Two million quit Britain in talent drain.

jimmyay1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9819096/Two-million-quit-Britain-in-talent-drain.html

"Research for the Home Office last year found that almost half of all Britons who emigrate each year are professionals and company managers."

"Contrary to the perception of the typical emigrants being older people retiring to a life in the sun, the figures show that 1,963,000 of those who left were aged between 25 and 44.

By contrast, only 125,000 people of retirement age emigrated"

Nick de Bois, secretary of the 1922 Committee of backbench MPs, said that Britain needs a “culture change” to stem the flow of talented emigrants by encouraging success.

He added: “Questions have to be asked as to why, even in a truly global economy where labour markets are relatively open, we here in the UK cannot hold onto our own home-grown, home-educated talent.”

warning that Britain should encourage people to succeed and get rich, not criticise them.

There is no aspiration. Politicians live in their own little bubble. No idea what it is like to juggle money, struggle to pay bills and yet pillage from the UK's coffers and say that they made an error of judgement. Any other normal person would be jailed.

Then there's the child benefit scam. One family member earning £50,000 onwards is penilised yet two working members in the family below that threshold keep the full lot. Insane.

Then there is the good old propaganda of the Government selling the good old "we are taking thousands of people out of paying tax" lark by increasing the allowance to £9440 from April. What they fail to mention is the top rate threshold of 40% figure is being reduced so your working/middle classes get nothing out of it at all.

National Insurance gone up and will be going up again in the future.

On top of this is the benefits scam. At the moment, if you play the system you and a very large family can get yourself a very nice house with benefits at the tax payers expense. Why do you think the Tories are trying to limit the benefits to £26,000 max? What are they at the minute then????? So in essence that's £26,000 tax and NI free yet a working/middle class person on £35,000, less tax and NI must be asking, (and everyone below that wage), just what am I working for????

Terrorists. Hamza stays yet look at those two Brits, one with asperger's syndrome, that they were doing their best to deport to the USA.

Pensions, Students paying for their education, debt blah, blah, blah.

We have the best benefit system, rewarding, I would say in the world. This may explain why so many travel from afar to get here to get the help other well off European countries should be doing. Free NHS, education etc, etc. Love it here !!!

Immigrants coming in. Are they screened for their criminal record?

Maybe if our politicians grew a pair, had a backbone, then they might get my respect.

For starters, the differential between pay and benefits should exist to give aspiration to encourage work. If you work then it should pay. Simple.

Retention bonuses. I believe this operates in OZ. Won't happen here. Employers just want bums on seats and they don't care who. You want to go then see ya. That's the culture.

And if you don't like the cold weather, rain, wind, cloud then there's always the free doctor to get some pills from if you can get an appointment.

People just want fairness. If you work hard then you should be rewarded but in some cases you are rewarded for not doing anything at all. Maybe if working people were valued more instead of getting shafted then the figure would drop.

Yes, the minimum wage economy, with 7 million people on state tax credits as their firms are too mean to pay a living wage. It's totally barmy, big corporations profits subsidised by the government (general the taxpayer) to pay peanuts to their workers.

Oh well, the skilled and net contributers will continue to leave, and the unskilled will continue to come in and work in the black economy, or for £6 an hour and get their pay doubled up with tax credit benefits, until the money finally runs out. At least it won't be my problem!

Jimmy I am concerned. Think about it. All those people from April 2014 under £10000 not paying any tax. Subsidised by top up entitlements but paying NI next to nothing. Bosses already paying a low wage to the Brit but Jan from Warsaw or George from Somalia will do it even cheaper. More money in the bosses pocket.

Now there is this compulsory pension payment that bosses have to pay. Some wont be happy about that already having to pay the NI.

It's a mess.

My wife worked and had to give up to look after our kids. We received a letter through last week to say that she is 5 years short on contributions to a full state pension My wife is 44 and changes next year means she will be 10 years short in NI contributions for a full state pension. We have WORKED! ! I have luckily been employed for 28 years but my wife is penilised????

Things like this tick you off. Work should pay. Having a family should not be a penalty.

Couldn't give a fig where you come from or where you work as long as you are contributing to society. These past 13 years moreso, I would say the rot with me took hold 2004, I have just wanted to get my family out of here. Fresh start, better climate and more opportunity.

Next year the whole of Europe opens the doors to Romania and Bulgaria. Countries with next to nowt for the work force and benefits. What is the estimation for migrants from those countries to the UK?

My lad has got 7 "O" levels and is extending into college for "A" levels. He can't even get a part time job at the moment.

MO67:I hope Australia is everything you expect it to be.

That's the thing. I don't expect it to be better. The weather, lifestyle, opportunity yes but it will just be the same sh1t but different rock but not as bad as the UK. Politicians are probably the same. It's dearer in some or most cases and pay differences similar.

So with me the grass isnt greener but I need a change, better weather and better opportunities. I can't see that here for the forthcoming future.

There is no aspiration. Politicians live in their own little bubble. No idea what it is like to juggle money, struggle to pay bills and yet pillage from the UK's coffers and say that they made an error of judgement. Any other normal person would be jailed. No different in Oz. Current goverment says things like "My goverment will not intoroduce a carbon tax" Within weeks of election introduces a carbon tax

Then there's the child benefit scam. One family member earning £50,000 onwards is penilised yet two working members in the family below that threshold keep the full lot. Insane. You have seen nothing. The Oz baby bonus scheme and similar are maddness

Then there is the good old propaganda of the Government selling the good old "we are taking thousands of people out of paying tax" lark by increasing the allowance to £9440 from April. What they fail to mention is the top rate threshold of 40% figure is being reduced so your working/middle classes get nothing out of it at all. Taxes are about the same in Oz for the average person, if not a bit higher. Though, i think you are middle class if you are in the 40% bracket

National Insurance gone up and will be going up again in the future. The Oz equivalant is really super. A con on the grandest of schemes in which only the wealthy will ever get back what they put in and is about to go up.

On top of this is the benefits scam. At the moment, if you play the system you and a very large family can get yourself a very nice house with benefits at the tax payers expense. Why do you think the Tories are trying to limit the benefits to £26,000 max? What are they at the minute then????? So in essence that's £26,000 tax and NI free yet a working/middle class person on £35,000, less tax and NI must be asking, (and everyone below that wage), just what am I working for???? Plenty in Oz playing the system. Go around any of the rougher suburbs on a week day and its no different to the council estates

Terrorists. Hamza stays yet look at those two Brits, one with asperger's syndrome, that they were doing their best to deport to the USA. Assange! Oz wont do a thing to help its citizen because it might upset the USA

Pensions, Students paying for their education, debt blah, blah, blah. HEX debt here and higher education is generally poor at undergrad level

We have the best benefit system, rewarding, I would say in the world. This may explain why so many travel from afar to get here to get the help other well off European countries should be doing. Free NHS, education etc, etc. Love it here !!! Just the same here

Immigrants coming in. Are they screened for their criminal record? Plenty of immigration here that are very dodgy

Maybe if our politicians grew a pair, had a backbone, then they might get my respect. As above. Ozzies have to vote by law, but one side is a clown the other a liar

For starters, the differential between pay and benefits should exist to give aspiration to encourage work. If you work then it should pay. Simple. Yep. I do think there is more of a benefits culture, but Oz has its fair share

Retention bonuses. I believe this operates in OZ. Won't happen here. Employers just want bums on seats and they don't care who. You want to go then see ya. That's the culture. Retention bonus? I wish. Long service leave, but thats about it.

And if you don't like the cold weather, rain, wind, cloud then there's always the free doctor to get some pills from if you can get an appointment. Yep, here you have to pay. Unless you are on benefits. But it also means low earners often have poor health because they cant afford the docs. Also cases of people dying because they cant afford an ambulance. Would you like to see that in the UK? A system where you think you are having a heart attack, but dare not call an ambulance because you havent got the $700

People just want fairness. If you work hard then you should be rewarded but in some cases you are rewarded for not doing anything at all. Maybe if working people were valued more instead of getting shafted then the figure would drop.

Oz is not that different and as the work in the mines slows a lot and unemployment in WA starts to climb, things are going to get "interesting". There are going to be a lot of uneducated young guys on the dole used to a six figure income. It doesnt take a lot of imagination to see what the concequences will be

Oz is not that different and as the work in the mines slows a lot and unemployment in WA starts to climb, things are going to get "interesting". There are going to be a lot of uneducated young guys on the dole used to a six figure income. It doesnt take a lot of imagination to see what the concequences will be

Thanks for that. It is nice to hear opinion from the other half in OZ. So it's out of the frying pan and into the fire then? I guess it's just crap wherever you go :biglaugh:

I'm a weather orientated person. I'm miserable in the cold and happy in the heat. November to March I can't be arsed with it, honestly. I'm a Tshirt, shorts, cargo pants and shades guy and 24/7/365 if I have the chance that is all that I would wear.

I guess if the UK had a similar climate to Southern Spain or Cyprus then all that **** I could put to one side. It's this time of year when the soap box comes out.

Anyway I'm off my nights now and I'm off for 7 so I'll feel a bit better after my sleep. Roll on Spring / Summer.

J

My wife worked and had to give up to look after our kids. We received a letter through last week to say that she is 5 years short on contributions to a full state pension My wife is 44 and changes next year means she will be 10 years short in NI contributions for a full state pension.

I'm pretty certain that you can make up to about 7 years backpayments to make up in shortfall in contributions. If you do leave the UK you can continue to make reduced NI contributions from abroad to ensure your entitlement to a full state pension

Could not agree with you more, I witnessed it first hand in Makay young fellas that were used to the mine money but then got laid off, crying that $28 an hour in an unskilled job, was not enough for them and they couldn't live on it, and they were complete knuckle dragers , no skills , no education and there will be no future for them! When it all goes **** up it will be horrendous. The government will have a right mess to deal with.

They were lured in by the "big money" but now that things are getting tighter and they are getting laid off they have nothing!

I do giggle when I read those posts about how awfull the UK is.....how dire everything is and how its just got to be better in Oz.....been reading them for years from a whole host of people.....funny how they all say the same thing whilst they are in the UK patiently waiting for their visa's and then they all say the same thing when they are desperately trying to return home.....funny how naive some are.

I would say many of those are going or have gone to places where you earn tax free or at least a lower tax amount than in the UK and Australia.

I am one of them and I know as many others do that to make any money you have to go where the work is and you wont ever earn decent money working in the UK or Oz working as an employee.

The so called resources boom in western Oz is completely made up. Maybe a big sell to entice migrants to spend all their hard earned setting themselves up? That plan sure does keep Perths economy moving.

It may be booming for here due to the fact there was basically nowt here a few years ago but by international standards its a small market place

They do have a skills gap here, many people working here lack skills to do their jobs and no amount of training will make up for the lack of experience that these idiots dont have lol

if there was a genuine need for an input of workers they would pay market rates to attract people. many come and leave here due to the take home money being smaller than most other places.

Could not agree with you more, I witnessed it first hand in Makay young fellas that were used to the mine money but then got laid off, crying that $28 an hour in an unskilled job, was not enough for them and they couldn't live on it, and they were complete knuckle dragers , no skills , no education and there will be no future for them! When it all goes **** up it will be horrendous. The government will have a right mess to deal with.

They were lured in by the "big money" but now that things are getting tighter and they are getting laid off they have nothing!

But isn't that the same as the UK a few years ago?. You had blokes subbing on building sites earning £60,000 a year and driving around in big 4x4's, when traditionally it was only the owner who ended up with the big money.

Many overstretched themselves, made no provision for pensions, took big untaxed cash bonuses and began to think of that as normal....expensive holidays, big houses, all the gadgets.

As soon as the economy pumped and their work slowed down to a crawl, they had no savings to fall back on, so start complaining about people with good pension pots and steady, but lower paying jobs.....because they've got nothing and they now don't think that's fair. Pure greed.

These are the same buggers who didn't pay their taxes who are now complaining that the country has no money so they want it taken off other people. They simply cannot see the link.

But isn't that the same as the UK a few years ago?. You had blokes subbing on building sites earning £60,000 a year and driving around in big 4x4's, when traditionally it was only the owner who ended up with the big money.

Many overstretched themselves, made no provision for pensions, took big untaxed cash bonuses and began to think of that as normal....expensive holidays, big houses, all the gadgets.

As soon as the economy pumped and their work slowed down to a crawl, they had no savings to fall back on, so start complaining about people with good pension pots and steady, but lower paying jobs.....because they've got nothing and they now don't think that's fair. Pure greed.

These are the same buggers who didn't pay their taxes who are now complaining that the country has no money so they want it taken off other people. They simply cannot see the link.

It was the UK a few years ago and now maybe its Australia's time!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9819096/Two-million-quit-Britain-in-talent-drain.html

"Research for the Home Office last year found that almost half of all Britons who emigrate each year are professionals and company managers."

"Contrary to the perception of the typical emigrants being older people retiring to a life in the sun, the figures show that 1,963,000 of those who left were aged between 25 and 44.

By contrast, only 125,000 people of retirement age emigrated"

Excellent, more jobs for those who stay.

Thanks for that. It is nice to hear opinion from the other half in OZ. So it's out of the frying pan and into the fire then? I guess it's just crap wherever you go :biglaugh:

I'm a weather orientated person. I'm miserable in the cold and happy in the heat. November to March I can't be arsed with it, honestly. I'm a Tshirt, shorts, cargo pants and shades guy and 24/7/365 if I have the chance that is all that I would wear.

I guess if the UK had a similar climate to Southern Spain or Cyprus then all that **** I could put to one side. It's this time of year when the soap box comes out.

Anyway I'm off my nights now and I'm off for 7 so I'll feel a bit better after my sleep. Roll on Spring / Summer.

I like the sun, but it can be bad to work in. Fine when i am home and in the pool. At work at the moment up in the Pilbara and we would love your snow. Its been 40 all the time. Better than the other week when it was 48. But still stinking. Perth is hot as well - mid 30's.

Oz does have better weather for you than the UK. But, again its not perfect. Winter is cold and wet - Perth has a higher rainfall than London. The biggest issue is that the houses are not designed for it. So when its getting close to freezing you are living in a house with no heating, no double glazing, no insolation and generally freezing your balls off

I would say many of those are going or have gone to places where you earn tax free or at least a lower tax amount than in the UK and Australia.

I am one of them and I know as many others do that to make any money you have to go where the work is and you wont ever earn decent money working in the UK or Oz working as an employee.

The so called resources boom in western Oz is completely made up. Maybe a big sell to entice migrants to spend all their hard earned setting themselves up? That plan sure does keep Perths economy moving.

It may be booming for here due to the fact there was basically nowt here a few years ago but by international standards its a small market place

They do have a skills gap here, many people working here lack skills to do their jobs and no amount of training will make up for the lack of experience that these idiots dont have lol

if there was a genuine need for an input of workers they would pay market rates to attract people. many come and leave here due to the take home money being smaller than most other places.

If you can play the system correctly, there is no need to pay tax in the UK. If i return this year, i certainly wont.

I like the sun, but it can be bad to work in. Fine when i am home and in the pool. At work at the moment up in the Pilbara and we would love your snow. Its been 40 all the time. Better than the other week when it was 48. But still stinking. Perth is hot as well - mid 30's.

Oz does have better weather for you than the UK. But, again its not perfect. Winter is cold and wet - Perth has a higher rainfall than London. The biggest issue is that the houses are not designed for it. So when its getting close to freezing you are living in a house with no heating, no double glazing, no insolation and generally freezing your balls off

The insulation level is govt mandated, nearly every house has heating, and most air-con. Double and triple glazing aren't uncommon either. Your mistruths are getting bigger by the day, what exactly are you trying to achieve here?

I do giggle when I read those posts about how awfull the UK is.....how dire everything is and how its just got to be better in Oz.....been reading them for years from a whole host of people.....funny how they all say the same thing whilst they are in the UK patiently waiting for their visa's and then they all say the same thing when they are desperately trying to return home.....funny how naive some are.

Yes this past year there are lots of threads on people wanting to go back to the UK. That disappoints me. All that effort to give it a go for it not to work out. Must be concerning for those about to go out there questioning themselves if it is the right decision. In 2008 I can't remember that many. Seems to be on the up the discontent for some.

The title of the thread was 2 million leave and a question was why? Just a few points that I made that affect me. Weather and aspiration in particular. No naivety here. Utopia isn't 10,000 miles away and I did make that clear.

What is clear that within the next 9 years, one way or another, whether it be permenent or holiday home, we will be spending more time in a warmer climate, whether it be OZ, Cyprus or Spain but it won't be the UK. I need a better weather country. I won't be going back.

There are a lot of good things about the UK I like but my mind has been made up for a long time now, more so now watching this lot behave in PMQ's. :laugh:

I'm pretty certain that you can make up to about 7 years backpayments to make up in shortfall in contributions. If you do leave the UK you can continue to make reduced NI contributions from abroad to ensure your entitlement to a full state pension

It is 6 years, and I don't think you can pay reduced contributions from oz.

Archived