Britain will have the best-performing major economy in the developed world

simmo

More great news for everyone returning to the UK

Britain will have the best-performing major economy in the developed world for the rest of the year, an international watchdog said yesterday.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development said it expects growth of more than 0.9 per cent in the UK between July and September and around 0.8 per cent in the final quarter of the year, as the recovery gathers pace.

The projections are stronger than anything seen in Britain since early 2010 and better than the growth rates expected in the US, Canada, Japan, Germany, France and Italy.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britain will have the best-performing major economy in the developed world for the rest of the year, an international watchdog said yesterday.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development said it expects growth of more than 0.9 per cent in the UK between July and September and around 0.8 per cent in the final quarter of the year, as the recovery gathers pace.

The projections are stronger than anything seen in Britain since early 2010 and better than the growth rates expected in the US, Canada, Japan, Germany, France and Italy.

I recall absolutely no improvement in the UK economy is 2010.. If anything it got worse!! :confused:

Aah, I see what you mean...:laugh:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/28/business/oecd-quality-of-life

I still think my link from the WMF is more accurate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Good link! I see from this:

UK has better work life ballance, less murder/assult rates!!, better quallity of environment, better community (social support network), jobs neck and neck with aus, better household income and financial wealth...

I thank you!!:ssign5:

Daily Mail? Well, there is a difference between prediction (speculation) and reality. I just read yesterday that the Australian economy grew 0.6 per cent between April and July. Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/election/a/-/article/18779337/australian-economy-grows-0-6-in-april-june/

Interested to know who will be working in this new revitalised economy, will it be the new migrants from other EEC countries or will the north get refurbished and provide employment for the long term unemployed. If its pushing paper around like the last flush of growth can only see optimism for part of the population. Still I suppose the paper pushes can pay more tax for the unemployed.

What is needed world wide is training for unskilled people and jobs at the end of the training. We are always going to have people who have different levels of education and competence and the scrap heap is not the place to put them.

Singapore comes to mind everyone works, they have to but they employ people to do stuff not machines, China employes all its people as best it can. Downsizing is a dirty word in my book, downsizing just makes a small proportion of people well off.

Cynical I am.

Interested to know who will be working in this new revitalised economy, will it be the new migrants from other EEC countries or will the north get refurbished and provide employment for the long term unemployed. If its pushing paper around like the last flush of growth can only see optimism for part of the population. Still I suppose the paper pushes can pay more tax for the unemployed.

What is needed world wide is training for unskilled people and jobs at the end of the training. We are always going to have people who have different levels of education and competence and the scrap heap is not the place to put them.

Singapore comes to mind everyone works, they have to but they employ people to do stuff not machines, China employes all its people as best it can. Downsizing is a dirty word in my book, downsizing just makes a small proportion of people well off.

Cynical I am.

you still need unskilled workers and to be honest there are people who just do not want to get skills. If you create a society where everyone is skilled, who will sweep the streets, empty trash etc. ? Or would you rather see immigrants coming in to do these jobs?

What is needed, bring back manufacturing into the UK. Tax companies double who use child labour in developing countries to make British products etc. Create job opportunities and retain and treasure smart people from leaving to USA etc.

You've mentioned the North, but with the current Scottish independent movement I am not sure how long can you count on the North. I think Brits and Scots are both ignorant to think that they can do better without each other. Regardless, if Scotland becomes independent that will impact the UK economy.

People often confuse realism with pessimism, and I am only being realist. It will get better eventually. Markets and economies are roller-coaster rides...

Its just that a lot of people who live in the north did not get a job in the last boom times. World wide its more difficult for older people who lose their job for economic reasons to reskill, retrain and get another job.

My sister has an allotment and she kept it on after her oh died and the neighbouring allotments are all in the hands of men to have not worked for over twenty years, why because they were made redundant and there has never been new jobs for them to do. Its very easy for us when employed and having a nice life to say why do they not do this and that, but if we walk in their shoes its a different matter.

Everyone is better off when they feel useful.

if its sooooooo great why dont you enjoy ur time in the uk rather than gripe about oz???? very strange sitting behind a keyboard muttering about how great uk is.... very weird.

Just one of the very sad poms on this forum. They weren't up to it here, but just cant get over it.............

Is there still a car industry in Britain? Do they still have potteries? Any steel? Or did Thatcher see all those things off?

yes, but most major ones such as Jaguar, Land Rover, Bentley and MG (now resurrected) under foreign (Indian, German, Chinese) ownership. Nissan and Honda also build cars here and think Ford does vans (but engines for certain). Naturaly Holden's sister brand Vauxhaull still around.

You have also niche cars such as Aston Martin, Morgan, Catherham etc. Yepp, still doing better than Oz in this area.

Archived