Job Cuts Australia

simmo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's an average, of course there's some places with low unemployment in the UK, but at 4.9% in Perth it means in some places there it will be close to zero percent.

It's an average, of course there's some places with low unemployment in the UK, but at 4.9% in Perth it means in some places there it will be close to zero percent.

There is zero unemployment in my cul de sac :laugh:

Its 5.6% in Perth, lots of places in Australia are lower than that and obviously lots are much higher, easily double and in some places treble that.

Is Perth where you are headed ?

Perth only has 4.9% unemployment the last I heard, in a lot of places in the UK it's almost double that, I'm not saying its not looking as good as say last year, but it's still better than here, so my relatives and friends say.

Its 5.6% in Perth, lots of places in Australia are lower than that and obviously lots are much higher, easily double and in some places treble that.

Is Perth where you are headed ?

Yes its 10,000 more unemployed since may (in Perth)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

WA unemployment rate rises on the back of mining downturn

10 May, 2013 Vicky Validakis.

Latest News

Western Australia’s jobless rate has hit highs not seen since the GFC, with many blaming the downturn in the mining sector.

WA’s unemployment rate jumped to 5.2 per cent in April, up from 4.8 per cent in March.

Figures were driven by a lift in the jobless rate of males in state which rose to 5.2 per cent, up from 4.6.

Nationally, the outlook was a little more positive, with an extra 50,000 people gaining employment over the last month, the West Australian reported.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that 34,500 full time jobs were created nationally through April with another 15,600 people getting part time work.

Elsewhere, the unemployment rate in NSW fell to 5.3 per cent, in Queensland (to 5.6 per cent) and in South Australia (to 5.7 per cent)

It lifted in Victoria (to 5.8 per cent), the Northern Territory (to 4.5 per cent) and Tasmania (to 7.5 per cent).

It was steady at 4.6 per cent in the ACT.

Macquarie economist Gabby Hajj said expects unemployment to rise in the coming months as he slowdown in growth in the mining sector would affects employment, The Australian reported.

"Over the past couple of years the resource sector has been responsible for almost all employment growth in Australia," he said.

"Now that's gone as an engine of demand for labour, the other sectors really have to step up to keep that rate of growth going but it just doesn't look like that's happening."

Treasurer Wayne Swan said a rebalancing in the labour markets was expected to occur.

"While Australia's unemployment rate remains one of the lowest in the world, we shouldn't be surprised to see some volatility in the period ahead reflecting the transition underway in our economy," he said in a statement.

"Over the next year or so, we expect to see the resource investment boom transition into the production and export phase, which is less labour intensive."

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Here's Junes figures, looks pretty good to me, especially in comparison to the UK.

Unemployment across states and territories was: NSW 5.6% (5.3% in April); Victoria 5.4% (5.8%); Queensland 5.8% (5.7%; South Australia 5.9% (5.8%); Western Australia 4.9% (5.3%); Tasmania 7.3%(7.5%; Northern Territory 5.1% (4.8%); ACT 4.1% (4.2%).

I was reading a story earlier after seeing this thread and it said that although the rate had fallen recently it was almost entirely part time work and fulltime unemployment had risen and wages were falling also. Its certainly not rosey anywhere nowadays. It is a worry.

What you also need to factor in is that most Poms immigrating to Oz don't have Australian work experience. That makes a big difference in the eyes of the recruiter. So not only will many be starting from scratch (with lower wages etc), but they will also be up against job seekers with significantly more local experience. Moreover, Poms who have just moved over do not qualify for job seekers allowance and their outgoings will be going through the roof as Australia is, as we all know, extremely expensive. As an Englishman, there is no doubt I would rather be unemployed and looking for work in the UK at the moment than Australia, 100%

The official unemployment rate is substantially higher in Brisbane than my region in SE UK. I got a job offer in UK whilst on holiday, in Brisbane in and out of casual work (IT) for a year and like many, never was counted as unemployed. It's people's experiences of job hunting that matters. In UK seems there is work for skilled IT. Don't know anyone in IT in SE UK out of a job or struggling. Mate in Brisbane advertised junior BA role recently, was swamped with applicants, many senior BA's included. Similarly, seems to be shortage of nurse vacancies in Brisbane. IT and nursing still on jobs in demand list for migration as far as I know. I wouldn't advise anyone in these fields to go to Oz without a job offer unless the have substantial savings to live off while they seek employment. Feel utterly sorry for those sucked in by streets of gold rubbish peddled to make a quick buck for those immigration profiteers.

Your last sentence is so true.

Guest Guest 47403
Here's Junes figures, looks pretty good to me, especially in comparison to the UK.

Unemployment across states and territories was: NSW 5.6% (5.3% in April); Victoria 5.4% (5.8%); Queensland 5.8% (5.7%; South Australia 5.9% (5.8%); Western Australia 4.9% (5.3%); Tasmania 7.3%(7.5%; Northern Territory 5.1% (4.8%); ACT 4.1% (4.2%).

We can only dream of figures like that in the UK, you can see why so many people want to emigrate to Australia.

There is obviously going to be a down turn in the Australian economy at some point the economic growth has been staggering the last few years in can't be sustained, it's needed to bring the housing market back in line.

I'd like to think most of the brits emigrating have done there research and know the state of the job market in there chosen profession :)

Lets face it some people will get a job no matter what the employment rate is, they are the ones who do a good interview, give all the spluff and it just works for them. We have one in our family, my brother. Others find it more difficult with the modern HR regime to keep HR people employed. Even though they would be better than the spluff merchant they fail to get the job. So they need the help of experts who teach them how to handle interviews etc. This is useful for all people and should be considered.

Banking is taking a hit in Melbourne, who knows why but with the Banks looking back over the last ten or so years, they change their minds about this all the time, they get rid of their legal departments, then get them back, send call centres here there and everywhere and then bring them back, same with the Telcos. So you could say that it is a new broom sweeping the offices and making their mark when these changes occur, they of course say its financial, but is it really, banks making money hand over fist.

IT also seem to be taking a hit as well but then again you have to look at the industry and every man and his dog works in IT of some description and the universities here are churning them out on a production line. So saturation is bound to take place.

The service industries, health is growing all the time as the population ages so there are always shortages for good practitioners. Again the hospitals are on tight budgets and they use a lot of casual labour so people have to know where they will slot into the work force. Are we assertive, do we like to take responsibility all that is important when looking at our job prospects.

Trades people in Australia for the most part are self employed. Looking at my neighbours six houses, five of them are self employed. So they are small businesses and use casual labour for their workers. Its just the way it goes these days. So the days of long tenure are no longer around.

Teaching in Victoria is contract based in the State system, most teachers are employed on one year contracts and despite the fact that we are supposed to be short of teachers, I do not believe we are. They increased the university intake several years ago and we churn them out on the conveyor belt now. All the mums want to be a teacher for the hours. So male teachers have the edge when jobs are on offer as they are the ones we are short of. Also all the nice places to live are down by the head with teachers and other professions. Its in the areas where its rural and outside of the main cities where the shortages are. However this is not appealing to people who are coming from UK as its so so so different.

So we have to know our own strengths, how easy has it been for us to get a job throughout out life and then we have some idea of what we face.

We can only dream of figures like that in the UK, you can see why so many people want to emigrate to Australia.

There is obviously going to be a down turn in the Australian economy at some point the economic growth has been staggering the last few years in can't be sustained, it's needed to bring the housing market back in line.

I'd like to think most of the brits emigrating have done there research and know the state of the job market in there chosen profession :)

If I was researching at the moment, I'd be tempted to think the market in Australia was fine. And the UK was flat. The reality is different. Some people are still looking at Seek, not realising that many jobs don't exist, or are lined up for someone. In IT there are hundreds of applicants for every job, and locals will definitely get first dibbs.80% of 2012 nursing grads in QLD are in non nursing roles or unemployed. If you're unemployed in the UK and can afford to take a risk then give it a go. But leaving a secure lifestyle in UK when Aus is starting to go downhill is bonkers at the mo IMHO

Jim don't quote figures mate, the unemployment figures are those claiming on centre link ( dhss) all migrants who haven't been here 2 years do t claim plus the. Folk who have small savings who can't claim they are very spurious figures

No...unemployment figures are based on employment surveys conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics...nothing to do with how many are receiving unemployment benefits.

It used to be counted that way but changed about 20 years ago IIRC.

No...unemployment figures are based on employment surveys conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics...nothing to do with how many are receiving unemployment benefits.

It used to be counted that way but changed about 20 years ago IIRC.

Yes it seems like Perth will cop the brunt of what is happening in the economy

Yes and it will get alot worse with 1500 people every week moving to Perth..One of the most boring places on earth.

Guest Guest 47403
If I was researching at the moment, I'd be tempted to think the market in Australia was fine. And the UK was flat. The reality is different. Some people are still looking at Seek, not realising that many jobs don't exist, or are lined up for someone. In IT there are hundreds of applicants for every job, and locals will definitely get first dibbs.80% of 2012 nursing grads in QLD are in non nursing roles or unemployed. If you're unemployed in the UK and can afford to take a risk then give it a go. But leaving a secure lifestyle in UK when Aus is starting to go downhill is bonkers at the mo IMHO

I work in IT there are hundreds of applicants for jobs in the UK too we recently advertised for a project co-ordinator offering £23k we had people applying who had run end to end multi million pound projects who had earned in excess of £60k a year. We advertised a position paying £35-40k for a team leader looking after the Active Directory team we had someone apply who had led the team that looked after AD for a FTSE100 company now he must have been on £75k plus. When we need developers we don't even advertise in the UK because we can recruit a better standard and cheaper from India on short term contracts. If we need a general desktop support bod we don't even advertise any more we leave it to the agency and get the pick of the bunch we used to pay £22 an hour in 2007........£13.50 an hour now!

I have been looking for work in Sydney for the last six weeks and have applied for loads of jobs that I would be ideal for. I haven't even had any replies let alone got to interview stage. I am seriously going to have to start looking for menial low paid work just to get some Australian experience and a bit of cash.

The official unemployment rate is substantially higher in Brisbane than my region in SE UK. I got a job offer in UK whilst on holiday, in Brisbane in and out of casual work (IT) for a year and like many, never was counted as unemployed. It's people's experiences of job hunting that matters. In UK seems there is work for skilled IT. Don't know anyone in IT in SE UK out of a job or struggling. Mate in Brisbane advertised junior BA role recently, was swamped with applicants, many senior BA's included. Similarly, seems to be shortage of nurse vacancies in Brisbane. IT and nursing still on jobs in demand list for migration as far as I know. I wouldn't advise anyone in these fields to go to Oz without a job offer unless the have substantial savings to live off while they seek employment. Feel utterly sorry for those sucked in by streets of gold rubbish peddled to make a quick buck for those immigration profiteers.

Very good advice and worth taking notice of

Is that London based? We struggle to find good people in Portsmouth. It doesn't help being on the coast as that halves our search area.

I work in IT there are hundreds of applicants for jobs in the UK too we recently advertised for a project co-ordinator offering £23k we had people applying who had run end to end multi million pound projects who had earned in excess of £60k a year. We advertised a position paying £35-40k for a team leader looking after the Active Directory team we had someone apply who had led the team that looked after AD for a FTSE100 company now he must have been on £75k plus. When we need developers we don't even advertise in the UK because we can recruit a better standard and cheaper from India on short term contracts. If we need a general desktop support bod we don't even advertise any more we leave it to the agency and get the pick of the bunch we used to pay £22 an hour in 2007........£13.50 an hour now!

Guest Guest 47403
Is that London based? We struggle to find good people in Portsmouth. It doesn't help being on the coast as that halves our search area.

No this is Leeds and Manchester.

Archived