No bank cards for 457 visa holders

FHGC2013

Hi all,

We (me, OH and toddler) are very soon to go to Oz on a 457 visa. We were about to open an account with Westpac, only to be told that, because we are on a 457 and in serviced accommodation for the first couple of months, we won't be issued with bank cards (either debit cards or credit cards until we have a permanent address in Oz). This will leave us unable to access our money from ATMs throughout this time. This is despite being able to prove that we have a permanent work contract and a significant monthly salary and despite being told at the Migration show we attended in the UK that this would not happen. Same story with NAB. I can sort of understand the rationale for credit cards in case you leave OZ with unpaid bills, but for debit cards used to withdraw money out of your own account?!?! Then the story changes each time you speak to a different bank rep. All we want is to be issued with at least debit cards as soon as we arrive so we can access our money at our convenience and for written confirmation of that being the case to be given before we open an account with whichever bank we choose, but that seems quite a tough thing to achieve. Has anybody encountered this and how did you get around this? Thanks for your help.

The best l can remember is you can open a Westpac account in uk, BUT only once u r in Australia go to a major Westpac for example to activate your account giving ur address and id etc they will allow you to draw out money from your account. Cant remember if we had to wait to get our debit cards or not sorry, We also had to go to the bank to activate our card as it was our first one. don't know about a credit cards but we didn't have a problem.

Hi all,

We (me, OH and toddler) are very soon to go to Oz on a 457 visa. We were about to open an account with Westpac, only to be told that, because we are on a 457 and in serviced accommodation for the first couple of months, we won't be issued with bank cards (either debit cards or credit cards until we have a permanent address in Oz). This will leave us unable to access our money from ATMs throughout this time. This is despite being able to prove that we have a permanent work contract and a significant monthly salary and despite being told at the Migration show we attended in the UK that this would not happen. Same story with NAB. I can sort of understand the rationale for credit cards in case you leave OZ with unpaid bills, but for debit cards used to withdraw money out of your own account?!?! Then the story changes each time you speak to a different bank rep. All we want is to be issued with at least debit cards as soon as we arrive so we can access our money at our convenience and for written confirmation of that being the case to be given before we open an account with whichever bank we choose, but that seems quite a tough thing to achieve. Has anybody encountered this and how did you get around this? Thanks for your help.

I have had no issues opening accounts while on WHV, 457 in Australia with only a locked bag address. Opened NAB account holding PR visa before went to Australia, with no address, picked up cards from branch once arrived.

There are thousands of backpacker in Australia every year that have no problem getting accounts.

Try opening migrant account with NAB and picking up cards from branch.

Guest Rebecca at NAB

Hi

Sorry to hear you have had lots of different answers from different bank reps.

With our NAB migrant banking process we will arrange for an EFTPOS card (similar to a debit card, just without online capabilities- can be used at ATMs and in shops) to be waiting for you at a branch. A visa debit card can then be arranged for you once you have activated your account.

If you would like me to explain our process more then please send me a message or feel free to call our office on 0141 958 7533.

Regards

Rebecca

NAB Migrant Banking

Hi all,

Hi all,

I opened a Westpac account while I was still in the UK. I called their London office and they were able to send my EFTPOS cards to me at my UK address. Might be worth giving them a call.

That's ridiculous. Like Danmon I opened a Westpac account from the UK, presented my identity docs. to the London branch within six months and they sent the ATM cards to my home address in Wales. This despite the fact that I have no intention at present of emmigrating, have only my daughters address in Australia and only wanted the account for convenience on holidays. I still have the account.

If I were you I would ring the Westpac branch in London and ask their advice.

I've had no problems with westpac. Opened the account in UK, prearranged an appointment time to go in once I got here and then collected my cards from one of their branches a few days later (I could have collected it sooner but I couldn't get to a branch sooner than a Saturday). Definitely got the cards before a permanent address as the lady at the bank actually printed stuff off for me with regards our bank account to help me secure a rental.

I think picking up cards as you arrive in branch is normal - to make sure you are there. And there is often confusion over a lot of things in Australia! No one knows what they are doing ;) But when you get here, you should be able to get your cards within a day/few days.

Otherwise it looks like you can get them sent to the UK (from other posters)

Finally - just keep calling the same number till you get someone that can help. Amazing how it works in Oz!

Archived