lots of advice needed

beanbear

Hi,

We are a family of four who have lived in Adelaide for five and a half years and are now considering a move back to the UK next year. My husband is completing a masters, which will finish next July and the plan would be that he then look for a job. It is a daunting prospect to say the least. The wages seem not to support the cost of travel and mortgage we would need - our house in Oz wouldn't give us much equity, so we would be going back down the ladder in terms of borrowing.

I am a teacher, but would like to do something related, but not in the classroom. It is a very draining profession in the UK and has got considerable more so, since we left. We have 2 children, the elder of whom would go back and be in the middle of GCSEs, which she'd not have done any of the course work for. Is this all sounding like a crazy proposition?!

The problem is we are at the stage where we are questioning the roots we want to put down and feel that we don't want to do it here in Adelaide. Also my husband's father is undergoing treatment for cancer and the future health of my parents are all issues (although they are fine currently). The final consideration is that if we didn't go back next year we wouldn't be able to get the elder child into Uni in the UK due to not having been resident for 3 years prior.

What should we do? There are so many things, people that we miss, but is it a stupid thing to do? How easy or hard have others in a similar position found it? Would there be well paid jobs (at least for him?), I could start from a lower point than my teaching salary.

I worry that the job market here is also going to be hit, so there is just no easy answer. I would be very grateful for any responses please.

Guest Guest55385

I empathise with the all "should we?" "shouldn't we?" "Is this the right decision", we have been in this limbo for 19 months. It was only 6 weeks ago when we visited the UK and everything felt GOOD that we realised where we belonged. When we went back, we almost forgot about Oz. That was a big key. Although there are plenty of things we dislike about the UK, the good outweigh the bad.

You're never too old to have a career change. Have you thought about private schools, private tutoring or even setting up your own Kumon centre? Or, scrap it all, apply for a totally different job like the prison service or community care?

Education; it might be difficult but I would contact the LEA and ask if the coursework is essential? Can she do it at her current school now, under supervision, after school hours?

Where there's a will there's a way :)

A lot of the exam boards are scrapping the coursework element due to the amount of "cheating" involved as parents generally did the work, not the kids. Get online and check with the exam boards. I believe EDEXCEL don't do coursework anymore and nor do AQA anymore. My son didn't do much coursework when he took his GCSE's 2 years ago and it was non existent for his AS and A levels. I'm pretty sure it's being phased out, so just double check x

I moved from teaching kids to teaching adults ( who were much more civilised!) and from there into community work, managing volunteers and finally managing a welfare agency. I was glad to 'escape' the teaching, never regretted it for one moment. Adults, even those with mental health problems ,are so much easier to work with than kids!

That sounds promising with the lack of coursework. She is working a year ahead of her correct year in many subjects so I'm sure she could slot in with a bit of work. Starlight is there anything needed when you switch from children to adults?

How have people found the job market recently in the UK? Also did people who've moved back find enough for teenagers to do?

That sounds promising with the lack of coursework. She is working a year ahead of her correct year in many subjects so I'm sure she could slot in with a bit of work. Starlight is there anything needed when you switch from children to adults?

How have people found the job market recently in the UK? Also did people who've moved back find enough for teenagers to do?

I have children ranging from primary age to (I can't believe I'm saying this) nearly thirty. Depending on what your kids like, there's a lot to do, well up in the North West anyway. Skiing, rock climbing, outward bound type clubs, (my kids are all very outdoorsy), horse-riding, ballet/dancing, ice skating, watersports centres, leisure centres. The list is endless. Karate, kick boxing etc etc. I think it all depends on where you live and what your interests are and whether you are fazed by bad weather or don't mind trudging around in rain and snow. Jobs wise for teens, my 18 year old has 3 part time jobs, which he works evenings and weekends, for a well known hotel group doing silver service waiting, a UK hotel chain as a bar supervisor and a well renowned football club as a Match day VIP waiter and non match day VIP waiter too. As far as teaching jobs go, check out the TES weekly to give you a feel of what's on offer out there in the areas you're interested in. You may also be interested in something like School Direct and Premium Plus, depending on subject/age. There is also another scheme, I think it might be called Teach First, I can't remember the name of it but that would be a good route back in to teaching as if accepted, you're guaranteed a job. Amazon.co.uk sell some fantastic text books that would help her to "catch up", I can't remember what they're called, but I have some (now packed away) and I will root through and let you know what they're called. They aren't expensive either.

difficult with kids hey, but will be hard the one returning half way through g.c.s.e maybe having to resit exams due to half the time and pressure to get settled again. As for the older one can she not return early and stay with family so the problem of not being in country for 3 years does not arise x

Don't worry re the job situation. We lived In Adelaide for a bit and when we came bk- seriously we both got jobs. One of us does not have any qualifications, and it was still ok. Don't be put off by what others may tell you and the news etc. There are still plenty of decent jobs around. Trust me, I have done the leg work...

I think I would ask your daughters what they want to do. After all they are the ones who have to change schools, fit in again etc etc. I moved countries in such a year as your daughter is going to and it was a disaster for my education in fact I ended up leaving school. Of course school is not the end of education and there are many avenues to get qualifications after school but just be careful that your children are not just telling you what you want to hear.

Also there is news today that wages are reducing in the UK, no doubt you will get jobs people seem to have no trouble on return but maybe the wages will not be the same as they were.

I am not trying to put you off at all its very very hard being a migrant and as I have said many times being the first generation migrant is not for wimps. We always feel slightly different and not at home but that is the lot of migration and its supposed to be for our future family to have a better lifestyle than we have. That is what it has always been about with parents until the latter generations have decided that its all about them.

I look at my two grown children now and they were born here and they are so settled and happy and that is all we can ask for in life to see our children happy and settled. Its the lot of parents.

Whatever you do get citizenship before you leave I have seen so many people regret not doing so later down the line.

You really have seen so many regret not getting citizenship? How would you know they regretted it unless they were personal friends?

You really have seen so many regret not getting citizenship? How would you know they regretted it unless they were personal friends?

Wtf?? Is this question relevant to the thread? I think it may have been a turn of phrase but even so it was a piece of well intended advice.

Yes we do have citizenship, so that at least gives the kids the freedom to decide later on if they want to come back.I do hear what you're saying with the just saying what we want to hear, and the wages news means we will be less well off financially. Still much to decide!

I taught at a TAFE college- VCE English Lit. and also 'Back to Study' designed for mature aged women studying after a long absence. It was called the HSC then- a while back! We had a great time, small groups and very, very motivated students. I did have a B.Ed which was relatively rare then. I just applied, though I had worked in community houses for a while beforehand and I think that helped on the CV. I think it might be harder now, though- in those days you could get a lot of part time work.

You might want to talk to Caramac - she moved back with her kids at similar ages.

I do wonder if "putting down roots" gets harder if you've been a bit of an adventurer - good luck with your next move forwards no matter where it may be. If you do move on to UK I hope you find it as fabulous as I am finding it!

If you do move go in Summer. Nothing as depressing as a British Winter!

Not sure I agree with this, as the British weather is part and parcel of living in the UK and is unpredictable whatever the season. Winter can mean short days, grey skies, wind, rain, ice and snow, but it can also involve thick warm clothing, roaring fires, hot soups, snowmen, outdoor ice rinks, and loads of other stuff. Like most things in life it depends on how you see things, but if the thought of a UK winter really does seem a depressing prospect, that’s maybe something to factor in when weighing the pros and cons of a move back?

In terms of GCSE’s - where you settle in the UK could make a difference. This recent link might help to clarify some of the changes taking in place in England from September 2015 www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22854908 , but will not necessarily apply in Scotland, NI or Wales, where the devolved governments are responsible for their country's education arrangements. Tx

Not sure I agree with this, as the British weather is part and parcel of living in the UK and is unpredictable whatever the season. Winter can mean short days, grey skies, wind, rain, ice and snow, but it can also involve thick warm clothing, roaring fires, hot soups, snowmen, outdoor ice rinks, and loads of other stuff. Like most things in life it depends on how you see things, but if the thought of a UK winter really does seem a depressing prospect, that’s maybe something to factor in when weighing the pros and cons of a move back?

In terms of GCSE’s - where you settle in the UK could make a difference. This recent link might help to clarify some of the changes taking in place in England from September 2015 www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22854908 , but will not necessarily apply in Scotland, NI or Wales, where the devolved governments are responsible for their country's education arrangements. Tx

Not so good though for an aussie who hasn't seen much snow or cold weather and trying to find a job near Christmas is horrendous! Never again will I go as winter is starting...its March time for me! :)

Not sure if this will help as a bit out of touch now with the UK system, but our daughter was at ballet school in UK, we were living in Brunei then. She was very unhappy with the pressure and went to a new school for 5th form, but a boarding school. Totally different exam boards, but managed to get everything done in the year, and passed all 8 gcse's, but it was hard work. So it could be done then with a lot of support from the school.

Hope it works out for you.

Not so good though for an aussie who hasn't seen much snow or cold weather and trying to find a job near Christmas is horrendous! Never again will I go as winter is starting...its March time for me! :)

Not sure I can recommend March either, went back this year for Sprin?? after a very cold snowy icy Christmas visit a couple of years ago to the coldest March for 50 years!!!! I was frozen.

Not sure I can recommend March either, went back this year for Sprin?? after a very cold snowy icy Christmas visit a couple of years ago to the coldest March for 50 years!!!! I was frozen.

There always may be those rare occasions but winter is a definite avoid for me just as summer would be in Aus - wayyyy to hot in Perth!

Point taken Jen but the climate can be a deal breaker for some, and if just the thought of a UK winter is depressing then it might be a bigger issue than anticipated when considering a MBTTUK. I don’t dread the winter months, but I can see why some people might.

To the OP - this BBC link might also be worth a look as it tracks inflation, GDP, unemployment , house prices and interest rates in the UK.

Tx

www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

Archived