Job Cuts Australia

simmo

Just a heads up..

Its not all rosey

About 1,500 people attended the Federal Government's jobs expo in Devonport, many saying they were desperate for work.

An estimated 600 resumes were submitted to stallholders but only about 150 people walked away with employment.

IBM Australia is reportedly set to cull up to 1,500 staff members as part of a global restructure plan announced in April.

Japan's biggest brokerage firm Nomura Holdings Inc <8604.T> flagged redundancies in its Australian equities team, in an internal memo seen by Reuters.

The ANZ Bank has confirmed it is considering sacking 600 staff in Melbourne.

Workers in all sectors—manufacturing, mining, construction, retail, services and finance—now live with the constant threat of losing their jobs, with little chance of finding alternative employment. For thousands of working people the axe has already fallen, condemning them and their families to a precarious and bleak future.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-21/government-defends-health-job-cuts/4771302

http://www.zdnet.com/au/ibm-australia-cuts-jobs-amid-disappointing-financial-results-7000017051/

http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/06/20/japan-nomura-cuts-australian-jobs-as-banks-trim-costs/#ixzz2WvtwnTm3

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-20/600-anz-jobs-on-the-line/4767070

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/06/12/jobs-j12.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holden announced this week it would try to slash wages at its car factories, warning that its future in the country was not guaranteed.

It has been in negotiations with union representatives on how to shed further costs from the loss-making plants.

Advertisement

''We will be looking at every single part of the equation,'' Mr Devereux said after a Q&A session at the American Chamber of Commerce.

it looks gloomy

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Certainly is a bit of a worry for those looking to move over, not many dollars for our pounds and unemployment rising.

Its still a lot better than where your leaving mate, Perths unemployment is still below 5% the last I heard, that's 19 people out of 20 in employment.

Its still a lot better than where your leaving mate, Perths unemployment is still below 5% the last I heard, that's 19 people out of 20 in employment.

Jim don't quote figures mate, the unemployment figures are those claiming on centre link ( dhss) all migrants who haven't been here 2 years do t claim plus the. Folk who have small savings who can't claim they are very spurious figures , eg a fast food place advertised a job there were 120 adult applicants , where before you could say zero to 5 adult applicants . The state govt are slashing jobs, looking dodgy bud

Jim don't quote figures mate, the unemployment figures are those claiming on centre link ( dhss) all migrants who haven't been here 2 years do t claim plus the. Folk who have small savings who can't claim they are very spurious figures , eg a fast food place advertised a job there were 120 adult applicants , where before you could say zero to 5 adult applicants . The state govt are slashing jobs, looking dodgy bud

Yes that is certainly the picture I am getting from friends there.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its tough everywhere mate, I wouldn't emigrate without one of us having a job to go to these days, it also would be same if I was thinking about coming back to the UK, most jobs are very low paid and part time that are advertised here.

Guest Guest 47403
Its tough everywhere mate, I wouldn't emigrate without one of us having a job to go to these days, it also would be same if I was thinking about coming back to the UK, most jobs are very low paid and part time that are advertised here.

7.7% unemployment in the UK not good prospects for job seekers at the moment, most newly created jobs are part time so even that figure is underestimated probably closer to 10%.

The UK hasn't had 5.6% unemployment for a long long time.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
7.7% unemployment in the UK not good prospects for job seekers at the moment, most newly created jobs are part time so even that figure is underestimated probably closer to 10%.

The UK hasn't had 5.6% unemployment for a long long time.

7.7% isn't bad though mate, but it's not as good as 5.6% and before it's mentioned, the figures are cooked in both countries and doesn't tell the full story.

Guest Guest 47403
7.7% isn't bad though mate, but it's not as good as 5.6% and before it's mentioned, the figures are cooked in both countries and doesn't tell the full story.

I know where I'd rather be should I be looking for work though!

The official unemployment rate is substantially higher in Brisbane than my region in SE UK. I got a job offer in UK whilst on holiday, in Brisbane in and out of casual work (IT) for a year and like many, never was counted as unemployed. It's people's experiences of job hunting that matters. In UK seems there is work for skilled IT. Don't know anyone in IT in SE UK out of a job or struggling. Mate in Brisbane advertised junior BA role recently, was swamped with applicants, many senior BA's included. Similarly, seems to be shortage of nurse vacancies in Brisbane. IT and nursing still on jobs in demand list for migration as far as I know. I wouldn't advise anyone in these fields to go to Oz without a job offer unless the have substantial savings to live off while they seek employment. Feel utterly sorry for those sucked in by streets of gold rubbish peddled to make a quick buck for those immigration profiteers.

The official unemployment rate is substantially higher in Brisbane than my region in SE UK. I got a job offer in UK whilst on holiday, in Brisbane in and out of casual work (IT) for a year and like many, never was counted as unemployed. It's people's experiences of job hunting that matters. In UK seems there is work for skilled IT. Don't know anyone in IT in SE UK out of a job or struggling. Mate in Brisbane advertised junior BA role recently, was swamped with applicants, many senior BA's included. Similarly, seems to be shortage of nurse vacancies in Brisbane. IT and nursing still on jobs in demand list for migration as far as I know. I wouldn't advise anyone in these fields to go to Oz without a job offer unless the have substantial savings to live off while they seek employment. Feel utterly sorry for those sucked in by streets of gold rubbish peddled to make a quick buck for those immigration profiteers.

Good advice

I was reading a story earlier after seeing this thread and it said that although the rate had fallen recently it was almost entirely part time work and fulltime unemployment had risen and wages were falling also. Its certainly not rosey anywhere nowadays. It is a worry.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Still better in Australia at present, it might go in to recession and unemployment may increase by a third like it has here in the UK, or ....... It might not, no one can predict the future. It's getting tough over in Australia that's for sure, but for those emigrating they know how tough it is here, so they should be prepared for it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Perth only has 4.9% unemployment the last I heard, in a lot of places in the UK it's almost double that, I'm not saying its not looking as good as say last year, but it's still better than here, so my relatives and friends say.

Archived