What is your LEAST favourite Australian capital city and why?

Red Rose

What is your least favourite Australian capital city?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favourite Australian capital city?

• Canberra
    • Sydney
    • Darwin
    • Brisbane
    • Adelaide
    • Hobart
    • Melbourne
    • Perth

Been to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide and a few smaller towns and places like the sunshine coast and Gold Coast. Canberra has nothing that I came to Australia for. It's miles away from the sea and coast and feels like Milton Keynes.

All the rest are great.

I would say realistically there are only 2 proper cities - Sydney and Melbourne.

All the rest are large towns

What's your criteria? Although I should know better by now than to ask such questions. I must not have had my fill of being patronised today :)

It can't be population as Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide are also over a mill. I think I'm correct in saying that only Birmingham and London have populations over the million in the UK. Are the other sixty odd 'cities' in the UK also small towns?

What's your criteria? Although I should know better by now than to ask such questions. I must not have had my fill of being patronised today :)

It can't be population as Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide are also over a mill. I think I'm correct in saying that only Birmingham and London have populations over the million in the UK. Are the other sixty odd 'cities' in the UK also small towns?

<Pedant>You're not comparing like with like though. Aussie city populations are based on "Metropolitan area" totals. UK ones are based on the actual local government boundaries.

E.g., Manchester metro area is well over a mill (about 2.5 from memory) - but "Manchester" per se is only about 500K or so because it doesn't include Salford, Bury, Bolton, Oldham, Trafford, Tameside etc etc

Just sayin'

:wink:

</Pedant>

<Pedant>You're not comparing like with like though. Aussie city populations are based on "Metropolitan area" totals. UK ones are based on the actual local government boundaries.

E.g., Manchester metro area is well over a mill (about 2.5 from memory) - but "Manchester" per se is only about 500K or so because it doesn't include Salford, Bury, Bolton, Oldham, Trafford, Tameside etc etc

Just sayin'

:wink:

</Pedant>

I'm getting traumatic childhood flashbacks to the many many times when I'd ask my dad an innocent question and be pinned to the spot 40 minutes later while he rustled through his Encyclopaedia Britanicca's. Your kids don't know how lucky they are to grow up in the age of google!

I'm getting traumatic childhood flashbacks to the many many times when I'd ask my dad an innocent question and be pinned to the spot 40 minutes later while he rustled through his Encyclopaedia Britanicca's. Your kids don't know how lucky they are to grow up in the age of google!

All depends on what page you read on google though. Who knows what the truth is any more. It's easy to make a web page look ultra professional and then put the biggest lies on there. Someone will then use that as part of an argument. Must be true, it's on the net.

All depends on what page you read on google though. Who knows what the truth is any more. It's easy to make a web page look ultra professional and then put the biggest lies on there. Someone will then use that as part of an argument. Must be true, it's on the net.

True dat.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have been to 4 and 5 if you include Cairns, have to say I like rural so like Cairns and Darwin but I prefer Sydney to Melbourne in the larger cities.

Canberra or Perth. Perth looks nicer superficially so probably Canberra. Though I would rather live in either of those than Darwin ( a great city) because it is soo hot.

I worked in Darwin for a month in July and the temperature was just about perfect for me. Escaped the coldest month in Perth, much to my wife's chagrin. I like Darwin.

Having moved to Canberra from Bedfordshire (not far from Milton Keynes!) a little over over 3 years ago I must say how impressed I am with it. Our goal was to move to Perth but we couldn't get permanent resident visas (State sponsored) there hence we chose Canberra. The coast is 1 1/2 hours drive away and we drive there almost every 2nd Saturday. My son and I have learnt to surf and have bought boards and wet suits. Canberra is surrounded by bush land, rivers and lakes and the Brindebella mountains are a short drive away. Traffic jams don't exist, unlike in Sydney or Melbourne and the crime rate is very low. It is the sunniest Capital on the East coast. Salaries are higher than anywhere else in Australia and it is a great place to bring up kids. The only similarity to Milton Keynes is that both Canberra and MK have a Costco...Having said all that, I would say Perth has the edge over Canberra but Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are much less attractive...

Guest Ptp113
Interesting to see that the 2 cities with most votes are actually the best cities in my view...it seems to me that it is necessary to live in Canberra in order to appreciate it..

I live here and voted against Canberra. The last thing we need is more moving people here, as you'd no doubt understand. Stay away!!!!

Archived