Those who have moved back to UK...What do you miss about Australia???

mygirlies

Sunshine (but I mean autumn and spring NOT summer)

Having enough money for the first time in our lives

Having a pretty stress free job

coffee, my God I miss the coffee

Living by the beach

Being on an adventure

Night shifts.....being paid 500 bucks to sleep and go on pomsinoz

Some of the friends we made

That lovely elderly couple of the end of Felix Crescent that always stopped to say hello!

Whats DONT I miss:

Renting

Rude estate agents

Rip off culture

Oz arrogance and different sense of humour

appalling driving

Poor education

The thought of being eaten when I go swimming

Flat racing (I'm a cheltenham national hunt man!)

appalling food, grisley chicken!

Ex-pats! Just some of the ones we met! But some were very nice

poor quality nursing

Overall, on reflection, and with those rose tinted glasses and a kind of positive negative brain....coming back was both the wrong and the right thing to do. I'm still 50/50 on it. But, basically, we could have always come home but we can never go back now...

Edited by blobby1000

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true ! been here 40 years and found no difference. Even when you make a friendship if you move suburbs even just 10km it is oh i will pop round for coffee but they rarely do. Been in our current suburb for 2 year no idea who lives next door, have waved and said good morning a few times but got the look of " why are you smiling at me ? " Far worse in the city, you do get the odd smile and how are you as they walk past in the country. It never use to be like this, as i said we have been here a very long time. I remember about 20 year ago we lost most of our roof in a storm, whole house flooded, people came from everywhere to help even the local scout group one of the kids was a member off. You new the people next door people kept an eye out for each other those days are long gone. Sad really

I do not believe its just in Aus this happens it happens everywhere. There have been quite a few articles about friendship etc in the media in recent times and as most of them have said we as people really only have time for two or three good friends in our life. Its not that we do not want to be friends we just cannot give another friend the watering that is needed for the friendship to grow. I have many friends and see only a couple all the time, mainly because I just do not get around to it. They live further away in another suburb and its got to be arranged to catch up. Something turns up the catchup does not happen as we have busy lives.

We cannot wait around if we want friends and lots of them we need to give other time such as family time, work time, our own time to fostering that friendship and as we need money to live and if we have family also we are time poor.

Aussies are no different to Brits, a lot have families and spend time with them, whether they want to or not is another matter, depending on the matriarchal system in their family and how guilty they are made to feel if they don't spend time with family.

I returned to the UK to live and did not make one friend just stayed within the bounds of the family. I did not bother about it its just the way it was and if I had to include a friend I am sure if we had stayed there I would have, but probably it would have been more family related.

I also ask the question and have asked it before, how many of us this week, last month, last year, invited a new comer to the country to our homes this includes those living in Britain and those living in Aus. We just do not think to do it as we are too tooo busy with our own lives.

We cannot blame people for being just like us.

Edited by Petals

• 2 weeks later...
I hear so often about all the things we Brits miss about the UK and of course I miss all those things too.

But I would be really interested to hear from those who have moved back to the UK (for whatever reason)

What do you miss about living in Australia??

Or what WOULD you miss about Australia if you were to return to the mother land??

Thank you :)

I never ever thought i'd ever regret leaveing Australia.But Australia is home i know that now,after living there for 27 years,and thinking i could just leave and go to England that i thought was my real home,was a huge mistake.The ordinary people where i come from are great,the salt of the earth,the countryside is beautiful,it hasn't changed.But the England i once knew has gone forever.British politicians have ruined it,The Tories in now are making it worse.It's run by total incompetent idiots,the people in authourity,only know numbers,the banks,car insurance companies,the councils,and most busisness are rackets.It's so backward,and incompetent,it beggars belief.It's third world.I could never remember the weather being so bad,it has never stopped raining since we arrived last October,dark and so depressing.I have probaly lived in Australia too long,i think Australian,i am on a total different wave band to the English way of life,trying to get settled is a daily battle it's so hard.It's so easy in Australia.You have to make a appiontment here, just to see a bank clerk,the bank manager is god.In Australia i could just walk into our local commenwealth bank and see the manager anytime,just call the mayor up and talk to him.Ring the doctors and be seen the same day,The huge queues everywhere.The TV is rubbish repeats all the time.The internet is good unlimited downloads and only £2.50 A month.Australia is paradise in another world.The Lucky Country,is truly a great description.The bad news is my wife dosen't mind the cold loves the beautiful countryside,the ancient churches ect,she couldn't stand the heat in Aus.Our social life is better,going to the working man's club,twice a week,and having a jolly time,the beer is better the food is better,cars are cheap,as is the cost of living.We have bought a house,half the size of the house we had in Aus on 5 acres.But it is warm and cosy.And only cost £120,000 in a rural village.with veiws as far as the eye can see.I would have gone back the first weeks ,but my wife wants us to stick it out for a year,and give it time.So thats what we will do.Whatever i say or anyone else,we all have to find out for ourselves in the end.I'm lucky realy as i still have friends i grew up with near at hand.

I never ever thought i'd ever regret leaveing Australia.But Australia is home i know that now,after living there for 27 years,and thinking i could just leave and go to England that i thought was my real home,was a huge mistake.The ordinary people where i come from are great,the salt of the earth,the countryside is beautiful,it hasn't changed.But the England i once knew has gone forever.British politicians have ruined it,The Tories in now are making it worse.It's run by total incompetent idiots,the people in authourity,only know numbers,the banks,car insurance companies,the councils,and most busisness are rackets.It's so backward,and incompetent,it beggars belief.It's third world.I could never remember the weather being so bad,it has never stopped raining since we arrived last October,dark and so depressing.I have probaly lived in Australia too long,i think Australian,i am on a total different wave band to the English way of life,trying to get settled is a daily battle it's so hard.It's so easy in Australia.You have to make a appiontment here, just to see a bank clerk,the bank manager is god.In Australia i could just walk into our local commenwealth bank and see the manager anytime,just call the mayor up and talk to him.Ring the doctors and be seen the same day,The huge queues everywhere.The TV is rubbish repeats all the time.The internet is good unlimited downloads and only £2.50 A month.Australia is paradise in another world.The Lucky Country,is truly a great description.The bad news is my wife dosen't mind the cold loves the beautiful countryside,the ancient churches ect,she couldn't stand the heat in Aus.Our social life is better,going to the working man's club,twice a week,and having a jolly time,the beer is better the food is better,cars are cheap,as is the cost of living.We have bought a house,half the size of the house we had in Aus on 5 acres.But it is warm and cosy.And only cost £120,000 in a rural village.with veiws as far as the eye can see.I would have gone back the first weeks ,but my wife wants us to stick it out for a year,and give it time.So thats what we will do.Whatever i say or anyone else,we all have to find out for ourselves in the end.I'm lucky realy as i still have friends i grew up with near at hand.

Culture shock mate, or situational depression, that's what we were told when we moved to Aus and couldn't settle. Give it 6 to 12 months if then you cannot settle and the UK isn't for you then move back to Aus. There is absolutely no point in being somewhere that isn't right for you or your family.

I felt exactly the same way about Aus, so the family and I moved back to the UK and things have been on the up ever since each to their own and I wish you all the best on your life's journey.

The world would be a very boring place if every country was the same...IMO.

I miss my family and friends.I miss people being "straight up"and telling it how it is.Can't be done with this stiff upper lip BS!I do find Australians more open and friendly than us brits.I miss my local pub(country town)and the people in it!lol So for me its mainly the people.I don't feel "attached"to a country.Personally I can be happy in either Australia or the UK.If I left the UK I would also miss family members.

Funny how we find people different, I find Brits far more open and easy to make friends with than Aussies and that is why I think so many poms find it hard to make friends with Aussies, you can be in a pub and chat to anyone in a pub in the UK but it just seems very hard to do in oz, never found anyone with a stiff upper lip...:eek:

Doesn't bother me, if I offend then don't read my posts. The people who I work and associate with say it how it is, and they are from ALL walks of life, colour and creed. I prefer people who say it as it is because you know where you stand.

Your post made me chuckle...people not wearing shoes......then going on to say 'you know where you stand' ha..tickled me x

I think once you have lived in a place for so long, things do become 'easy' ..'normal'..because I feel the same about the UK..like u do about oz..it's just what we get used too...the politics in oz I found like u find UK politicians..incompetent, like a circus..I found oz backwards and on it goes..like I day, I think it's just what we gets used to.

• Like 1

That is how I felt when I went back to live after i got married. how ever as has been said you get used to it, then when and if you come back here its the opposite, its called different countries, different lives, we need to be different.

Aaahh Zack. I haven’t looked back over your posts but I do remember how unhappy you were. It is still early days, the upheaval of the move, resettling, finding new likes and dislikes, discovering what has changed or stayed the same, trying to find where and how you fit in. And doing all of that against a backdrop of the wettest winter on record, how could any of that be easy or simple? And nothing stays the same, 27 years is a long time to hold on to a memory. Whatever happens now, you will have slain some ghosts and have a truer, clearer idea of where you want to go or need to be. Good luck. Tx

I'm Australia-bound, but from prior visits, I would have to say the openness and lack of stiff upper lip crap, chicken twisters, cherry ripes,outdoor lifestyle, Aussie rules!!, decent cricket!, the never never!!

What is this stiff upper lip you speak of? Never ever witnessed it where I live....is it like that in paddy land then?

I will miss the (non-insect) wildlife. The flora and fauna here blow me away. I am looking forward to seeing some squirrels again though.

Whoops I mentioned the wildlife in an earlier post, sorry.

I'll miss the breakfast/brunch culture, makes it so much easier to catch up with friends now we all have kids.

Edited by Aunt Agatha

• 3 weeks later...
I hear so often about all the things we Brits miss about the UK and of course I miss all those things too.

But I would be really interested to hear from those who have moved back to the UK (for whatever reason)

Or what WOULD you miss about Australia if you were to return to the mother land??

We moved back to the Uk last October.And what we miss about Australia is everything it stands for,i didn't used to believe it,but Australia does stand for a fair go,for it's citizens and the country.Britain's Politicians has no time for it's citizens or the Country,here you are a number,part of the EU,Britain has lost it's soveriegnty.The System is corupt from top to bottom.In Australia,there is no class structure.It's rife in the UK.My bank manager at the Commenwealth BanK where i used to go at Gatton Queensland,had his door open,anytime you needed to see him,on a first name basis.Here bank managers,think they are gods,As do anyone in authority,doctors in Australia,have a friendly caring attitude,again always on a first name basis.Not what i have met in the UK.Britain is tied up in a knot, with so many rules and regulations,It's obsessed with money laundering,the security questions you have to go through,just to change your address,is pathetic.My friends keep telling me,i'll get used to the system,it will take time.It is so easy living in Australia.It realy is the lucky country.My fault i put my hands up.I lived in Australia too long,27 years.To Come back to the UK is like another planet.Only the beautiful countryside, has so far not been destroyed by British Politicians.The enemy within.The Tories got Britain into the EU,and they will never get us out.+Labour wants to stay in.The EU is a catistrophic disaster.Since the Tories took office they have lost control of how many EU migrants they have let in since taking office in 2010 + they have trippled Britains debt.to £1.6 trillion..In 2013 they admitted They issued 618,000 new NI numbers for that year alone, the Tories say Britains recovery is the best in the world.And we need immigrants.The Tories are totaly incompetent.

my ozzie mates ...not the house ...not the beach ....not the weather ...the end

Achieved more than me Bunbury, I had NO mates! That electric garage door syndrome, and I might be wrong but I doubt it, I never felt welcomed by the Aussies within my immediate reach making me feel like an outsider. I miss....? Absolutely zip. I truly cannot even think of a minute detail I remember fondly as I found myself existing in AU. Now I'm ALIVE again !!!!