My English self is antisocial so I'm trying to change!

Iscashe

Hello! Me, hubby and toddler have finally decided that England is too depressing, and in my job (mental health nurse with 15 yrs experience) life would at least be warmer, if not better, across the globe...but realising that even though we are generally not hugely connected with family in UK (phones are nice, visits are stressful!) we would love to make connections in Oz because we really crave that outdoorsy lifestyle, chilled approach and general optimism...so decision is made. Going to go for a 189, am well qualified, any ideas on time scale to touch-down?

xx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, I hate to be negative on your first post but I think your reasons for moving are all the wrong ones. If you find life depressing, moving to Australia won't cure that, because it is not the country that is depressing, it is the person that is depressed or bored or pessimistic. Likewise Australia will not make you outdoorsy, you either are or you are not. Australian weather is just as challenging as UK weather, if not more so, it is all about being prepared for the weather and those that are inclined to be outdoors will prepare accordingly. As to chilled approach and general optimism, people are people, some are chilled, some are optimistic, I haven't found on the whole any more chilled and optimistic people here than I have anywhere else.

I think you need to think about this a little more, forget the cliches and check there are some solid pull reasons to Australia. Pull reasons are better than push reasons like "UK is going to the dogs" which we see from time to time.

To your question, nursing registration takes about four months, then maybe four or five months for everything else including IELTS. From there up to you, of course processing times for various things can change significantly, at the moment visa processing is running quite fast.

I agree with Rupert. He/she has hit the nail on the head. Australia can in some ways be worse then the UK in terms of weather. Have you thought how you will manage when it's too hot to go outdoors for days/weeks on end? Or when it rains, and rains, and then rains some more for good measure? The climate isn't like Cornwall all year (I don't mean to sound patronising and hope I don't sound so). It can be relentlessly hot. And have bouncing rain. And the people aren't special in anyway because they live in Australia. They are like the people you find in the UK. Some (like me :wink:) you will like and others, you just won't. You won't magically make friends when you step off the plane. In fact, having seen a few Nothing to Declare's on TV, you might be more likely to incur a $330 fine but that's a whole different story. Is your life really so bad in the UK? I think you need to think about what you hope to achieve, other then an outdoorsy lifestyle as if that's the case, move to Jersey or France where the weather is more conducive to being outdoors x

ETA to ask - Rupert, are you a he? Or a she? Or, oh Lord, both???? xx

ETA - Rupert, you and the other mods are so good and do a terrific job. Gtg, cointreau calling xxx

Well gosh, thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement, folks!

i think you'll find I said England is depressing, not that I'm depressed...I meant in terms of politics, weather, costs, economics, and a future for my bright 2 year old...

i crave the outdoorsy lifestyle because I've been a horserider since aged 6 but can't afford enough land in England to own a horse. I've been lucky enough to learn to dive but live too far from reefs in England, the sea here cold. I've lived a year in Saudi Arabia so can deal with hot like maybe even Aussies haven't experienced...

so please, don't be quite so quick to judge me from one paragraph, which was an attempt to introduce myself in brief!

and thank you for the answer to the original question, after giving me the lecture :chatterbox:

I think you need to think about this a little more, forget the cliches and check there are some solid pull reasons to Australia. Pull reasons are better than push reasons like "UK is going to the dogs" which we see from time to time.

Agree with your post and the tone of the OP did imply that not much thought had gone into the decision but curious about the solid pull reasons. For us it is primarily the climate. Hate cold, like hot. Have lived in England for 53 years. England is a great country IMO and we have good jobs and a good life but it is all just too safe, too predictable and too cold. No strong family ties in UK so that would not be an issue for us. By this definition I do not have strong pull reasons to go but I am feeling an irresistible pull nevertheless. We discuss it endlessly. What pulled you to Australia?

i think you'll find I said England is depressing, not that I'm depressed...I meant in terms of politics, weather, costs, economics, and a future for my bright 2 year old...

i crave the outdoorsy lifestyle because I've been a horserider since aged 6 but can't afford enough land in England to own a horse. I've been lucky enough to learn to dive but live too far from reefs in England, the sea here cold. I've lived a year in Saudi Arabia so can deal with hot like maybe even Aussies haven't experienced...

so please, don't be quite so quick to judge me from one paragraph, which was an attempt to introduce myself in brief!

and thank you for the answer to the original question, after giving me the lecture :chatterbox:

I know what you said and if you read my response, you will see that I said a country cannot be "depressing" only the person that is depressed or bored or pessimistic. And you can take the reaction anyway you want, but the best way to take it would be in the well meaning way it was intended. This is a massive decision and your reasons need to be clear and solid, yours are not.

I will retire from the thread, I thought you wanted some good advice, I can see you just want platitudes. I don't do them.

Hello! Me, hubby and toddler have finally decided that England is too depressing, and in my job (mental health nurse with 15 yrs experience) life would at least be warmer, if not better, across the globe...but realising that even though we are generally not hugely connected with family in UK (phones are nice, visits are stressful!) we would love to make connections in Oz because we really crave that outdoorsy lifestyle, chilled approach and general optimism...so decision is made. Going to go for a 189, am well qualified, any ideas on time scale to touch-down?

xx

Iscashe don't be completely distracted by above comments/posts. They are meant in good faith and are the result of many people arriving with what are commonly referred to as rose tinted glasses.

Any place has its downsides, and that is the message. Not to say Australia will not be a hugely positive step, but come prepared and ready.

The weather and outdoors really depends on what you are after (some places are so hot you really end up stuck in side).

The biggest issue people find is the result of a lower population base which results in higher costs per capita and lower employment opportunities.

A lot of UK TV programs are decades out of touch with house prices and cost of living etc. Here are some links that may assist with your research:

Jobs: http://www.seek.com.au

Cars: http://www.carsales.com.au

Houses: http://www.realestate.com.au

There will be others able to post other sites but this will give you a start:-)

There are also plenty of posters that can give you details about different outdoor activities, fishing, skiing, 4wd, team sports.

For all its negatives and positives come prepared and you will have a positive impact.

I know what you said and if you read my response, you will see that I said a country cannot be "depressing" only the person that is depressed or bored or pessimistic. And you can take the reaction anyway you want, but the best way to take it would be in the well meaning way it was intended. This is a massive decision and your reasons need to be clear and solid, yours are not.

I will retire from the thread, I thought you wanted some good advice, I can see you just want platitudes. I don't do them.

I too am retiring from this thread as I don't feel OP is seeing the realities of life in Aus which can be harsh, especially in the outback which is about the only place he/she is going to be able to afford to keep the horse. Plus after 1 litre of cointreau and half a litre of Jagermeister I am probably not in the best frame of mind to give advice. I wish he/she luck in the future. Just a tip, wear a helmet when horse riding x

Guest guest30085

Hi Iscashe

Welcome to PIO

There are a few nurses who post who have either been through or currently going through the process. I'm not a nurse, so have no idea on the process.

We all move, or want to move, for differing reasons, and I think they are all valid, everyone is different after all! Please feel free to keep posting any queries you have, there are plenty in the same position and can answer your questions.

Which area do you think you may want to head to? Best of luck with your plans x

Agree with your post and the tone of the OP did imply that not much thought had gone into the decision but curious about the solid pull reasons. For us it is primarily the climate. Hate cold, like hot. Have lived in England for 53 years. England is a great country IMO and we have good jobs and a good life but it is all just too safe, too predictable and too cold. No strong family ties in UK so that would not be an issue for us. By this definition I do not have strong pull reasons to go but I am feeling an irresistible pull nevertheless. We discuss it endlessly. What pulled you to Australia?

Ok I will answer you and then retire from the thread. :wink:

I moved because I have the wanderlust, travel is an important part of my life and I wanted to base myself this side of the world so that I could explore it and Australia of course. I think that is a solid reason because it is based on fact, i.e. it is a fact that I like travel and it is a fact that Australia is based on the opposite side of the world. I think that you have an irresistible urge is also a fact. That people in Australia are more chilled out and outdoorsy and all have acres to ride horses :eek: is not a fact.

The tone of the OP (that would be me) was intended to be a shy, vaguely humourous attempt to introduce myself to a forum. Clearly it was an epic fail as it has received immediate criticism. Guess my British sense of humour is wonky :-/

I'm British and I didn't find it funny.......if you really want to see 'depressing' wait until you experience working in the MH system over here.

Guest guest30085
Ok I will answer you and then retire from the thread. :wink:

I moved because I have the wanderlust, travel is an important part of my life and I wanted to base myself this side of the world so that I could explore it and Australia of course. I think that is a solid reason because it is based on fact, i.e. it is a fact that I like travel and it is a fact that Australia is based on the opposite side of the world. I think that you have an irresistible urge is also a fact. That people in Australia are more chilled out and outdoorsy and all have acres to ride horses :eek: is not a fact.

You are being very presumptuous about someone's decisions to move based on a few lines they have written. I also feel that this new poster is going to be completely put off from using what can be a fantastic site for help and advice. The OP is a mental health nurse, Im sure she's educated enough to research a country she's thinking of moving to and also lives in reality enough to realise that it isn't paradise. Her reasons for moving don't sound much different to most people on here, neither do I think she is deluded, just merely trying to gain an insight.

Rupert, I see you are a moderator. I am perplexed by your responses. I don't think I asked for platitudes at any point, just an answer to a timeline question, which you gave, and I thanked you for.

i joined this forum today. I am nervous about moving. I have many reasons for and against, and I could write a 10000 word book about them.

The part I chose to post on was titled "welcome! Introduce yourself". I tried to write something quirky and individual, whilst asking a question, hoping that people who had been in this position might remember the awkwardness of trying to introduce oneself to strangers, but without being boring.

Hopefully, there may be others on this forum who don't have such an instant negative reaction...

i think you'll find I said England is depressingdon't that I'm depressed...I meant in terms of politics, weather, costs, economics, and a future for my bright 2 year old...

i crave the outdoorsy lifestyle because I've been a horserider since aged 6 but can't afford enough land in England to own a horse. I've been lucky enough to learn to dive from reefs in England, the sea here cold. I've lived a year in Saudi Arabia so can deal with hot like maybe even Aussies haven't experienced...

Hi Iscashe, you didn't strike me as someone who is jumping into this blindly and have obviously already researched the visa types. I don't know about the process for nursing registration but was wondering where in Oz you might choose to live.

We've been in Adelaide for over 20 years and still consider it Australia's best kept secret. Contrary to popular belief, it does not rain and rain and rain all over the country. We have a Mediterranean climate here, perfect outdoorsy climate for approx 10 months of the year and very family friendly. The beaches are great and there are lots of great diving spots close to the metro area. Also, our dog breeder has recently bought 2.5 acres with 3 bed brick house and shedding for $350k, just a 40 minute drive to Adelaide city centre, 15 to 20 minutes to northern suburbs, 40 minutes to beach.

If Adelaide is on your radar, join http://www.pomsinadelaide.com as well. There are loads of nurses on there who have already made the move.

Best of luck, Kazza

The tone of the OP (that would be me) was intended to be a shy, vaguely humourous attempt to introduce myself to a forum. Clearly it was an epic fail as it has received immediate criticism. Guess my British sense of humour is wonky :-/

Sorry Iscashe, I mistook the humour for flippancy. The responses you did get I know were intended to be well-meaning and not a lecture. It is such a huge move and many have clearly undertaken it on a false premise based on numerous threads on this forum. Most objective posts on the forum will testify that the economy is in no better shape currently on average than in the UK. Politics is the same everywhere I am sure. Property costs vary across Australia but seem higher on average than most regions in the UK so you may find a property with land for a horse near enough to where you work tricky. Like you I feel that generally hotter weather is more conducive to an outdoor lifestyle though I know there are plenty of hardy types (not me) who revel in being outdoors from November to March in the UK.

Hi Iscashe and welcome to the forum. Please do not be put off by your first venture onto this forum. Like society in general, you will find all sorts on here, some warm and welcoming and some cold and grumpy (and before I get shot down too, that isn't a description of any of the posters on this thread so far!!). Your reasons for wanting to move here are yours alone, but they are not far from what many others would put high on their lists too. But beware the rose-tints as others have said. I came for similar reasons to Rupert (love the travel and adventure), but at the end of the day you have to live here and Australia has it's fair share of problems too. Quoting directly from your OP, one thing I will agree with in both respects is that "life would at least be warmer, if not better, across the globe". Keep posting, this place is a great source of information and some of the posters will make you laugh as well as cry. Good luck.

I agree with Rupert. He/she has hit the nail on the head. Australia can in some ways be worse then the UK in terms of weather. Have you thought how you will manage when it's too hot to go outdoors for days/weeks on end? Or when it rains, and rains, and then rains some more for good measure?

I have to point out to the OP that this does depend on your location in Australia.

I have tried to count the number of days in the last year when it was too hot or too wet for me to spend time outdoors. I think it was precisely 4! :wink:

xx

Hi and welcome :biggrin:. There are not guarantees as to the timeline of a visa, they might process it quickly or take their time ( especially since you`ve lived in the Middle East, I suspect that`s what bumped us but hopefully won`t be such in your case). Nursing registration took a month to process for both me and my husband, the trick is to have everything right the first time you send it and that send it to a smaller office ( all state capitals have AHPRA office and the license is valid in all states). I was advised to send my application to either Darwin or Adelaide, I`ve sent it to Adelaide and voila, letter of eligibility arrived 4 weeks later . Will you be doing IELTS to boost your points score for 189? If so, you don`t need to get that letter that you were educated in English for your license application. Good luck with everything.

Archived