Liverpool, England

Red Rose

Guest Ptp113
Anyone here from Liverpool or been?

I have never actually been and wonder what people's impressions are?

I occasionally see jobs advertised there and wonder what it would be like to live...

"you can't be serious"

hi I have been there a few times the centre is really nice these days. fixed it up in about 2006 to be capital of culture. lots of museums pubs resturants etc. I suspect it may be like Birmingham tho money spent on the centres during the boom years of labour spend spend spend but the outter suburbs arent very nice. well not many of them

I occasionally see jobs advertised there and wonder what it would be like to live...

i like liverpool a lot ......it has a real bad reputation here in the u.k ......which is completely unfounded .....there are some real rough bits .....but coming from brum is a good preparation .......there is still a community spirit in liverpool ......and if you can match them punch for punch in the humour and banter dept you are well in ......they suss you very quickly ......never had a problem .

I think the 'bad' reputation Liverpool has is decreasing. It's an amazing city! I go sometimes - lots of museums and galleries - lots of nice pubs - and the people are friendly! And last year, they put on an amazing show which was televised (well, in the NW at least) to mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic - have a look at this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-17777090. Looked amazing - wish I was there for that. But, yes, an interesting city, with its links to music (Beatles) and maritime history, I'd recommend a visit. :)

"you can't be serious"

How many times have you been to liverpool wendee ?........let me guess ......errrrrrrrr none .......that was the impression i had until i worked there .....it aint las vegas .....but very few places have there own defined spirit ......liverpool has it ......you are either in it or you you aint .

Its not like the west midlands where brum rolls into wolverhampton or coventry .....its very defined

The only other place i have ever been where i could say the city had a soul ....an energy was san francisco .......you cant build it ......having sunshine doesnt guarantee it ........i worked in toxteth and kenny , which are rough....... but i would rather work and have a beer there , than in inner city birmingham.

• Like 1

".....but very few places have there own defined spirit ......liverpool has it ....."

I agree with this totally...

I lived in Liverpool (& subsequently in the Wirral) for over a year & absolutely loved it....

The city is vibrant, the wit of the people is legendary - it has a 'buzz' all of its own....

Extreme wealth (& fame) & extreme poverty - this city has seen it all & the architecture & atmosphere exudes that....

If you're the kind of person who likes hard-working people with a tendency to take themselves not too seriously & have a razor-sharp sense of humour, you'll love it....

• Like 2

Guest Guest16631

........loved my time in Liverpool..............it does have a vibe...........!

........beautiful parks............Sefton and princess park were favourites of mine.....

.........walks along the Albert docks......

..........though this was in the early 80's.............lots of new development now........

...........well worth a stay.......ime....

Wow I opened into this thread with trepidation expecting to become angered from the negatives posts that Liverpool usually attracts. How lovely to read so many positive posts. I am from Liverpool and see the positives and negatives of the city as people have said there is good and bad like with everywhere. Liverpool has a lot to offer I think its a great city and is very unique. There is a lot of culture, great bars restaurants and people. I would say everyone needs to live in Liverpool at sometime in their lives x

• Like 1

i worked in liverpool for almost 4 yrs , i was the only Manc amongst them and took many many months to be accepted . they are a unique breed , they look after each other ,watch each others back ect they love a bargain too.........had some good fantastic laughs with them on site too

• Like 2

As a Beatles (and Gerry & The Pacemakers, Searchers, & more up to date, Echo and The Bunnymen) 'tragic' I've always had a soft spot for Liverpool. Reminds me, I must try and get a copy of Gerry and The Pacemakers' movie 'Ferry Cross The Mersey', although, come to think of it, I think bloody Jimmy Saville has a small part!? I don't even mind the two (or is it three, including Tranmere?) footie teams, unlike the ones from just down (or up) the road. I just bought a red T shirt in Vinnies with 'Liverpool - probably the finest city in the world' on the front.

Wow, thanks for the replies. I, too, was expecting a few negative responses as Liverpool *used* to have that reputation. I am really looking forward to spending a weekend there and enjoying some craic with the locals. There are not many cities you go to these days which have a buzz all of their own.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the replies. I, too, was expecting a few negative responses as Liverpool *used* to have that reputation. I am really looking forward to spending a weekend there and enjoying some craic with the locals. There are not many cities you go to these days which have a buzz all of their own.

You don't live on benendon avenue do you

To me its a great city,tiny compared to London etc,but the part its had to play in world history is well in excess of its size.

Would i choose it to move to for work?no,its not the best area,but if your jobs in demand it wont matter

We had a bad rep,some deserved,some not,gonna do a bit of stereotyping here but anyway....

The city centre is transformed,but the council(like other councils)needs to look at deprived areas as well.

Loads of nice areas to live,but for me its the people who make my city,if yer a shrinking violet its not for you,if yer like people being straight/wearing their heart on their sleeve?then move here:wink:

"......its the people who make my city......"

You are so right Pablo....

When I was there I hit hard times for a while & needed to get rid of a lot of 'stuff'....

The 'good' stuff went up to Charnock Richard antiques market but the 'ordinary' stuff was piled high both in & on my little car & driven at an ungodly hour through the tunnel from the Wirral to do the 'market' under the Cathedral in the underground circular car park....

You had to be there really, really early to get a space 'inside' & I was rigged rotten for my (perceived) 'plummy' accent....

( "Yes that's right - I thought I was born with a silver spoon - but it turned out to be E.P.N.S & now I'm selling it 'cos the servants are revolting" ) ( In Liverpool this has to be delivered dead-pan.... )

I don't think I ever had to lift anything down off my roof-rack ever again....

At least three burly 'scousers' would appear by magic to help me unload.....you'd go a long way to find such generosity of spirit in a city....

• Like 1