Britain will have the best-performing major economy in the developed world

simmo

Ok. My geophys guys were on $140k. They are now on $105k

Drillers it depends on job. A diamond driller was on $110k They are now on $99k.

I am on $205k (If i keep my job) i will be on $123k

Drillers work 2 months on 1 month off, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day.

I and the geophys do 5 weeks on 2 weeks off and 1 week in the office, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day

Well, hats off for actually coming up with the numbers.

And I'm not disputing that they work hard and anti social hours. But, I hope you would agree that 40% off 205k is easier to stomach than 40% off 85k. You might counter that it's just as bad because you've got used to spending it, and may have taken out long-term loans based upon always earning in that region. To that, I would argue that you could still reign in expenditure and dispose of assets that you have accumulated in the good years, whereas people earning down the other end of the scale cannot.

I'm not trying to say that you are somehow to blame, or that you deserve it. Simply that you're in an industry that has boomed, and that therefore is liable to the corresponding bust cycles.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might seem like a lot. But, per hour it isnt.

On the 40% cut, i would be on the same sort of hourly rate as i would get working in a bar.

Add in the fact we are away from home for long periods.

Living in a tent

Working in with inherrent dangers of the job (drill rigs are the most dangerous equipment even on an active mine)

Living with disease - we have had 6 cases of malaria and one of typhoid in the last month

Dangers from civil unrest - the area has kicked off a few times. Most recently half a dozen police were killed.

Have the highest snake incidence in the world - we have up to half a dozen a week. There was a puff adder in the loo the other night.

Then, i will be pretty unhappy about the 40% cut. I dont have any debts or things, so that is not an issue. It would, for me, be probably just too much to make it worthwhile doing it.

On the 40% cut, i would be on the same sort of hourly rate as i would get working in a bar.

Add in the fact we are away from home for long periods.

Living in a tent

Working in with inherrent dangers of the job (drill rigs are the most dangerous equipment even on an active mine)

Living with disease - we have had 6 cases of malaria and one of typhoid in the last month

Dangers from civil unrest - the area has kicked off a few times. Most recently half a dozen police were killed.

Have the highest snake incidence in the world - we have up to half a dozen a week. There was a puff adder in the loo the other night.

Then, i will be pretty unhappy about the 40% cut. I dont have any debts or things, so that is not an issue. It would, for me, be probably just too much to make it worthwhile doing it.

thanks for putting up some facts and figures about wages VS....What people here in the u.k fail to realise is ,when you are on big money in oz , you have to earn it , i know i had brief stint on the construction

My mates will be in our local at 4pm , they dont know how lucky they are .....

.....All due respect to those that want to earn the money .....i cant be arsed anymore .

i earn a decent living here in the U.K , there is no way , i would work weekends now ....sod it

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/06/uk-manufacturing-growth-industrial-production-ons

Depends who you read what you believe doesn't it? This seems to suggest things are not so rosy over in the UK just now.

You are probably right starlight , we are coming from such a low base .......there are many things that are not right here in the u.k , but it is better than it was .

Wages for the young .....immigration ......dont get me started

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The facts are regarding wages in the UK and Australia, are that in Australia average wages have gone up by about 20% over the last 5 years, compared to average wages in the UK going down. Like I said, now that things are picking up a bit in the UK, lets hope we get a pay rise at long last.

The facts are regarding wages in the UK and Australia, are that in Australia average wages have gone up by about 20% over the last 5 years, compared to average wages in the UK going down. Like I said, now that things are picking up a bit in the UK, lets hope we get a pay rise at long last.

If you lived in Australia and Australia went into a recession which lasted 5 years .. How many pay rises do you think you would get in them years...??

Guest The Ropey HOFF

No perhaps about it, I would have had a 20% rise in the last 5 years, you lot sure are lucky living in the land of plenty.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Do you think the cost of living stands still....?

The cost of living, inflation has been similar in Australia as it has been in the UK, in the last 5 years, the only difference is average wages have gone down in the UK but gone up by a whopping 20% in Oz.

The cost of living, inflation has been similar in Australia as it has been in the UK, in the last 5 years, the only difference is average wages have gone down in the UK but gone up by a whopping 20% in Oz.

Now though Hoff, there doing it here - my proffession has seen average wage falls of 27% in the last 6 months. Its not just people not getting rises but people being told they have to take big pay cuts.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Now though Hoff, there doing it here - my proffession has seen average wage falls of 27% in the last 6 months. Its not just people not getting rises but people being told they have to take big pay cuts.

It does seem as though the mining industry is not booming as much as it was, but it's just a tiny fraction of the working populas, average wages have gone up by about 20% over the last 5 years, it's likely average wages will go up again this year as well. The wage gap has increased considerably between the UK and Australia over the last 5 years though, which is great news for those who are thinking about emigrating.

...... It would, for me, be probably just too much to make it worthwhile doing it.

Once again, the answer lies in the question.

Get a job working in a bar, if the hourly rate is really the same. I suspect you calculated this by using a 14 hour day for your job. But I doubt that you're really on your feet for 14 hours. And if you are, great, you'll find 14 hours in a bar an absolute breeze.

I'm not denying there are hardships which attract a premium (again). But you work in a privileged job where you make hay when the sun shines. And you've clearly done that because you have no debts, so well done for that. But griping on because your wage has gone from extremely good to merely better than average doesn't get much sympathy. Of the 6 police who were killed, what was their average wage?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It will be interesting to see if average wages have still gone up in Australia this year end, next April, or if they have come down like they have in the UK over the last 5 years, I can't see Australia's economy struggling for a full 5 years, like the UKs economy has, the last I heard, Australia's economy growth was predicted to be higher than the UKs next year and it's likely average wages there will still go up.

It will be interesting to see if average wages have still gone up in Australia this year end, next April, or if they have come down like they have in the UK over the last 5 years, I can't see Australia's economy struggling for a full 5 years, like the UKs economy has, the last I heard, Australia's economy growth was predicted to be higher than the UKs next year and it's likely average wages there will still go up.

I don't think the economy will struggle at all. It'll just throttle back from the stellar growth that it's shown up to now. But for many, that will _feel_ like a struggle. And that will go on for 5 years or so. Concerning wages, or anything else, they've already gone down 20% globally as a result of currency movements. It means we'll pay a bit more for holidays abroad and petrol, but we'll still have jobs. And I believe the prevailing conditions will encourage people to stay in their jobs longer, which might not be a bad thing.

Guest littlesarah

I heard from a friend and former NHS colleague the other day for information that may help them in their current situation, they are being 'consulted' about having their jobs down-banded (without a corresponding reduction in responsibility), not because they don't deliver high-quality healthcare, but because it's either pay everyone less and continue to run the service or pay fewer people less, have a shambolic service, and then have the organisation go into administration. I'm not talking about people who sit around all day doing nothing - we restructured the service years ago to prioritise patients and deliver measurable outcomes. We consistently scored highly in patient satisfaction and cure-and-discharge rates, we implemented new ways of working to improve patient care, but apparently it's back to being about numbers again. :wacko: No doubt I'd be absolutely delighted if I was in the position of having a 10k a year pay cut unrelated to my performance. My prediction is that many will leave public health altogether, never to return, and it will again be like the mid-90s, where departments were staffed by new grads with minimal experience, those who are counting down to retirement and those who are too stubborn to leave but who are completely disenfranchised.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Spending Review: Public sector to lose automatic rises in pay

COMMENTS (1877) 26 June 2013

Andrew Neil has the headline announcements from George Osborne's Spending Review Continue reading the main story

Spending Review

Spending Review: At-a-glance

The Spending Review and you

Spending cuts: Progress so far

Millions of public sector workers face losing automatic annual pay increases as part of an £11.5bn cuts package unveiled by Chancellor George Osborne.

Another hammer blow to the likes of newly qualified, nurses, teachers etc and any future would be public sector worker. My wife's friend who is a newly qualified district nurse is devastated by this news, she has just got a huge mortgage and was thinking she would struggle financially for a few years, but eventually with her increments rising, she would be able to manage, but Georgie boy is stopping all this. The police and prison service are setting on Officers on £5,000 a year less and it's hitting many other public sector jobs hard. As long as the MPs get their 10% rise, that's all that matters.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
and it's hitting many other public sector jobs hard

Welcome to the real world - why does the public sector think that it immune from the cutbacks. Thanks to Gordon Brown, the UK has a bloated public service sector which we just can't afford anymore

Your right, 1.5 million UK public sector workers have lost their jobs in the cut backs and that figure is still going up.

Archived