Two million quit Britain in talent drain.

jimmyay1

I like the sun, but it can be bad to work in. Fine when i am home and in the pool. At work at the moment up in the Pilbara and we would love your snow. Its been 40 all the time. Better than the other week when it was 48. But still stinking. Perth is hot as well - mid 30's.

Oz does have better weather for you than the UK. But, again its not perfect. Winter is cold and wet - Perth has a higher rainfall than London. The biggest issue is that the houses are not designed for it. So when its getting close to freezing you are living in a house with no heating, no double glazing, no insolation and generally freezing your balls off

Pilbara region. Cold and wet. You know it would be nice to wake up and think "yeah great it's raining" and really warm to that. This has to be the wettest year I have ever known here in the UK this past year.

I was looking at the cost of houses, purchase and rent, on the net, realestate.com, for Dampier and Karratha. My word !!!

I remember a headline in one of the Perth papers saying that Perth was going to embrace a chilly 15 degrees. :laugh: I guess with acclimatisation that would be similar to our 1 and 2 degrees here at the moment.

So you will just sponge off everyone else like the rich do....they are scum and the sooner loopholes are closed the better.

Been thinking about the politics of this.

If you have a lot of money and live comfortably then you can make that money work for you. Increase pension payments to the max. Good accountancy to pay a lower tax, off shore accounts.

If you live month to month then you are screwed. What comes in goes out. Work more over time, (miss out on family time) run faster but get nowhere and lose out on benefits, tax credits or child benefit because you exceed the limit, which defeats the object of working that bit more. You don't have the extra money to pay in to your pension so all in all you end up paying the extra tax.

If you are well off or come into a windfall then economical doors certainly do open up for you. If those doors don't open then a working life can be a very long and frustrating process at times.

The insulation level is govt mandated, nearly every house has heating, and most air-con. Double and triple glazing aren't uncommon either. Your mistruths are getting bigger by the day, what exactly are you trying to achieve here? = sheer nastiness

, I agree with the post that it is cold in winter and the high majority of houses here in perth are not built for the winter. and the rain here is also ...wet

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/abroad.htm#4

"It is 6 years, and I don't think you can pay reduced contributions from oz." - I'm not sure why that should be - it's worth the OP checking for himself though

Yeah I will do thanks for that. I have a choice of paying the shortfall for her now in full or in stages or sending her out back to work. Our kids are 14 and 16 but my wife will need to get a qualification for what she wants to do, which means night school, and then work and pay NI. It's that increase in contributions they are on about doing that will set her back another 5 years that have to look into solving. I'm paid up on mine.

In 22 years I wonder if there will be a state pension for us to be honest.

Does it really matter when we have all the poor Spanish professionals replacing the ones who are leaving here. It was on the news last night re how many nurses, teachers etc are coming here as there's no work at home for them. I really feel for them.

I like the sun, but it can be bad to work in. Fine when i am home and in the pool. At work at the moment up in the Pilbara and we would love your snow. Its been 40 all the time. Better than the other week when it was 48. But still stinking. Perth is hot as well - mid 30's.

Oz does have better weather for you than the UK. But, again its not perfect. Winter is cold and wet - Perth has a higher rainfall than London. The biggest issue is that the houses are not designed for it. So when its getting close to freezing you are living in a house with no heating, no double glazing, no insolation and generally freezing your balls off

Houses are built really poor in Perth and I worked on them, they are built to last about 30 years, have you ever tried to put a nail in the wall on a new built house in oz? The hammer will go straight through, insulation is none existent.

Houses are built really poor in Perth and I worked on them, they are built to last about 30 years, have you ever tried to put a nail in the wall on a new built house in oz? The hammer will go straight through, insulation is none existent.

30 years !!!??? For a brand new brick built house that they advertise all mod cons??

kind of off topic other than PB telling everyone how awful Australia is which i suppose after 8000 obsessive posts, still has some way to get out of his system.

Tell it as it is mate....never said it s awful, I s just same shitt different country and the heat s as bad as the cold.

Guest chris955

Totally agree, I have never actually seen a house in Australia with double glazing and effective heating is often difficult with the almost total lack of insulation.

30 years !!!??? For a brand new brick built house that they advertise all mod cons??

The bricks will last, fittings won't.

That's what the world does these days. Britain used to build houses that would never fall down, my first house was built in 1851 and will be there for another 100 years.

Local authorities used to procure equipment based on a 30yr life to show value to the taxpayer...now it's about 7.

Look at washing machines and vacuums, they're built for a finite life so the manufacturer can sell you another one and they know exactly how long they'll last before they start breaking down.

Shopping centres, public buildings....none of them are built to last a lifetime anymore. British housing estates....how many built in the 1970's have already been bulldozed, most of them?

The insulation level is govt mandated, nearly every house has heating, and most air-con. Double and triple glazing aren't uncommon either. Your mistruths are getting bigger by the day, what exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Are you in Perth? Have you ever been to Perth? Do you even know where it is on a map? The crap little bit of backed silver foil that modern houses get isnt what the developed world calls insulation. I have never seen double glazing in Sydney and only once in WA and that is a multi mill $$$ house. Dont you remember what happend to the insulation program and the house fires (because the wiring was so crap)

So you will just sponge off everyone else like the rich do....they are scum and the sooner loopholes are closed the better.

So who am i sponging off? I have private health, so dont use the NHS. I think the wars are illegal, so dont see why i should fund them, my home will be secure and i am unlikely to use the Police much, i dont have children so dont need to use the education system. Then, i will be asked to pay VAT on a lot of money spent. Taxes are not a good thing. They are a very bad thing. The more that is paid in tax, the more is wasted.

As i have said, i will pay what the goverment say i have to. But, working off shore, it is normal not to pay income tax if you follow the 90 day rule. If they change that, they wont get any more mnoney, but will lose a lot as all the guys who currently work off shore will simply decamp to a better tax regime, then the 100k a year they each spend in the UK is gone.

kind of off topic other than PB telling everyone how awful Australia is which i suppose after 8000 obsessive posts, still has some way to get out of his system.

Yeah, PB is terrible! Maybe he should focus on improving his life in the UK instead of constantly slagging off Australia. I believe that deep down he's gutted that he left Australia :-)

I guess the main problem I see now is that these benefits can't easily be removed, as so many people are on them and you can BET they'll all be voting if someone threatened to take their benefits away!

I do like the idea of the long service leave, 3 months to return to the UK! A months travel either side and a month there! :) Ha!

(Still it would be cheaper than the flights)

Archived