Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi guys just wondering how much shift allowance lifts your salary by assuming are doing full rotation of shifts have been told raises between 15 and 20% does that sound right or nowhere near that much?

For Qld health:

[h=2]Shift allowances[/h] If you are rostered for shift work, you will receive the following shift allowances in addition to your base rate of pay:

• 12.5 per cent for afternoon shifts

• 20 per cent for night shifts

• 50 per cent for Saturdays

• 75 per cent for Sundays

• 150 per cent for special Public Holidays - Easter Saturday and Labor Day

• 50 per cent for all other Public Holidays

• 100 per cent for Christmas Day, special loading

For Qld health:

Shift allowances

If you are rostered for shift work, you will receive the following shift allowances in addition to your base rate of pay:

• 12.5 per cent for afternoon shifts

• 20 per cent for night shifts

• 50 per cent for Saturdays

• 75 per cent for Sundays

• 150 per cent for special Public Holidays - Easter Saturday and Labor Day

• 50 per cent for all other Public Holidays

• 100 per cent for Christmas Day, special loading

Those are great allowances!! Now I understand why most nurses I've spoken to say go for shift work and not mon-fri work!

I've been reading through this whole thread as much as I can and have gained a lot of info from it, one answer I couldn't see or may have overlooked was- when do I need tonapply to AHPRA?

We are applying for a PR visa either 189 or 190 however once we get our visa we don't want to move straight away, I understand we have 1 year to validate our visa and it will most likely be almost a year after getting our visa that we will make the move (want to get extra savings in that year after getting visa)

considering this , do you think it will be ok for me to leave AHPRA till the end and apply once we have completed everything else and obtained our visa? I've saw that AHPRA can take anything up to 10months so that wouldn't bother me as we wouldn't want to make the month till that time after receiving our visa.

Thakyou.

Shift work also gives you an extra week's holiday per annum

Even better, I just worry that the early/late shifts won't give me much time with the kids.I remember doing the 'old' shifts years ago and I could be doing 10days in a row, late one day, early the next for 10days straight then would get 4 or 5 days off together.

Hated 12hour shifts at first but now I feel very accustomed to them and enjoy only having my 3 or 4 days on with 4 days off.

will be a hard switch but I'm ready for it! :)

Even better, I just worry that the early/late shifts won't give me much time with the kids.I remember doing the 'old' shifts years ago and I could be doing 10days in a row, late one day, early the next for 10days straight then would get 4 or 5 days off together.

Hated 12hour shifts at first but now I feel very accustomed to them and enjoy only having my 3 or 4 days on with 4 days off.

will be a hard switch but I'm ready for it! :)

The standard practice (rarely followed) at my wife's hospital, is a late followed by an early with either 2 or 3 nights once a month. They have a roster that they fill days off in red and can pencil in their preferred shifts or a shift that they must have (eg perhaps an early because they have something on in the evening, also in red). As long as the total skill mix is ok and all shifts are covered, the NUM will sign it off. IOW, the staff work it between themselves which shifts they will do with the NUM checking to see all is OK.

If you work full-time you also get an RDO (rostered day off) once a month to compensate for the extra 2 hrs a week that you work over the 38hr week. if you tag this onto a weekend off, you can get a long weekend to enjoy a break away or whatever. Tag your next 2 days off onto this and you get 5 days off but you then have to work 10 days before your next day off. NUM's are generally very accomodating as long as the skill mix on the ward is OK

Quick question guys regards AHPRA. Once I register with AHPRA does that mean I'm registered to work in all states? Is it a national registration rather than a state one like in the past.

Also does it matter when you register with them? From what I can see (but I may have got this wrong) if I register now (Jan) I will have to re-register again in April? If that is the case I am taking it I will have to pay the same fees again but with only a few months in between?

BTW, anyone know of any scrub nursing jobs going in their hospital. Will consider VIC, QLD, NSW, or Perth. Do not want to work in CBD though. Still near enough to a big enough town or city but not rural.

Help from anyone out there would be gratefully appreciated. Hope you all had a fab xmas and a great new year.

:0)

Hi everyone!

My names Becky I'm 24 year old staff nurse qualified 2years in the uk and I've been working in intensive care. I've sent my ahpra application, and currently looking into getting a 457 visa. Can anyone point me in the right direction, going insane with researching where to start! Do I need to find a job first to get a sponsorship????

Looking to live in sydney, maybe randwick area. Thanks!! Becky :)

Hi everyone!

My names Becky I'm 24 year old staff nurse qualified 2years in the uk and I've been working in intensive care. I've sent my ahpra application, and currently looking into getting a 457 visa. Can anyone point me in the right direction, going insane with researching where to start! Do I need to find a job first to get a sponsorship????

You would be far better going for PR in the first place. Sponsorship is getting very difficult in some areas (such as Brisbane) and often the only sponsorship available is for unpopular areas. With your age and experience a PR visa would save you a lot of hassle in the long run

Guest guest79615
Hi everyone!

Sydney are sponsoring nurses for 457 visa, look at international recruitment agencies who will find you a full time job with a hospital, employed by the hospital for no fee. I went for 457 as its quicker, lasts 4 years and im not sure i want to stay any longer than that and if i do i will apply for PR when im over there, some people prefer PR straight up though. Good luck xx

Just be aware that there have been cases whereby sponsored nurses who have lost their jobs, have had to return to the UK as they couldn't find another sponsor within the 28day time limit

Indeed....and given today's news in Brisbane the situation is not getting better....I know several nurses who have taken redundancy and many who simply have not had their contracts renewed.

Guest guest79615

yeah that would be disappointing but i think if you have no kids and only yourself to fend for its not as bad, i initially wanted to go to queensland but when i seen what was going on there with nursing i felt that would be too risky. A lot of people prefer PR for security..i don't think far enough ahead in the future for that lol

Hi Everyone,

My names Hayley, hubbie Nige and 2 cheeky kids Harry 6, and Evan 3!! We obtained our 175 visa last Aug 2012 and are due to fly out to Perth in May for 3 weeks to activate, we will be staying in a holiday rental in Rockingham. The whole moving thing is totally my 17 year dream!! so hopefully he will love it as much as me as he has never been to Oz before!

I currently work in the ED as a Sister and have been there for 10 years so slightly aprehensive at the thought of a new change but excited too!! we have visited many expos over the years but we feel getting over there we will be able to meet and speak with people in the know (i hope!) we are looking to make the move in between christmas and new year 2013/2014 as dont want my eldest son to miss to much of school as he would have already missed the first year.

Just after some advice really and hope anyone can help??

- Is it worth looking at hospitals when I am over there? Does anyone work in the ED in any of the Hospitals in and around Perth? any advice?? Is it easy enough to find permanent work? also what would the pay be like for my experience? Would i start at the bottom scale?

- suburbs, any advice would be great on different areas, we dont really want the city life, we are a very active outdoors type of family, the kids swim and play rugby so would want to continue that, hubbie into cycling and like sitting in the sun with a vino!! but hey ho hehe so on a serious note I would really appreciate some advice on nice affordable places to settle so that we can look at them in May.

- car hire - We have been looking at prices for the 3 weeks in may (WOW) i should change my career and go into this! any advice on who to use, Argus seems to be the cheapest. Any ideas on how far it is from the airport to Rockingham as might get a cab then look into car hire then.

Sorry to bombard with questions, it just seems very sureal at the minute as last time i was on here i was asking about visas!! now its actually happening!

Thanks again for listening

Kindest Regards

Hayley, Nige & Boys xx

Hallo everyone I am an A&E Nurse only 5 years experience with husband who's an ODP and a little boy who's 2 years old looking to move York WA and I'm in the process of applying for the visa and got stuck on the question about skills assessment , also wanted to ask you all if do you know if my husband and child ( British) can get away with no medicals as at the moment my husband has no job in Auz we hoping for him to look when we get there.

Archived