Britain will have the best-performing major economy in the developed world

simmo

Good link! I see from this:

UK has better work life ballance, less murder/assult rates!!, better quallity of environment, better community (social support network), jobs neck and neck with aus, better household income and financial wealth...

I thank you!!:ssign5:

you must be so full of pride and nationalism to be living and working in the uk.

why waste your time harping about it on a forum dedicated to people moving to Australia, away from the utopia in which you inhabit?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
And isn't Australia been downgraded from 4.5 to 2.5 or thereabouts for the predicted growth for this year?

Still significantly more than the UK?

Australia has had 21 years of continuous economic growth, one year it's economy grew by a whopping 9%. It's good to see Blighty coming out of this 5 year long recession and stagnated growth, maybe just maybe ........ We might get a pay rise for the first time in donkeys years. YEAH BABY YEAH.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
All you go on about is payrises. Maybe you should be more grateful that you have a decent job with a pension etc.

Like the MPs who are getting 10% ???

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Well im just saying your in a better position than a lot of people

I know, but I haven't had a pay rise in 5 years, along with millions of others, here's hoping we get a pay rise at last, now the economy is growing.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Useless Labour set on over a million extra public sector workers and this evil Tory government axed them, even though they had kids, mortgages, loans etc. I don't suppose it matters, it's only ruined lives.

Having been a civil servant without any form of pay rise for years before I left I can assure you it's not that we went grateful for a job but with inflation and no pay rise we were worse off year in year out and our wages at my level anyway were already way below average ! Certainly no fat to be trimmed in our department , for ever pound spent we saved the UK economy triple !

Having been a civil servant without any form of pay rise for years before I left I can assure you it's not that we went grateful for a job but with inflation and no pay rise we were worse off year in year out and our wages at my level anyway were already way below average ! Certainly no fat to be trimmed in our department , for ever pound spent we saved the UK economy triple !

Welcome to the real world, the private sector where you work hard to get a pay rise not expect one ever year like a public sector worker. Hoff being a perfect example.. " not had a pay rise for 5 years" how about all the private sector workers who have had pay cuts over the last 5 years..???

All of my Aus contrctors working here have had pay cuts recently. My drilling crews received an email from their head office that they were getting a 10% pay cut immediaty and my geophysics contractors had there pay cut a month ago by 25%. If, in the unlikely event my job is saved (i will know in just over a week) then it it will come with a pay cut of up to 40%.

All of my Aus contrctors working here have had pay cuts recently. My drilling crews received an email from their head office that they were getting a 10% pay cut immediaty and my geophysics contractors had there pay cut a month ago by 25%. If, in the unlikely event my job is saved (i will know in just over a week) then it it will come with a pay cut of up to 40%.

Quoting %ages is all well and good, but if you posted the before and after salary, it would be easier to determine where you stand relative to the population as a whole. Anyone who was interested could still work out the ratios for themselves. If you don't disclose the dollar amounts, then people will naturally think that you're trying to present a biased argument.

I expect the cutting of costs,( wages and salaries) in particular will become a regular feature in the near future. Business is positioning itself up for it for some time. There are always those willing to work for less and little can be done in the present climate to prevent reductions.

It'll definitely happen. FIFO wages in particular will drop. Base salaries will lessen and uplift percentages for working FIFO will reduce and the companies employing people's attitude will be 'if you don't like it then tough!'.. There will be plenty of other people willing to do it..

The mine I am working on at the moment has a contractor working on it on a project. The company I work for tendered for the same project but lost out to the said company by quite a large % in price.. The other company bid very low and we could not compete at a price where we wouldn't be making a loss.. The reason being that all their staff on site are foreign and look to be from India, the Philippinness etc and I can guarantee are getting paid significantly less than Aussie's and Brits. As the market gets tighter I can see this becoming more common.. Some people that have never experienced the tough times are in for a shock I think.

Quoting %ages is all well and good, but if you posted the before and after salary, it would be easier to determine where you stand relative to the population as a whole. Anyone who was interested could still work out the ratios for themselves. If you don't disclose the dollar amounts, then people will naturally think that you're trying to present a biased argument.

Ok. My geophys guys were on $140k. They are now on $105k

Drillers it depends on job. A diamond driller was on $110k They are now on $99k.

I am on $205k (If i keep my job) i will be on $123k

Drillers work 2 months on 1 month off, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day.

I and the geophys do 5 weeks on 2 weeks off and 1 week in the office, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day

Archived