the OH a few days ago that had we known more before we came about areas and choices of lifestyle we would definitely have gone regional. Good call Freckle.

Hello all,

Thanks for the many and varied responses. It seems I somehow gave the impression of not having done any research and having woolly notions about a utopia of diving and riding all day...so let me set the record straight!

We are thinking of moving to Adelaide, where the weather is not either too hot to go out or constantly raining, but fairly temperate. I have looked at jobs and worked out a range of my potential earnings, used a tax calculator to work out monthly pay, looked at. Aussie mortgages, and looked at multiple real estate agents listings, so have a realistic idea of what would be affordable. I currently live by the sea in Devon so am used to inflated house prices without London wages!

I have looked at local schools in Adelaide. I have looked at costs of living and understood that certain things are indeed far more expensive in Aus, but am used to living fairly simply and love cooking with in-season produce so see this as a fun challenge.

I have lived in several different countries in my life, travelled fairly extensively and have no rose-tinted specs...my lack of them is exactly why I'm a bit nervous, because I am fully aware how difficult it can be to adjust to a whole new life!

Oh, and Riyadh, where I lived in Saudi, was at least 40 degrees for over 6 months, with many days topping 50 degrees, so yes I feel able to say I can cope with it!

Glad to hear from people on here that do feel positive and have a better quality of life...there are no guarantees for me but I'll never know if I don't try...life's an adventure and we only get one! Sorry for some of you that things don't sound so good.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer. Thanks for all the useful bits of advice, I may head over to Poms in Adelaide now!

:-)

I was an Avid sun lover when I came to Brisbane 7 years ago. Just back from 5 months in SE England and appreciate I had an exceptional summer. Was out every day walking appreciating the brilliant sunshine and varied landscape. Found spirits incredibly high and my only complaint was too much to do in too little time. Back now and the heat has hit me like a brick wall. I'm tied here for another year, and then I'm heading back. For me the work situation is a pull back to the UK but I also get quite depressed in Oz about my lack of choice and freedom - for instance we can't afford holidays as a family apart from camping - great at first, but gets a bit boring. I don't want to put you off as it's great to have an opportunity to experience life here and have a bit of adventure. But sunny days aren't everything and for me can't make up for the richness of life and opportunity in the UK. We're all different!

I agree with Rupert. He/she has hit the nail on the head. Australia can in some ways be worse then the UK in terms of weather. Have you thought how you will manage when it's too hot to go outdoors for days/weeks on end? Or when it rains, and rains, and then rains some more for good measure? The climate isn't like Cornwall all year (I don't mean to sound patronising and hope I don't sound so). It can be relentlessly hot. And have bouncing rain. And the people aren't special in anyway because they live in Australia. They are like the people you find in the UK. Some (like me :wink:) you will like and others, you just won't. You won't magically make friends when you step off the plane. In fact, having seen a few Nothing to Declare's on TV, you might be more likely to incur a $330 fine but that's a whole different story. Is your life really so bad in the UK? I think you need to think about what you hope to achieve, other then an outdoorsy lifestyle as if that's the case, move to Jersey or France where the weather is more conducive to being outdoors x

ETA to ask - Rupert, are you a he? Or a she? Or, oh Lord, both???? xx

ETA - Rupert, you and the other mods are so good and do a terrific job. Gtg, cointreau calling xxx

Only a pom could say "It's to hot to go out for days/weeks on end". What absolute bloody piffle!

You must never have conversations with Aussies then as I hear that every summer.

Yeah right. Not once in near 50 years here and all of us our outside every day with the horse, no matter what the weather is doing. So are the other 50 or so agistees, and one of 'em is a very elderly pommy lady.

Lincolnshire is way ahead of Queensland...and Canberra or Tasmania...what is yout point?

Lincolnshire was good for nothing but runways (bomber bases). You really must up your game son!

Archived