Unpaid Credit Card In Oz

Rugby77

Hi,

I recently maxed out my credit card to buy a car online. since then, the car has a major fault and have lost my job. I am here on a 417 WHV and want to fly back to the uk . I cannot afford to pay the credit card , and before you awnser this thread, i do not make it wright at all. But i am very short of options.

The card is for 4K AUS.

Please can someone tell me would it affect my credit rating in the uk and would they try to catch me in the uk?

Thanks

Rugs:no:

Hi,

I recently maxed out my credit card to buy a car online. since then, the car has a major fault and have lost my job. I am here on a 417 WHV and want to fly back to the uk . I cannot afford to pay the credit card , and before you awnser this thread, i do not make it wright at all. But i am very short of options.

The card is for 4K AUS.

Please can someone tell me would it affect my credit rating in the uk and would they try to catch me in the uk?

Thanks

Rugs:no:

A quick google search shows that trying to chase someone for money once they've left the country is very difficult as apparently even Court Judgements aren't enforceable overseas without going to the Court in that country and mostly, Courts don't seem to uphold civil debts from another country. The pertinent word in that sentence being mostly.

I'm a bit baffled as to why you bought a car whilst on a WHV but that's life and you live and learn. If you genuinely can't afford to pay once you get back to the UK, then you have to just hope that it doesn't come and bite you in the bottom at a later date but it's never advisable to skip out without paying your debts as these things have a way of coming back to haunt you, especially if you later on try to go back to Australia as I don't know for 100% certainty that DIAC won't check your credit later as part of a character check and you don't know that either.

Either way, good luck with things and I hope things get better for you my dear x

Thanks so much movingto tasmania.

I was flying 2 months ago, and it was advertised cheap online. obviously cheap for a reason. i planned on staying alot longer, but its very hard when your in debt on the other side of the world.

Rugs77

I think it's very wrong for banks to give any form of credit to WHV holders with the sporadic work and likelihood of them leaving the country that's madness.

well banks are in the business of lending money.

The borrower has a responsibility too to be sure they can afford the loan, bearing in mind possible future changes of circumstances.

I'm shocked they even gave you a credit card on that visa to be honest.

The lack of looking at the suitability of clients by credit companies is nothing short of astonishing. They bring it on themselves in their greed if you like. I have known folk to max out cards knowing they could not pay back nor caring just prior to going bankrupt. OP has little to concern about if leaving country.

well banks are in the business of lending money.

The borrower has a responsibility too to be sure they can afford the loan, bearing in mind possible future changes of circumstances.

Banks are or should be in the business of protecting their assets. Sadly for the rest of us as has been seen this is far from always the case. Banks are confident of bailouts (to big to fail) and as such accountability is sometimes in question. Most business could not take such risks.

Guest Guest16631
Just annoys me this attitude of its not my fault its always someone elses fault.

The bank doesn't force you to take a loan.

You want it, you approach the bank. Make sure you can afford it.

.........but sometimes it is someone else's fault.....

.........your boss for you losing your job...

..........or yes yours .....for becoming ill and unable to work....

.........we cannot see into the future.....

.........and can only hope we will always be able to pay back the loan......

.......I am sure those who loose houses....cars....even dignity and having unpaid bills.....

.........would rather not be in that position........ime.....and IMO.......tink x

Edited by Guest16631
Spelling....

I would look at the legalities of the sale of the car depending on how recent it is and see if the credit card have insurance like you would on both counts In the UK. How long ago did you buy the car and is the problem inherent and not caused by you, could be foreseen?

If Aus doesn't have the same consumer law as the UK then sell the car for whatever you can get for it and continue to make the minimum payments until in a position to pay back more. That way, what £40 a month will save you from any potential legal action, never being able to return to Aus and potentially not being able to get credit in the future.

if 5yrs down the line you can't get a mortgage with your wife and kids because you got a car and ran out on a bill in Australia you'll be mighty p'd off! Not worth the risk I say.

Tempting as it may be, for £2.5k minus whatever you can get for the car, over how ever long a payment period, it's not worth it.

If you've used a credit card to buy the car then I assume you have bought it from a dealer? Check if there is a warranty associated with the car - the garage that sold it to you may be able to help you fix it (if it's fixable). Our first car in Oz had a major radiator fault the week after we bought it. The garage paid for half the repair work.

If you've used a credit card to buy the car then I assume you have bought it from a dealer? Check if there is a warranty associated with the car - the garage that sold it to you may be able to help you fix it (if it's fixable). Our first car in Oz had a major radiator fault the week after we bought it. The garage paid for half the repair work.

Very good point actually if you bought from a dealer you are protected by the consumer laws to a certain extent, I'd call Legal/Consumer Aid for advice its free after all!